Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 16, 2013   #16
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I'm eating them as fast and as often as I can in a vain attempt to eat all the ripe ones before we have to start a sauce pot. I'm also trying to enjoy them as much as I can since the diseases are really getting bad now. Gray Mold this year has been more aggressive than I have ever seen it. I actually had two bell peppers lose most of their leaves to it this week. I didn't even know it got on bell peppers or any pepper for that matter. I'm now removing leaves at the rate of a garden cart every two days and the plants don't look anything like they did two weeks ago. Some of my plants now have no leaves except a few at the very top so the chance of sun scald is very high for all those tomatoes hanging in the open in this heat.

Tried Virginia Sweet last night and it really is a sweet good tasting juicy tomato. So far this season the Giant Belgium was the tastiest which was a real surprise. I was expecting a super sweet tomato but it was a really well balanced full flavored tomato. I'm really excited about getting to try some of the ones that I have tried unsuccessfully to grow in the past which look like they are going to make for me this season.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013   #17
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

Bill - Mine are producing like gang busters too but my entire crop is 12 different hybrids this season and there's not all that much difference in taste between any of them. All are better than store bought but none are in the ballpark with Brandywines . I am noticing a difference in disease resistance among the varieties though and Amelia scores very high in that regard. I'm still not spraying because I figure I'll get all the tomatoes we can eat before they die and I want to see just which varieties are the most disease resistant.
Old June 16, 2013   #18
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My high tunnel tomatoes have been in for about two weeks now. I just took a few to market yesterday because I have been eating almost all of them myself.

I like cream cheese and tomato sandwiches on toast. Caprese Salad is another favorite. It's just balsamic vinegar, fresh mozzarella, and fresh basil on a slice of tomato.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013   #19
dice
Tomatovillian™

gazpacho: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/gazpacho/
(You can probably leave out the sugar if you use the right
tomatoes.)

edit: Actually you can probably leave out the sugar and use
any tomatoes. It tastes better without it, imho.

Last edited by dice; June 18, 2013 at 03:43 AM. Reason: "Lose the sugar."
dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013   #20
sjoella
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapout View Post
If you eat to many tomato's it will give you the runs.....
you made me choke i totally just told some girl at work that was a great diet to mess with her....
sjoella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013   #21
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I'm eating them as fast and as often as I can in a vain attempt to eat all the ripe ones before we have to start a sauce pot. I'm also trying to enjoy them as much as I can since the diseases are really getting bad now. Gray Mold this year has been more aggressive than I have ever seen it. I actually had two bell peppers lose most of their leaves to it this week. I didn't even know it got on bell peppers or any pepper for that matter. I'm now removing leaves at the rate of a garden cart every two days and the plants don't look anything like they did two weeks ago. Some of my plants now have no leaves except a few at the very top so the chance of sun scald is very high for all those tomatoes hanging in the open in this heat.

Tried Virginia Sweet last night and it really is a sweet good tasting juicy tomato. So far this season the Giant Belgium was the tastiest which was a real surprise. I was expecting a super sweet tomato but it was a really well balanced full flavored tomato. I'm really excited about getting to try some of the ones that I have tried unsuccessfully to grow in the past which look like they are going to make for me this season.

Bill
Bill, you can freeze the tomatoes whole if you want and bring them out when you would like to have some sauce. I cook the whole tomato and use a hand held blender to break up the skins. I wish I had so many tomatoes they were coming out my ears. My tomatoes are slow coming and I haven't had enough to make sauce but once.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013   #22
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Bill get the sauce pot out now! Your making me nervous! Lol

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013   #23
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Well the binge is now officially over with no rashes or the runs. My wife asked me two days ago if I wanted BLTs and I really didn't. Took a bunch of toms and gave them away to friends and neighbors and then cooked down a huge pot of them and instead of freezing them made a really spicy spaghetti sauce. For the last three days I have been getting some of the nicest tomatoes off the vines and now most of the very large ones are picked and sitting on my ripening table. I took a few pics of the last three days of picking and will try to post them tomorrow if I get a chance. I hate the thought of most of them ending up in the sauce pot; but there is no way we can make a dent in them now that I'm back to just enjoying eating them like a normal person.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote