Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old April 29, 2012   #31
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I would think the filter on a water softener would be good. It removes a lot more bad stuff than the tiny amount of salt that is left in.
We have such hard water that I can put a plant in a terra cotta pot and have crystals built up on the sides in less than a month. Our tap water and irrigation water are actually very high in salt and calcium. I would think that's worse than the tiny bit of salt from the water softener.
I used the water from the softener on my seedlings this year and they seemed to like it just fine.
I use gypsum in my potted plants and all my garden beds because of the salt. I don't use lime. I'm beginning to wonder if I should add some Epsom salts since I'm not adding lime? I have no idea if Things are magnesium deficient but I do wonder if the high calcium ties up the magnesium.
I do know I feel better if I take magnesium everyday!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2012   #32
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Tracy:

I am in El Paso, and we have super high salt and other solids in our water. I had a lot of salt damage on my plants. Because of that, I bought a 200 gallon per day reverse osmosis system. That feeds the ro water into a 65 gallon tank, that then goes out to my container plants and my greenhouse during the fall/winter. I get my ppm down to 10, whereas the tap water runs from about 450-550 ppm. You have to have a pump to push the water from the 65 gallon tank, but it works great.
Old April 30, 2012   #33
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

MDVPC!!! your PPM from the tap is at 450? That is wild. Where I live its one of the few places that they greenlit recycled water and last few times I tested when i was growing hydroponics was around 150ppm. could you link me to the RO system you purchased. I dont believe the RO will remove the chloromine correct?

Although from what raybo posted it doensnt seem to be an issue.

I've been leaving my water out in the sun for a in of 24 hrs to let it evaporate some of the crap. Is it worth it?

On my seedlings I use nothing but distilled water.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012   #34
blackcat54
Tomatovillian™

The more important question is:

Are the toxins in the feed water absorbed into the plants and passed on to the person eating them?
blackcat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012   #35
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Crandrew, I remember the water down at Balboa Island. Evidently it hasn't changed much in the last 50 years. Ami
Old May 13, 2012   #36
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Cran

450 sometimes higher, have seen it up to 550 at times. I use a hydrologic stealth 200 GDP or. Google stealth 200 gpd ro and take a look. They have the 100 and 200 gpd models.
Old May 14, 2012   #37
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Ok, thanks. md
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012   #38
NGGrant
Tomatovillian™

There are chloramine specific RO/DI systems. Bulk Reef Supply is where I got my RO/DI that I use for my reef tank. I didnt need the Chloramine one because I'm on a well. I have the 75GPD and it works great.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/7.html

Quote:
Approximately 10% of city municipal waters systems use chloramines to process water. Standard RO filters and units will not remove chloramines from the water. If your household water supply contains chloramines you will need a chloramines specific reverse osmosis unit. To find out what's in your water contact your city and ask for a water report.
Only a Chloramine specific carbon block will remove Chloramine.
NGGrant is offline   Reply With Quote