Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 4, 2012   #16
babice
Tomatovillian™

Hi! I am still just an intern so I got in touch with Doctor amideutch and he's the one who helped me get these particular sick children through their worst moments. Some of them look way nicer and some still have yellow spots. Example: one of the 4th of July's look really nice (pic#1) and the other has yellow spots (pic #2 & 3) with leaves turning under. Back then, this is what amideutch told me to do:

1. spray them with very diluted fish emulsion one night (done)
2. spray them with aspirin water next night if they didn't look much different (done)
3. about a week later I reported back to Doctor ami and let him know that these sick children didn't look any worse - not really better but not worse. And he asked me if the new leaves had the yellow spots and, no, they didn't. Doctor ami said this was a good sign.
4. So, I released them from the ICU and fed them a weak shot (5 ml) of Buddha Grow - top soil fed them per Doctor's instructions
5. Have been feeding them increasing amounts of Buddha Grow every week since and letting them stay in the same area with their other tomato friends.

They seem to be doing well. Still have those odd yellow spots. Those leaves with the yellow spots are more course, tough to the touch if you will. But otherwise they look healthy. I also just sprayed all the toms with a diluted aspirin water again tonight because it's been 3 weeks and from what I read, it is good to do this for them about every 2-3 weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4th of July on 5.3.12.jpg (191.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 4th of July example 2.1 on 5.3.12.jpg (156.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 4th of July example 2.2 on 5.3.12.jpg (134.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 5.3.12 yellow spot #1.jpg (145.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 5.3.12 yellow spot #2.jpg (157.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Rutgers 5.3.12.jpg (185.5 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by babice; May 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: grammar, grammar, grammar
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012   #17
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Oh great Babice!!! At least pics 1, 4 and 6 look pretty healthy to me. Do you mind explaining what the aspirin water does?
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012   #18
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
Do you mind explaining what the aspirin water does?
The aspirin is salicylic acid which is what plants produce when under stress. Giving it to them in advance supposedly helps boost their immune system. This is a good article I refer back to often: http://www.plantea.com/plant-aspirin.htm

See also this thread ami posted:
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...=aspirin+water

My method: I cut up 1 uncoated aspirin and put it in a small cup with warm water and let that sit 'til it dissolved. In a 1 Gallon jug I put in a couple caps of Castille Soap, poured in the aspirin water and filled it the rest of the way with water. Shook that up, then I poured it into my spray bottle and sprayed it on the leaves of everything.

Last edited by babice; May 4, 2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: adding my method
babice is offline   Reply With Quote