Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old November 28, 2021   #1
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Default What causes jalapenos to split?

Second year on this mammoth jalapeno plant (potted). It took a while to get going since I trimmed it back hard last year, but it did come back and is now producing very well.

Two things: The peps started off small, so I started fertilizing with Miracle Gro -- not very aggressively, but with about 1 Tbsp in 2 gal, distributed among everyone once a week or so. The peps are growing to a nice size now.

But, many have a vertical split from near stem to near tail. They have healed over and few, if any, of the internals have been affected. I've never seen this before. What causes it? As an aside, while I am getting red on them, and a little sunburn on a few, I see next to no corking.

Generally, I don't water on a schedule but depend on the plant to tell me when it's dry, which, depending on the weather, can be as often as once a day.

https://www.tomato★★★★★★★★.com/download/file.php?id=12881

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

Last edited by dmforcier; November 30, 2021 at 01:56 PM.
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2021   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Is the plant in a container?

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote