Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 6, 2015   #61
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Greg - We can have anything we _____well please as a factor. If I want to give away seeds of my new miracle tomato Bimbo Linda's Blue Brandywine that tastes like a banana I get to. This thread reminds me of the one from years ago where some brain trusts decided there was no such thing as a gold tomato and created a color chart missing gold to prove the point. They may, or may not be technically correct. I DON'T CARE. If I see a tomato as gold, I'm gonna call it gold and you cant stop me. This is not a hard concept to understand.

As I said, Camo has grown this for a number of years and I trust his opinion about taste and production over time. You don't have to. Don't grow it, don't talk about it, pretend it doesn't exist.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #62
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Linda, I don't know why you went there. And don't care. All you've done is put cowlicks on a pedestal. Fine. Go right ahead and do that. Do what you want.
It doesn't answer my question from pages back.
It's like the new golf club that adds 30 yards to my drive. Longer than the one I bought last year that adds 30 yards to my drive, and the one before that...

Every year there's another tomato that will out produce everything you've ever tried before! Lol

I'm sorry, in opinion, and it doesn't matter much, I'm not sure getting a productive tomato in your garden constitutes a new 'strain' and should be labeled as such. Too many variables. Again, if it had different skin,..... you know where I'm going..

You guys chat about it. It's like I'm arguing with someone protective big brother.

Greg

Last edited by gssgarden; February 6, 2015 at 01:22 PM.
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #63
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

There's another way to look at it all! If Brandywine didn't taste so great then no one would bother to make other strains of it available. All of the different strains are a testament to how good this tomato is. I have to be honest, if I was growing a great tasting tomato but one that has a reputation of being on the stingy side and all of a sudden find myself shelling out fruit with some seeds I bought from a different source then I myself would be inclined to share them with the world and call them a new strain of Brandywine....
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #64
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al@NC View Post
There's another way to look at it all! If Brandywine didn't taste so great then no one would bother to make other strains of it available. All of the different strains are a testament to how good this tomato is. I have to be honest, if I was growing a great tasting tomato but one that has a reputation of being on the stingy side and all of a sudden find myself shelling out fruit with some seeds I bought from a different source then I myself would be inclined to share them with the world and call them a new strain of Brandywine....
Your assumption is that Brandywine tastes great, but that's an assumption with which I differ.

I think it has a unique taste but not necessarily a great taste. And I put Prue in the same category. I can Id few varieties by flesh aroma, Brandywine and Prue are two of them that to me have a unique taste.

Carolyn
Old February 6, 2015   #65
daninpd
Tomatovillian™

If I got a seed packet with a label that said "These seeds are from a Brandywine (pink) plant that was way more productive and earlier than any other Brandywine I ever grew (and I've grow a lot of them). It also produces later in the season than the other Brandywines I grew". I would probably be tempted to try it. But since most seed packet labels are the size of a postage stamp there is only room to call it "Cowlick's Brandywine" and post a description someplace like T'ville and hopefully I will be able to find the description with a websearch. Works for me, and I am trying Cowlick's for the first time this year. And I sure like the name better than some of the new varieties I'm getting with names that consist of a collection of v. k and j consonants with a random vowel thrown in (usualy an "i") to spice up the mix.
Old February 6, 2015   #66
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Well said!

I also agree with your comments about the "hard to pronounce" "hard to spell" varieties which I try to avoid.

Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninpd View Post
If I got a seed packet with a label that said "These seeds are from a Brandywine (pink) plant that was way more productive and earlier than any other Brandywine I ever grew (and I've grow a lot of them). It also produces later in the season than the other Brandywines I grew". I would probably be tempted to try it. But since most seed packet labels are the size of a postage stamp there is only room to call it "Cowlick's Brandywine" and post a description someplace like T'ville and hopefully I will be able to find the description with a websearch. Works for me, and I am trying Cowlick's for the first time this year. And I sure like the name better than some of the new varieties I'm getting with names that consist of a collection of v. k and j consonants with a random vowel thrown in (usualy an "i") to spice up the mix.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #67
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssgarden View Post
and will someone PLEASE send me some Cowlicks seeds so I can get them in this weekend!!! lol

Greg

I was all set to send you some Greg, especially since you were kind enough to share your Shannon seeds with me, but when I looked, I discovered that there are only four seeds in my packet .

Hopefully, somebody has some seeds to share with you!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #68
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Guess we better take a time out Greg, we keep talking apples and oranges or peppers ad tomatoes as it were! Sorry if I overstepped in anyway.
Old February 6, 2015   #69
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Has not Cowlick's been productive in many gardens? In many places? it's not just one. And yes tastes matters. If I leave out it tastes like carboard wetted with tomato juice, you might want to know that!
On Dave's Garden 2 say production was better, none say same or worse.
In 2010 a couple people on gardenweb grew both Cowlick's and Sudduth's In both cases Cowlick's won. It was a better producer just by a little bit, taste considered better too.
It does appear to be a better strain. I'm going to have to try it now!! Now on my want list.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #70
camochef
Tomatovillian™

OK, I keep saying I'm done posting about Cowlick's...but I keep getting drawn back in.
Nowhere have I ever said that Cowlick's Brandywine was a Strain. I simply use the name to differentiate it's seed from others. After all I have Brandywine seed from many different sources. Probably 10 different Pink Brandywine, 7 different Brandywine-Sudduth's, Three or four different Black Brandywines, I don't recall how many different Red Brandywines of different leaf types. Why even Cowlick's Brandywine R.L. which came back from a grower in Alabama after he received seeds from another grower in I think it was the Carolina's It goes on and on.

I used the name Cowlick's to identify the nursery from which the plant came originally. I sent seed to a grower in Kansas, who was thrilled with its performance over the Pink Brandywines he had been growing. He in turn sent seeds to growers in Germany, Kentucky, and elsewhere. Within a year, there were Cowlick seeds growing around the world. Just about every state, in Canada, throughout Europe as It's popularity spread there from its original receiver in Germany. To Asia, Central and South America. It grew where other Brandywines wouldn't. People liked it! I never charged a cent for its seed. As a matter of fact it cost me a tidy sum in bubble mailers and postage. literally hundreds of dollars, probably much more over the last 9 years or so. This will be the tenth season I'm growing Cowlick's Brandywine. Never sold a single seed. Asked others not to sell any...but to pass them on free to tomato growers everywhere.

I still do the same thing with other sources. I have Dana's German Johnson- Benton Strain, Dana's Dusky Rose, etc. If this upsets some...so be it. I'm not changing my methods of growing and naming things from where they came. Went through that with Barlow Jap when BRT took offense to using the word Jap. That's what it was when I received the seed and that's what mine will remain. Similar story about 3 polish varieties I received from one person and had others try to change the name...I just quit growing it! You cannot please everyone, especially in today's world.
Grow what you like, don't grow what you don't want. Be hard headed about your opinions, just don't ask me for seed anymore!
Now I'm done! I hope!
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #71
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Could you imagine politics being discussed here? To make this topic worse, I grew Cowlick's from two sources that were at least 5 years removed from each other, and guess what?

They tasted different with similar looks and yield.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #72
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Could you imagine politics being discussed here? To make this topic worse, I grew Cowlick's from two sources that were at least 5 years removed from each other, and guess what?

They tasted different with similar looks and yield.
Doesn't surprise me at all. Over the years, so many people were growing Cowlick's and saving seeds, most without bagging blossoms. That they are crossed with just about any and everything. Sit in your garden quietly when tomatoes are in bloom and just watch the bees and wasps and many other insects flying from one blossom to another. This doesn't effect this years tomato but it does cross pollinate the seeds for next year. Then they are bagged and sent all over.
I'm sure that even my own seed now, is tainted from what it was 9-10 years ago. My tomato growing days are coming to an end very soon anyway, just hoping I get through this season as I have some things in the works that I'd love to taste.
Enjoy!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #73
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Dang. If I had known you were all going to be so passionate about Brandywines, I should have named one of mine "Brandywine Mud Ball, Elbonian strain".
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #74
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Camo I hope you have a great season this year and many more to come! Thank you for all the reviews and informative posts you have made over the years and the seeds you have so generously shared.
Old February 6, 2015   #75
newgardener_tx
Tomatovillian™

I can't stop joining the talk here.
Did you read Mr. Camo's explanation at all? And he repeated several time. This special tomato he found in a nursery produced 100 lbs, much more than a normal production; Camo sent out seeds to friends and confirmed unusual production; People from different parts of world confirmed it; At last the owner lost it's special description but only remembered it is one kind of Brandywine. And what did Camo do? he named it with the nursery's name tagging with Brandywine, taking no credit by growing/proving it, spending money to share with other tomato lovers. He didn't name a totally different name. He didn't grow other kind of tomatoes like CP, KB... and picked the best performer to name it CP-xxx strain, KB-xxx Strain. He just happenlly got a super performer with lost name and took no credit to share with the rest.
I only see a true lover of tomatoes, a joyful heart.
Sorry, I feel no body would want to send you the Cowlick's brandywine seeds.

Newgardener_TX

"It doesn't answer my question from pages back."
Every year there's another tomato that will out produce everything you've ever tried before! Lol
I'm sorry, in opinion, and it doesn't matter much, I'm not sure getting a productive tomato in your garden constitutes a new 'strain' and should be labeled as such."partially quoted from gssgarden

Last edited by newgardener_tx; February 6, 2015 at 03:29 PM. Reason: missed quote line
newgardener_tx is offline   Reply With Quote