Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old April 2, 2013   #1
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Default Provider Green Beans

I have never planted green beans so as you can imagine I'm excited to have bought a pack of Provider Snap Bush Beans today.
They're organic, from Seeds of Change.
I have to grow them in a pot and I hope I get some beans.
Anyone grow these and did/do you use a container?
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #2
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I have a bunch of these growing in various pots right now. Have never grown beans either.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #3
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

I grow quite a few bush beans. I like to splip early maturing varieties in wherever I find a time slot. I've not grown Provider and I have not grown in containers but it looks like it would be a good choice. I find the earlier maturing varieties a little more compact as long as they don't get too much nitrogen. Best advice I can give is to give them at least half a day of good light and not handle them when they are wet.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

After trialing dozens of bush beans over the years, Provider is our overall favorite for earliness, cold tolerance, disease-resistance, taste and yield. I've grown them both in the ground and in raised beds but not in pots. They also are not nearly as tall as many other varieties so I'd think they would do well for you in containers. Even though I've been converted to pole beans, I still sow some Provider seed under glass or plastic for an early crop of yummy beans.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #5
Deborah

Sounds encouraging ! If I get even a few beans I'd be thrilled.
Old April 3, 2013   #6
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
After trialing dozens of bush beans over the years, Provider is our overall favorite for earliness, cold tolerance, disease-resistance, taste and yield. I've grown them both in the ground and in raised beds but not in pots. They also are not nearly as tall as many other varieties so I'd think they would do well for you in containers. Even though I've been converted to pole beans, I still sow some Provider seed under glass or plastic for an early crop of yummy beans.
Kath... Did you try Contender?

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
Old April 3, 2013   #7
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRidin View Post
Kath... Did you try Contender?
Yup, it's on my list of tried varieties but I don't remember what year we grew it or why it lost to Provider, though.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #8
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I'm a pole bean grower who is trying bush beans for the first time this year. I can't remember what variety I bought seeds for, but if they don't do well, I'll really have to give Contender a try next year.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #9
Deborah

I can't believe I went and checked the seeds today, looking for sprouting, when I only planted them yesterday !
Old April 3, 2013   #10
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Yup, it's on my list of tried varieties but I don't remember what year we grew it or why it lost to Provider, though.
Thanks Kath. I'll have to give Provider a try.

I've been getting very good yields from Tema (especially early season) and fair from Derby. Both get a bit longer vines than I would like and neither seem to handle the heat especially well for me. I grew up with Top Crop in MO in heavy soils where they were great in the heat but I never gotten a decent crop from them here on the eastern-shore of MD with our sandy soils. I might try them again now that I am in raised beds with a better soil mix.

George

Thomas Jefferson, 1787
Old April 5, 2013   #11
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Contender is the earliest snap I've ever trialed. It is also the least liked for flavor, of the hundreds of varieties of bush, half-runner, and pole beans that I've tasted. It has a strong "grassy" taste when harvested from my garden.

Provider takes longer to mature, but the flavor is good.

And, like tomatoes, waiting a bit longer brings the best flavored varieties, which are mostly ple types, for me.

Tormato
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2013   #12
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Contender is the earliest snap I've ever trialed. It is also the least liked for flavor, of the hundreds of varieties of bush, half-runner, and pole beans that I've tasted. It has a strong "grassy" taste when harvested from my garden.

Provider takes longer to mature, but the flavor is good.

And, like tomatoes, waiting a bit longer brings the best flavored varieties, which are mostly ple types, for me.

Tormato
Maybe it's Provider that's the one I want for next year then. Thanks!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2013   #13
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Default Jackpot

Today I was at the local hardware store for some window screen. While waiting for the clerk to finish with another customer so that I could check out I passed the time looking through their seasonal seed rack. I usually don't pay too much attention to them because they usually just hold the same varieties that they have for the last thirty + years. To my surprise there was an 8 oz package of Provider for only $2.75!

I figured I was waiting until next year to try Provider as I had already placed my seed orders for this year and didn't want to pay shipping for just one item. I'm glad the clerk was busy.

George

Thomas Jefferson, 1787
Old April 8, 2013   #14
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Maybe it's Provider that's the one I want for next year then. Thanks!
It just may be.

I'm near the MA/CT border, and Tom (TJG911, here at Tomatoville) is in CT. We both agree that Contender is the worst tasting bean that both of us have ever tried. It may be a southern New England thing.

If you're ever looking for small samples to trial, of many different varieties, send me a PM.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2013   #15
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I have some Jade I am going to plant next which has been around a while and seems to get mostly good reviews. Right now I am going outside to move all my potted Provider plants because we are having horrilble wind, steady at about 25 mph now with gusts at 40.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote