Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 17, 2012   #1
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Default Amazon Chocolate

I found a few seed i got from someone here a few years ago, I do remember them not starting from seeds easy at all. I did start a few, my last ones, the only 1 to come up it is not nice. Same as the last year, looking bad only the first leafs no more leafs. Last year i had the same little plant and it did not grow? Should I give up with Amazon Chocolate? It has sick looking cotyledons
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amazon.jpg (618.5 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by FILMNET; April 18, 2012 at 07:02 PM.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Filmnet, I would just get a new batch of seed and try again.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

Filmnet- I've had great luck with the Amazon Chocolate seeds I got from OneoftheEarls a couple years ago- the plant is PL and the fruits are a nice size and have a fantastic taste. The seeds I had before that produced RL plants with small, seedy fruits that split way before they were ripe. PM me if you'd like some PL seed- this year I planted 5 seeds and all came up without any problems.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012   #4
hardwaterbob
Tomatovillian™

Default RE SEEDS

My amazon toms were the best last year and I have plenty of seed if you need some just send me a sase.

Bob
hardwaterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2012   #5
mysidx
Tomatovillian™

That's weird because I got my seeds from Kath and I had two batches started. The first batch I only got one out of five to emerge, and my second batch again got only one to emerge. I could only keep one alive and now it is very healthy with baseball size fruit thus far.
Old April 21, 2012   #6
Randall
Tomatovillian™

I received Amazon Chocolate seeds from Kath as well. 7/7 popped perfectly! Also had 100% germination on the other seeds she sent Thanks a bunch, Kathy!!

Last edited by Randall; April 21, 2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: sp
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2012   #7
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

She is wonderful women so nice she is sending me some now.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2012   #8
kath
Tomatovillian™

Mysidix- I'm sorry to hear that you had poor germination results. I did two batches of them as well and got 3/4 the first time and 3/3 on the later sowing. The seeds were all from last season. Who knows what causes the difference in germination rates? Carolyn sees it every year in the feedback from her seed offer.

Thanks Randall and Filmnet for your kind words. Randall, I'm glad to hear you had better luck. I hope we all get softball-sized fruits from our plants this year.

kath
Old April 22, 2012   #9
mysidx
Tomatovillian™

Kath has been very gracious in offering her seeds and time to all of us. Despite the results I had with germination, I look forward to trying Amazon Chocolate. If my fruits are baseball size now and only three feet high, then they are going to be monstrous when they fully mature.
Old April 22, 2012   #10
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

I have read that one does not need a heat mat to germinate seeds, but I can tell you this yr, my germination success has been much better with heat ( around 80) than with out. I had 40% rate with some seeds earlier this year, with out heat, then 95% from the same packet a few weeks later with heat. I went out and bought the mat cause I knew I was gonna need it for the best resilts with peppers anyway. It would be interesting to know which failures used no heat on seeds. We keep our furnace dialed down in the mid 60's. I also had some seeds that were just poor germination no matter what.
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2012   #11
kath
Tomatovillian™

Mysidx,

Many people here were very generous with their seeds and traded with me from the time I first joined and I'm very happy to share seeds with others when I can. It's sad knowing that others sometimes have disappointing results and maybe wasted precious space or time on seeds or the plants that came from them, but also realize there's no guaranteeing that all the seeds will sprout or that the plants will thrive or that in the end the taste will be to someone else's liking, you know? The fruits I got from last year's plant only reached the 10 oz. size, so I am very happy that you've got that size fruit on a 3' plant! As I recall, the plant never got more than 5' tall, maybe less. So anyway, I hope it continues to do well and that you like the fruits well enough to save seed and keep growing it and that you have other plants to fill up any empty spaces left by seeds that refused to sprout.

Kath

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysidx View Post
Kath has been very gracious in offering her seeds and time to all of us. Despite the results I had with germination, I look forward to trying Amazon Chocolate. If my fruits are baseball size now and only three feet high, then they are going to be monstrous when they fully mature.