Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 18, 2018   #1
Poohtoo8
Tomatovillian™

Default Mushy pickles

Help!

I love making pickles and my garden has provided me with an abundance of cucumbers. However, it seems I cannot make a crisp pickle to save my life. I’ve bought the little jar of granules that says if you use it, you’ll get crisp pickles. Not mine! I’d appreciate any and all suggestions and recipes for crisp dill pickles and bread and butter pickles.

Thanks.

Last edited by Poohtoo8; June 18, 2018 at 05:25 PM.
Poohtoo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Are you cutting off the blossom end and discarding it? there is an enzyme in the blossom end that doesn't allow the pickles to crisp up.
Old June 18, 2018   #3
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Are you cutting off the blossom end and discarding it? there is an enzyme in the blossom end that doesn't allow the pickles to crisp up.

That is a good tip that I was not aware of.

Thinking aloud, do you chill and wrap the cucumbers as soon as they are picked? I have noticed that fresh picked cucumbers soften in the fridge without the wax coating of supermarket cukes.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #4
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

You want to pickle them ASAP after picking - don't store in the refrigerator beforehand.

Did you plant a variety recommended for pickling?

Some folks say to include grape leaves in their lacto-fermented pickles to provide some tannic acid that helps keep them crisp. I don't know if that works with a regular vinegar pickling recipe - anyone tried that?
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #5
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

my neighbors come get grape leaves yearly for their pickles, so it must.
Old June 18, 2018   #6
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

I put a few grape leaves and cut off the blossom end in my lacto-fermented dill pickles and I've yet to have a mushy one. They're always the crispiest pickles I've ever eaten. When I'm ready to make a batch, I'm bad and head to Lowe's and snag a few leaves off of the potted grape plants they sell in the garden center. You only need 1 or 2 leaves for a half gallon batch.
DocBrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2018   #7
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Sour cherry leaves are also very good at keeping the pickles crisp. As for the blossom end, I don't think it's a strict requirement, might depend on the variety. We never did it or anyone I know. Mine are not the crispest, but my aunt has them hard as a rock and never does either.

Make sure the temperature at fermenting is not too warm, and keep any yeasts etc out (no air), and they should be at least fairly crisp.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2018   #8
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

My mom always used a pinch of alum in each jar of pickles, she said to keep them crunchie.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2018   #9
Poohtoo8
Tomatovillian™

No I don’t but I certainly can do that if it will help.
Old June 26, 2018   #10
Poohtoo8
Tomatovillian™

Do you use a crock?
Old June 26, 2018   #11
Poohtoo8
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrock View Post
I put a few grape leaves and cut off the blossom end in my lacto-fermented dill pickles and I've yet to have a mushy one. They're always the crispiest pickles I've ever eaten. When I'm ready to make a batch, I'm bad and head to Lowe's and snag a few leaves off of the potted grape plants they sell in the garden center. You only need 1 or 2 leaves for a half gallon batch.
Do you use a crock? Also thanks for the tip on the garden center because I have no access to grape leaves......
Old June 26, 2018   #12
Poohtoo8
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
My mom always used a pinch of alum in each jar of pickles, she said to keep them crunchie.
I use alum, still mushie! I think I’m using old cucumbers and not right out of the garden.
Old June 26, 2018   #13
Poohtoo8
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
You want to pickle them ASAP after picking - don't store in the refrigerator beforehand.

Did you plant a variety recommended for pickling?

Some folks say to include grape leaves in their lacto-fermented pickles to provide some tannic acid that helps keep them crisp. I don't know if that works with a regular vinegar pickling recipe - anyone tried that?
Honestly I did not check to see if they were pickling cucumbers or not. This year I just planted “Straight Eights”, not sure if they’re good for pickles or not.
Old June 26, 2018   #14
Poohtoo8
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrock View Post
What are lacto-fermented pickles?
Old June 26, 2018   #15
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Mine come off the vine, washed right away, then dried and immediately wrapped in plastic wrap, then right into the fridge. Then I make refrigerator dill pickles, they are so crisp and yummy. They keep for about 3 months. They don't stay around that long, lol.
I use this one, but with Apple cider vinegar.
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23...-dill-pickles/
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote