Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old September 8, 2013   #1
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

Default amish heart

I bought seeds from seed savers for some amish paste tomatoes this spring and grew 20 plants. Out of the 20 I got one plant that put out these heart shaped fruits. I have looked over all the plants to see if I could physically see a differance and they all look the same. The only differance is the tomato shape of this one plant. What are the chances that this is a amish paste variant and what are the chances this will hold true in the next generation. Amish paste have oval fruit (O) which is considered dominate but what is heart shaped fruit? I am saving seeds, the tomatoes are quite nice, I just hope for the same thing in the next generation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amish heart.jpg (237.4 KB, 59 views)
Minnesota Mato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2013   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
Amish Paste's slightly irregular plum-to strawberry shaped fruits avg. 8-12 oz
Are all the plants excepting the one showing fruit as such? Are all of them slightly wispy in foliage traits?

I gave up trying to associate a gene symbol to all the heart shape, oxheart, strawberry, torpedo, elongated, bull's heart, blocky,......Ad nauseam shapes.

You would think that as a breeder of tomatoes I would have all the gene symbols in use...but I don't...too many variables.

I have bred all sorts of heart shape tomatoes just to see them revert to whatever. The exceptions to the rule is why I seldom try to enter into discussions every time this sub forum brings up issues such as this.

And then I keep forgetting that most folks dwell on differences they see in conventional varieties and I dwell on differences in see in segregating populations in various filial levels removed from the original F-1 cross. Between the breeders such as myself and collectors who find new lines within old lines....new varieties are bandied about in ever propelling manner.

Sometimes I think I should request more seed samples of tomatoes that occur this way with so many tomato enthusiasts. I could then offer my opinions about what is going on. Should I request seed seed from Minnisota Mato? Would anyone appreciate my opinion if I did and grew out some plants?

Since my efforts are not concentrated on helping others determining what their garden produces....indeed I focus on the thousands of lines I have waiting for me. But if that person wants me to involve a particular tomato and the seeds in some crossing work...my ears perk up.

The crossing of a heart shaped Amish Paste with a variety of similar but still somewhat different shape might make a diagnosis more palatable. As I have frequently said, I can tell more about a variety by using it in breeding than by itself.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2013   #3
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wagner View Post
You would think that as a breeder of tomatoes I would have all the gene symbols in use...but I don't...too many variables.
I see it as different styles for different folks. I'm beginning to think that genetics is understood even less than I thought. I'm having trouble finding information of how do these genes interact with each other.

Quote:
Sometimes I think I should request more seed samples of tomatoes that occur this way with so many tomato enthusiasts. I could then offer my opinions about what is going on. Should I request seed seed from Minnisota Mato? Would anyone appreciate my opinion if I did and grew out some plants?
I'm sure it would be appreciated but I hope not expected by people. You have your own work and share you crosses at a very early stage, allowing other people along on the trip.

Quote:
Since my efforts are not concentrated on helping others determining what their garden produces....indeed I focus on the thousands of lines I have waiting for me. But if that person wants me to involve a particular tomato and the seeds in some crossing work...my ears perk up.

The crossing of a heart shaped Amish Paste with a variety of similar but still somewhat different shape might make a diagnosis more palatable. As I have frequently said, I can tell more about a variety by using it in breeding than by itself.
All I can say here is follow your heart -pun intended. I can see very few if anyone turning a request for seed from you down. Pick the ones that intrigue you and ignore the others.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2013   #4
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

How about a differant twist? Reading all your post, you seem very busy and have a lot bouncing around in your head. Maybe you could suggest what to cross it with and I could do the cross and we could follow it here. Also yes they all have slightly wispy foliage even the heart shaped one. They all look like every other year that I've grown amish paste.
Old September 8, 2013   #5
travis
Tomatovillian™

Minn. Mato, I've recently seen exactly the same over-large, heart shaped fruit from Amish Paste posted at another tomato forum. I will ask the fellow where he got his seeds. All his tomatoes from Amish Paste were like that, and were not just the odd one or two "double" fruits that might appear to be large hearts.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2013   #6
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I really do get this statement now, I was trying to find out if the carolina gold tomato has the RR(red) gene or the rr(yellow) gene and realized if I crossed it with a yellow tomato the F1 would give me the answer if it was yellow or red. I am starting to find out you can learn a lot from the cross itself!!
craig
Old October 11, 2013   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I'm just finding this thread now.

Aside from the fact that I don't consider it as a paste variety, far too juicy, the issue is about a heart shape.

In my experience it's similar to Prue in that one can find all kinds of shapes, even on a single plant. And different plants can have all one shape that's different from another plant in the same season

I've also found that when a shape looks like a fat heart with a small tip, as shown here, that that's often due to environmental factors, usually high heat at the time a fruit was developing.

Here's a Google IMAGES link thatshows various shapes for Amish Paste, and you'll see pictures that are just like what's being shown in this thread. To be sure you're looking at AP put your mouse over the picture and enlarge it since there are a few other varieties mixed in as you scroll farther down the pictures.

https://www.google.com/search?q=amis...w=1474&bih=523

Third row down note the two pictures with heart shaped fruits. And there are more like that as well.

Carolyn