Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 30, 2011   #1
jamiegrows
Tomatovillian™

Default Seeds From Supermarket Tomato

Hi All,

I bought some organic Heirloom tomatoes from a local supermarket. There was a smaller than baseball sized purple with dark shoulders tomato. It was overripe (a little mushy) and when I ate it it was so juicy and delicious I saved some seeds (my first ever).
The tomatoes came from Mexico. I would like to know the protocol for passing it on to friends etc. I planted 10 seeds already. What do I call it when I pass it on if it
turns out to be super delicious in my opinion?
Would Joe's (changed the supermarket name not to get in trouble) Mexican purple be all right? I would also include all details of size,growth, shape etc.

Jamie
jamiegrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2011   #2
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

I think that if you bought it in a supermarket it probably already has a name and that by doing nothing but planting the seeds and growing the plant, that you have no right to rename it anything. JMHO

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2011   #3
Garf
Tomatovillian™

Name it after the Supermarket.
Garf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2011   #4
jamiegrows
Tomatovillian™

It was in a pack of Mexican grown heirloom tomatoes of different colors sizes and shapes. It was only labeled organic Heirloom tomatoes grown in Mexico
Old May 1, 2011   #5
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiegrows View Post
It was in a pack of Mexican grown heirloom tomatoes of different colors sizes and shapes. It was only labeled organic Heirloom tomatoes grown in Mexico
Jamie, check out my thread about Sunny Valley organics. Their tomatoes are also grown in Mexico. Could be the same. Check out the link to their website. If that's what you got, the seeds are most likely Cherokee Purple, Red Brandywine, Yellow Brandywine, or Green Zebra.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=17986

Last edited by organichris; May 1, 2011 at 05:39 PM.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011   #6
jamiegrows
Tomatovillian™

Default Sunny Valley Organics

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the links.
These were from Trader Joes and they came in a two pound plastic tub. The sticker only said Trader Joes organic heirloom tomatoes grown in mexico. I am growing Cherokee Purple so I will be able to compare them soon enough.

Thank you,
Jamie

Last edited by jamiegrows; May 1, 2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: forgot the first line
Old May 1, 2011   #7
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

I think it's irresponsible of companies to just throw the "H" word out there with a pack of tomatoes and not identify what the different varieties are. Seems to me that most anyone astute enough to seek out heirlooms would want to know the names of the different varieties. For all we know there could be hybrids disguised as heirloom, as there seem to be more and more hybrids available that exhibit characteristics of the older types.
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011   #8
jeremyhilton
Tomatovillian™

I say name it after the supermarket and Mexico, ie Joes Mexican Heirlooms... ;-)

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk
jeremyhilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2011   #9
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I agree Bubba, I would also like to know. I was at TJ's today and "almost" bought that pack of tomatoes. But you know what if I wait 3 more weeks, I will have more tomatoes than I am going to know what to do with so I didn't buy them!
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011   #10
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlzbn View Post
I agree Bubba, I would also like to know. I was at TJ's today and "almost" bought that pack of tomatoes. But you know what if I wait 3 more weeks, I will have more tomatoes than I am going to know what to do with so I didn't buy them!

3 WEEKS??? Those are gonna be 3 long weeks. I'm about 2 weeks away on my Black Cherry and FloraDade, but I was so desperate for one of my first that I actually pulled an Azoychka off its dying vine to ripen in a paper bag and take with me out of town. I tried it last night after cutting away at the crack and bad places. It was beautiful.
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011   #11
dice
Tomatovillian™

How about "Grocery Store Purple" in Spanish?