Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 21, 2012   #1
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Default Best Conditions for Seedlings After Transplant

I have many seedlings that are thriving in seed trays. It's time to break them up into individal pots. They always go into shock when they're transplanted. What is the best for them during this process? Should they be place in the sun, shade, dark? Kept cool, warm, ? I would assume extreme tamperatures are to be avoided. Rain and cool upper 50s temperatures are being predicted for the next few days. I would like to transplant several now but there will be no sun until Thursday. Should I wait?

Thanks,
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2012   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

They go into shock because their root system has been damaged and they are going to have problems taking in water and nutrients until the root system recovers. The important thing is help them reduce their water loss. I'd put them in light shade and warm not hot.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2012   #3
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I have been transplanting tomato seedlings most evenings for the past week. I marvel at how, after I remove them from the dense planted cup and unceremoniously smush them into the 3/4" hole in a 2" soil block, they immediately look quite offended and hang-dog. But by next morning, they seem to have adjusted to their new home, and are quite revived and happy to have space all to themselves. I have a small (12X12) greenhouse, and they go right onto the shelves in there after the procedure. The ones I did a couple of weeks ago look just fantastic, growing by leaps and bounds, but still staying nice and stocky.
Shawn
Old April 21, 2012   #4
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Never put freshly transplanted anything in the sun or you will be guaranteed transplant shock. In the shade or indoors under lights is OK.
Water them deeply, if you have liquid fish, liquid seaweed or a fish/seaweed blend, add a little to the water per instruction on the bottle, it helps greatly to acclimate them and eliminates that hang-dog look in my experience.
Like Shawn said, by next morning they will be adjusted to their new home
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2012   #5
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc_groleau View Post
I would like to transplant several now but there will be no sun until Thursday. Should I wait?
If you are planning on putting them outside then this would be perfect if it doesn't get too cold. I always look for cloudy days to plant out, this is a good way to avoid shock.
Old April 21, 2012   #6
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Thanks,
I'm not planting out I'm just moving them from a common flat to individual cells. I believe that indirect sun or cloudy day is good. but there won't be any sun for the next four days. I have a small green house so the temps wont be too cold. It's not like this is the first time I do this but every year, I hover over my plants as they hang down like an hound's ears and they allways recover in a couple of days.

Last edited by marc_groleau; April 22, 2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old April 22, 2012   #7
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

So today I transplanted 60 Big Beefs. These were the largest of the plants that were sown in common flats. It is a coudy and rainy day here. The temps are low 50s but it seems somewhat raw. All of the plants seemed to droop only a minor amount and it is apparent that by tomorrow they'll look much better. So in answer to my own question, I'd say there is less stress on the plants during cooler weather or at the end of the day as opposed to transplanting on a warm, suuny day.

Last edited by marc_groleau; April 23, 2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old April 23, 2012   #8
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I transplant mine and put them back under the lights, can't say I ever noticed any drooping. So I'd guess back into the environment they were in, shade probably.
Old April 23, 2012   #9
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc_groleau View Post
So today I transplanted 60 Big Beefs. These were the largest of the plants that were sown in common flats. It is a coudy and rainy day here. The temps are low 50s but it seems somewhat raw. All of the plants seemed to droop only a minor amount and it is apparentt that by tomorrow they'll look much better.
Marc,
Curious--when you say transplanted, do you mean out to the garden? If so, I'd love to know how they do.

I'm still watching the weather and waiting until the night time temps stay more in the 50's, but this means I'm going to have to buy more potting mix and up-pot again since my seedlings are all thriving under the lights in the basement. I'm hoping for an earlier plant-out this year, but this temperature roller coaster we're on is too unpredictable!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2012   #10
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I don't know that I've ever had drooping with tomato transplants. Are you overwatering them? I had a couple in containers where the little hole got plugged, they did droop until I figured out they didn't have good drainage.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2012   #11
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

I've never had drooping either. I tend to water my seeldings before transplanting, fill up the new home with well moistened mix, use my finger to make a deep hole, gently place the seedling in its new spot and carefully move mix around the base. Back under the lights they go....
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2012   #12
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

To Father's Daughter: I am transplanting from a common seed tray to individual cells. I wouldn't think of moving them to the garden until Memorial Day weekend or possibly the weekend before depending on forecast. You are further north so I would be even more leary of planting out before Memorial Day.

As for the drooping, I am not just moving from one single cell to another larger cell or pot. I am moving from a common flat wherein the roots are somewhat tangled and some tearing of root system is inevitable. In fact the reason I use this method is to save room under the lights and once I'm done with the lights, to harden the plant and roots. If you plant a seed in a large pot and never transplant it, it’s root system will not be as robust as one that has been transplanted. At least that’s what I was taught by my grandfather many years ago and I believe to be true after many years of growing.
Old April 23, 2012   #13
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I grow mine in row flats, and separate the roots, and they still seem happy enough. Not sure what the difference would be though. Maybe just that they're indoors, under lights?
Old April 24, 2012   #14
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I do like Marc, rather ruthlessly separate them out for transplanting to individual containers, and they can't help losing some roots. In fact, if some have an extra long coiled root, I rip off part of it so that I can set it lower down in the new pot. I do it outside, in a plastic greenhouse, and a lot of them do wilt temporarily, but all recover, some in a couple of hours, some take overnight. Not all plants are equally affected, I'm sure it does depend on degree of root trauma. I don't worry about it.

On my last transplantings, I used water that was too cold, had been sitting in outside in milk jugs overnight. I know that stressed the first batch, I normally carry lukewarm water out from my house for transplantation use, but got lazy because my left knee doesn't like going up and down my little hill from the house to the greenhouse thirty times a day.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2012   #15
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

The 60 Big Beefs are doing great. They are excelling over the others that have not been transplanted yet. I'm going to do a couple hundred this weekend. Temps will be in low 60s and sunny. Nights in the 40s. I think I've determined that heat will stress the transplants. I'll have to open the greenhouse door to keep temps low. It can easily reach 90 degrees on a 60 degree but sunny day. I think a cloudy, mild to cool day seems to stress them less.