Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 5, 2015   #1
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Default Orange Jazz

This is Orange Jazz. It will be released nationally this fall. Seed company(ies) carrying this variety TBD.

This is hands-down our best beefsteak, and it will the first "Artisan Seeds" beefsteak tomato released. Not many tomatoes taste great, even in "over-watered" situations, but this one does. I was blown away by the incredibly rich flavor in the first Orange Jazz of the season -- I just got done eating them. We have not cut the water yet, to sweeten the tomatoes, but Orange Jazz still shines.

You won't see me singing the praises of a bunch of other beefsteaks this year -- this is THE ONE.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #2
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

Great looking tomato Fred, can't wait to try it! athanks for all the amazing work you are doing!
Old July 6, 2015   #3
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Awesome. Im starting seed for my fall garden soon. I cant wait to taste Orange Jazz.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #4
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Looks beautiful and yummy!
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Looks very nice. Something like Big Rainbow, to me.
Goes into my grow list.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #6
pinklady5
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful!
pinklady5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #7
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

I was reading the posts on the link and I read Orange Jazz has 4 Heirloom parents in the lineage. That is cool.

I wonder which ones. I'll grow it next year if I can because I have to water just to cool the soil in July and August when it is over 100 degrees for weeks on end.
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
This is Orange Jazz. It will be released nationally this fall. Seed company(ies) carrying this variety TBD.

This is hands-down our best beefsteak, and it will the first "Artisan Seeds" beefsteak tomato released. Not many tomatoes taste great, even in "over-watered" situations, but this one does. I was blown away by the incredibly rich flavor in the first Orange Jazz of the season -- I just got done eating them. We have not cut the water yet, to sweeten the tomatoes, but Orange Jazz still shines.

You won't see me singing the praises of a bunch of other beefsteaks this year -- this is THE ONE.
Fred, I'm just getting through registering my new seed company, so please put me down as one of the companies you will be providing with seeds.

Thank you so much in advance.

Carolyn
Old July 6, 2015   #9
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I love orange tomatoes - will look forward to trying it.
Old July 6, 2015   #10
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful tomato! All of your varieties Im growing this year have been vigorous plants, heavy producers, attractive fruits, and disease free. Would you consider it as low acid like most yellow/orange varieties?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Beautiful tomato! All of your varieties Im growing this year have been vigorous plants, heavy producers, attractive fruits, and disease free. Would you consider it as low acid like most yellow/orange varieties?
I'm sure Fred will have an opinion about your low acid comment, but here's mine.

For many years it was thought, with no data to prove it, that the pastel colored fruits were low acid, and some websites/catalogs say the same, but it turns out that they have normal acidity but a higher sugar content which masks the acidity.

And yes, if you Google this issue you'll plenty of links where data is shown to confirm that.

I'd do it for you but this is the 2nd week of Wimbledon tennis and I'm just touching base here briefly and back out I go to watch.

Carolyn
Old July 6, 2015   #12
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

You can for sure have it fall 2016.

It might be available to any interested seed company in 2015, but Johnny's Selected Seeds (our supporter and collaborator) has the right to sell it exclusively, if they want to, the first year of release.

We don't know what their decision will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Fred, I'm just getting through registering my new seed company, so please put me down as one of the companies you will be providing with seeds.

Thank you so much in advance.

Carolyn
Old July 6, 2015   #13
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

It is definitely sweet -- with hints of peach at peak flavor.

I would say it seems less acidic, like most yellow and orange tomatoes.

Exciting to hear that the Artisan Cherries are doing well in South Carolina. We feel fortunate that they seem to stand up well most places, even though they don't have "advertised" disease resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Old July 6, 2015   #14
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I'm sure Fred will have an opinion about your low acid comment, but here's mine.

For many years it was thought, with no data to prove it, that the pastel colored fruits were low acid, and some websites/catalogs say the same, but it turns out that they have normal acidity but a higher sugar content which masks the acidity.

And yes, if you Google this issue you'll plenty of links where data is shown to confirm that.

I'd do it for you but this is the 2nd week of Wimbledon tennis and I'm just touching base here briefly and back out I go to watch.

Carolyn
I had always heard that, too, and I believe it. On another note, FusionPower said that Kellogg's Breakfast (and possibly other orange tomatoes?) do not have the protein that causes some people to get mouth ulcers. I thought that was interesting.

Enjoy your tennis.
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipetual View Post
I had always heard that, too, and I believe it. On another note, FusionPower said that Kellogg's Breakfast (and possibly other orange tomatoes?) do not have the protein that causes some people to get mouth ulcers. I thought that was interesting.

Enjoy your tennis.
From doing a bit of reading it seems to me that mouth ulcers, aka canker sores, are the result of allergic reactions, thus a reaction on the part of the individual person having nothing to do with any specific tomato variety/color/protein.

Darrel has also said that he can't tell the difference between the colors orange and gold, ahem, so maybe he was referring to Aunt Gertie's Gold.

And there are plenty of other foods, as noted in the following Google search, that can elicit mouth ulcers.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...n+mouth+ulcers

Carolyn