Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old October 1, 2006   #1
Plant Lady
Tomatovillian™

Default What kind of Soil/Soiless Mix Do You Use?

I was wondering what kind of soil/soiless mix that everyone uses for seed starting and then when you transplant, what kind of soil do you use? Or do you have a secret mix that you perfer?
Plant Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2006   #2
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

I use spaghnam moss, vermiculite and perlite. I buy huge bags of all of them and mix them as needed. It works fabulous for me. Although I have bought promix (I think that is what it is) and seed starting mix.....both of which were OK if you dont want to mix your own. When I transplant. I typically use Miracle Grow...but I think MG's quality has gotten worse. I wound up with so many bags of it, I just try to use it up. I add a little perlite and vermiculite to the MG as well. Because for me, I think MG retains too much water. I have an experiment going on right now with the moisture control MG...and its not looking promising
bizzarbazzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2006   #3
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi bizzarbazzar,

What ratios do you use? I have about 2 cu. ft of perlite left from my sq ft garden mix. I was going to dump it since, I didn't know another use for it.
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2006   #4
Plant Lady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzarbazzar
When I transplant. I typically use Miracle Grow...but I think MG's quality has gotten worse. I wound up with so many bags of it, I just try to use it up. I add a little perlite and vermiculite to the MG as well. Because for me, I think MG retains too much water. I have an experiment going on right now with the moisture control MG...and its not looking promising
I agree about the quality of MG...It use to be one of the best potting soils available. I wanted to mix my own seed starting soiless mix , but some of the ingredients I wanted was not available at the places I have to shop at. So I bought some Promix, I have never used it before, but have heard from others that is very good......I sure hope so since I have a huge bag of it now to use up. I add perlite to almost everything, I would be lost without it.
Old October 2, 2006   #5
Plant Lady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelique
I have about 2 cu. ft of perlite left from my sq ft garden mix. I was going to dump it since, I didn't know another use for it.
The way I use perlite is I add it to plain potting soil for all of my potted plants, esp african violets & cactus.
Old October 2, 2006   #6
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

I personally just guess a bit ..but I use about 50% of the spaghum and the rest I combine perlite and vermiculite. But I am sure everybody has their own thoughts about whats best. Often, when I am doing alot of seedlings I tell DH to mix half spaghum and the rest a mix of the other 2...and have found out while planting he got lazy a few times and did it (his way) forgetting one or the other of the vermiculite or perlite..and i didnt notice a difference.
Yes Miracle Grow used to be one of the best but some bags...I think I have purchased only wood chips...(OK so I am a bit off on that, but too many wood chips and the chips are getting bigger in my opinion) I love my oerlite and my vermiculite too
Old October 2, 2006   #7
username5
Tomatovillian™

I use whatever mix I have on hand. As long as it is a potting mix I have never had any troubles. Potting soils I avoid like the plague and I detest the so called seed starting mixes.

I started out using seed starting mixes, but tend to prefer potting mixes as the seed starting mixes typically have more peat in them and I find these tend to form a green algae/mold on the surface. It makes watering more difficult (top watering anyway) and if it forms before germination occurs it can prevent the seedling from emerging. The fact that my grow room is in my basement under HID lighting may have something to do with the growth of the green stuff, I dunno. I don't have the problem with potting mixes though.

I wonder what MG did with their mix. I used to love it, but also have noticed that it just isn't the same this year. I am liking something I think is called 'Perfect Mix' (or something with the word perfect in it) better. Walmart sells it and it seems to be the cheapest of the 2 cu ft bags they sell (by a buck).
username5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2006   #8
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

Username5, I have problems with the green stuff on potting mixes. they seem to retain to much water. Ever since I decided to run the business out of the home...I have found myself with more time to experiment and make up experiments (to give me something to do). I wonder if it may have something to do with the lighting and environment (a possible new experiment?) They form this crust on top with a green hue. I tend to bottom water about half of my plants and top water half....and have yet to notice much of a difference.
I have some carnivourous plants slowly dying since I am not sure what to do with them, in aquariums and when I consolidate the aquariums I may try to start seedlings in there. They remain humid and warm and have light when they emerge.... I will try both the potting mix and my home mix and see what does better under those circumstances....Ill start in a few adys because I have about 12 carn. plants that are goners. That leaves a 55 gallon aquarium to work with. .
Old October 2, 2006   #9
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by username5
I started out using seed starting mixes, but tend to prefer potting mixes as the seed starting mixes typically have more peat in them and I find these tend to form a green algae/mold on the surface. It makes watering more difficult (top watering anyway) and if it forms before germination occurs it can prevent the seedling from emerging. The fact that my grow room is in my basement under HID lighting may have something to do with the growth of the green stuff, I dunno. I don't have the problem with potting mixes though.
Try adding One teaspoonful of Lime & 1/4 teaspoon of Borax to each quart of the mix. This has helped me & my plants; inside or outside.
Old October 2, 2006   #10
Plant Lady
Tomatovillian™

Besides the wood chips getting bigger and more of them in the MG, I have also noticed they are adding alot of small rocks..which adds to the wieght, therefore giving you less product, It is a real pain to have to pick out alot of these bigger objects from the MG, I also have several left over bags I will need to use up.
Old October 2, 2006   #11
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

Yes, there are more, misc. items in there lately. I thought it was just me...but I guess its not. Although I am glad its not just me, it sure does make it worse for all of us who used to love MG
Old October 2, 2006   #12
username5
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar_Lace

Try adding One teaspoonful of Lime & 1/4 teaspoon of Borax to each quart of the mix. This has helped me & my plants; inside or outside.
What do these 2 ingredients do that result in less green stuff on the mix surface? I have tried watering with dilute hydrogen peroxide at one person's suggestion, but that didn't seem to help. I am a bit leery of using borax, but might consider it if I understood what the purpose of the lime and borax were.

Thanks for the tip.
Old October 2, 2006   #13
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Lime reduces the acidity in the peat, thereby boosting the ability of the seeds to germinate.

In horticulture, dolomite and dolomitic limestone are added to soils and soilless potting mixes to lower their acidity ("sweeten" them). Home and container gardening are common examples of this use.

Rio Tinto Borax : About Borates : Borates in Use : Agriculture

Rio Tinto Borax : Agriculture : Boron In Crops
Old October 2, 2006   #14
username5
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar_Lace
Lime reduces the acidity in the peat, thereby boosting the ability of the seeds to germinate.
I always get confused when I see someone saying lime reduces acidity. Certainly that is true, but it raises ph so I get temporarily discombobulated because I read it as saying 'lime reduces ph' when it really says 'lime reduces acidity' which really means lime raises ph.

Now, I was under the impression that soilless mixes differ enough from soil that ph is irrelevant. I don't understand the chemistry enough to explain why, but a very knowledgable fellow at GW (Tapla otherwise known as Al) gave a very detailed explanation as to why ph is irrelevant in container culture. It made sense to me even though I can't explain it

I think I would skip the lime if it's only purpose was to enhance the germination since I don't have germination issues, but is the use of borax basically the same as using dilute bleach to kill off fungi? If so I would certainly try that on a small portion of seedlings to see how that goes. It sounds reasonable.
Old October 2, 2006   #15
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Please read this, it has now been turned into a PDF; it used to be a web page - Liming Acid Soils