Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 22, 2017   #31
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, I almost fainted when I saw that list! Holy Moly! Amazing! Bless you bless you for all you do for the tomato world. And I can`t wait to hear about Karma - Karen- you are amazing too.
Anyways, my seed collection is minuscule compared to what you must be doing - how do you keep your sanity??? Oh well, here`s to growing and sharing!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017   #32
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
Marsha, I almost fainted when I saw that list! Holy Moly! Amazing! Bless you bless you for all you do for the tomato world. And I can`t wait to hear about Karma - Karen- you are amazing too.
Anyways, my seed collection is minuscule compared to what you must be doing - how do you keep your sanity??? Oh well, here`s to growing and sharing!
Sharon, gardening helps me keep my sanity. Lol.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2017   #33
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdTNGrdner View Post
Wow, very impressive; happy growing! ( And then tasting ) I'll be reading and following and watching for pictures!
Thank you so much.
Old August 22, 2017   #34
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

By the time my garden has been put to rest and I'm finalizing my 2018 list, you'll be starting to get some nice sized fruits! I can't wait to watch your thread again this year, a great winter treat!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2017   #35
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
That is a good reason.
Great list in terms of varieties, so many that I have not known/grown.
But too much work is driving me insane.
So to keep my sanity, I will CUT back by better than 50% in 2018, both in variety and number of plants. This year I had about 33 varieties and about 60 plants. There will be a lot of ZAPS.
Too much work and too much tomatoes not knowing what to do with it. But as of now my garden is on strike. . Exceptions are just a few who have crossed the picket line.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2017   #36
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

What are "ZAPPS" ?
Thanks
Pete
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2017   #37
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

Great list Marsha! I only grow the best of the best now but still love to trial new varieties and thanks to you, I am trying 3-4 of yours. With an orchard of 52 fruit trees, I am busy with that too. I still have 26 earth boxes but only use maybe 5-6 of them. Love my outdoor hydro system by urban farm much better, grown in a shade cloth greenhouse type structure I built. It is 9 ft tall and supports for the tomatoes are cattle panels. This system reduces the heat by roughly 8 degrees and no hardening off of plants needed. Growing roughly 22 plants myself, more than I could ever eat with plenty for tomato soup by the gallons. This is going to be a great year, wish you all the best in production and disease free growing.
beefyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2017   #38
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryno12 View Post
What are "ZAPPS" ?
Thanks
Pete
Bad spelling. Sorry. ZAPs is probably the correct term.
I meant those varieties that will be ZAPPED. I won't grow them again.

Happy Gardening !
Old August 25, 2017   #39
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Better grow more then !!!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2017   #40
clara
Tomatovillian™

What a great list, Marsha! I wish you a perfect germination and later on a HUGE crop!

I'm actually picking tomatoes like crazy - among them, a lot of varieties you generously shared with me! Many thanks again!
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2017   #41
MissS
Tomatovillian™

As you know, you have some top of the line tomatoes to grow. It's a beautiful list. I do hope that you have a growing season just like last years where you gardens do splendidly again.
Old August 26, 2017   #42
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I went back and checked Marsha's list.
I will def. grow 4 of them next year Maybe 6. Not sure.
I am trying to stay away from new try outs. Otherwise Marsha has great varieties to choose from.

Aunt Ruby's German Green is also on top of my list. It is an amazing GWR . I never imagined a green tomato to taste that good.

Happy Gardening !
Old August 26, 2017   #43
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
By the time my garden has been put to rest and I'm finalizing my 2018 list, you'll be starting to get some nice sized fruits! I can't wait to watch your thread again this year, a great winter treat!
I know!!! I am really excited right now. Sometimes folks post that it gets them through the winter to see my photo thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
That is a good reason.
Great list in terms of varieties, so many that I have not known/grown.
But too much work is driving me insane.
So to keep my sanity, I will CUT back by better than 50% in 2018, both in variety and number of plants. This year I had about 33 varieties and about 60 plants. There will be a lot of ZAPS.
Too much work and too much tomatoes not knowing what to do with it. But as of now my garden is on strike. . Exceptions are just a few who have crossed the picket line.
You will really be able to cut back 50%? I always SAY I will, but never can.
Too funny about crossing the picket line, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefyboy View Post
Great list Marsha! I only grow the best of the best now but still love to trial new varieties and thanks to you, I am trying 3-4 of yours. With an orchard of 52 fruit trees, I am busy with that too. I still have 26 earth boxes but only use maybe 5-6 of them. Love my outdoor hydro system by urban farm much better, grown in a shade cloth greenhouse type structure I built. It is 9 ft tall and supports for the tomatoes are cattle panels. This system reduces the heat by roughly 8 degrees and no hardening off of plants needed. Growing roughly 22 plants myself, more than I could ever eat with plenty for tomato soup by the gallons. This is going to be a great year, wish you all the best in production and disease free growing.
Have you started your seeds yet for the fall? Which ones if mine are you trying? You don't use your Earthboxes? What will you do with them? I wish you a great season too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Better grow more then !!!
Why, it's up to 104 now, plus peppers(which I still suck at growing), lettuce, kale, and cucumbers.Think I need even more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clara View Post
What a great list, Marsha! I wish you a perfect germination and later on a HUGE crop!

I'm actually picking tomatoes like crazy - among them, a lot of varieties you generously shared with me! Many thanks again!
Clara, you know I am delighted to hear if your success. Do you like the ones you are growing that I sent you seeds for?
Old August 26, 2017   #44
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
As you know, you have some top of the line tomatoes to grow. It's a beautiful list. I do hope that you have a growing season just like last years where you gardens do splendidly again.
Thank you Patti, that's very sweet of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I went back and checked Marsha's list.
I will def. grow 4 of them next year Maybe 6. Not sure.
I am trying to stay away from new try outs. Otherwise Marsha has great varieties to choose from.

Aunt Ruby's German Green is also on top of my list. It is an amazing GWR . I never imagined a green tomato to taste that good.
I adore Aunt Ruby's GG. Third year in a row. I just got seeds for the clear epi "real" Cherokee Lime, supposed to be the very very best GWR. I loved the yellow epi one, turns out it is actually Cherokee Green because of that epi color. All this time I thought I was growing CL, lol. It's no slouch either, very delicious.
This season, I will be able to compare CL with ARGG. Battle of the greens.
Old August 26, 2017   #45
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

I adore Aunt Ruby's GG. Third year in a row. I just got seeds for the clear epi "real" Cherokee Lime, supposed to be the very very best GWR. I loved the yellow epi one, turns out it is actually Cherokee Green because of that epi color. All this time I thought I was growing CL, lol. It's no slouch either, very delicious.
This season, I will be able to compare CL with ARGG. Battle of the greens.
Haha. No thanks to CL. I will just stick with ARGG.
I won't be tempted.

Happy Gardening !