Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 30, 2014   #46
natural
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad Gary started this thread now. It has given me motivation to start the process.

I am spending the weekend germination testing all of my varieties to determine potential candidates for inclusion in in the swap.

I hope ALOT of members join the swap this year.

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2014   #47
ABlindHog
Tomatovillian™

Native your state here tomatoes
Like so many other new folks here I don't have enough seeds to participate to the extent that I would like, but I would enjoy the chance to get started. I would also like to propose a new category to see if there is any interest in it. The category for me would be called Native Texans, (it's important to those of us from the Lone Star state), but by inserting your locale of interest it could be applied to any place. Each state has it's own history and stories to tell.
The Texas agricultural experiment stations and Texas A&M have developed many varieties both for home gardeners and commercial growers. From Paul Leeper's Chico series, including Chico III which went on to be the most widely grown variety in the world to P. A. Young's ubiquitous Stick tomato. Small seed companies and nurseries like V.O. Porter's Porter & Sons and J.D. Brann's Conroe Greenhouse have contributed dozens including the special C-Tex vegetable varieties and V.O.'s Porter tomatoes. Not to mention unknown numbers of Family heirlooms that are all a part of the rich agricultural history of Texas.
By including the place that a variety originated (if you know it) on the seed packet it could be included in this category, and even if it is not used in this way it might inspire someone to dig up and share the varieties history. Perhaps this would be too complex to add to this swap but I would very much like to know if others are interested in this aspect of growing tomatoes.

Last edited by ABlindHog; August 30, 2014 at 02:12 PM. Reason: For clarity
ABlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2014   #48
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I read your reply and sat down and thought about it for a while. At first, my usual thought process of denying help from others went through my mind, but then again, I joined this site to learn from all you guys.

Your offer is kind and I appreciate it more than words can say.

As for what kind of tomato categories, um, they are all new to me. The loved ones I grow tomatoes for all like cherry tomatoes most. Cherry tomatoes is my choice of category.

I am having an extreme pain day today. I have Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy type 2. It has taken me an hour to reply. Thank you for your offer.
I will send in enough for Cherries category for you! It is good to accept help once in a while. It makes me happy to be able to help you, so consider it your good dead for the day letting me do so! I hope this is okay with Tormato. I think this is how sponsoring others works? I grow at least 7-8 varieties of cherries each year, and I have lots of options for the swap.
LindyAdele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2014   #49
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

This year I will send the Czech tomatoes, about that I think, they are the best. I will send also some Spanish beefsteaks and Italian pastas.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2014   #50
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

I'm in for the pepper swap too! I'm gonna send in my absolute favorite pepper, called Red Belgian. It is a sweet pepper with thick, juicy, red walls...it grows pointing straight up. We just love them. I only know one other person who grows them so it will be good to get them out there to others!

I wonder if in the pepper trade we can have a category for "spices". I have been really into drying my own paprika's and such.
Old August 31, 2014   #51
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzelu100 View Post
I'm in for the pepper swap too! I'm gonna send in my absolute favorite pepper, called Red Belgian. It is a sweet pepper with thick, juicy, red walls...it grows pointing straight up. We just love them. I only know one other person who grows them so it will be good to get them out there to others!

I wonder if in the pepper trade we can have a category for "spices". I have been really into drying my own paprika's and such.
Tabasco peppers grow upward too. I didn't know that until it happened in my garden.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2014   #52
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

I responded on the Wish List Thread and thought I'd respond on this thread to cover myself.....I'm in!
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2014   #53
falconblack
Tomatovillian™

Default I am in too

I don't have many varieties but I do have a baja pepper which is very tasty.
falconblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2014   #54
green_go
Tomatovillian™

I'm in for pepper trade. I will send Brazilian Starfish seeds (hot) and maybe Lipstick (sweet)
Old August 31, 2014   #55
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_go View Post
I'm in for pepper trade. I will send Brazilian Starfish seeds (hot) and maybe Lipstick (sweet)

Ooooh yes, please send in lipstick pepper!
Old August 31, 2014   #56
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaJo View Post
I responded on the Wish List Thread and thought I'd respond on this thread to cover myself.....I'm in!

Me too!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2014   #57
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

green_go - yes on both Brazilian Starfish and Lipstick! I'd love to try both of them.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2014   #58
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default vortex got me

I might as well be in and done with it, instead of swirling around the rim. Peppers too, of course!!!

Will peppers be like a 'category'' where we send in ten packs of one kind? If so, I think I'll have to send Guajillo, I have many seeds of that one. They are early, mild hot with a rich taste, and a favourite here for so many things.

BTW Gary, your Frank's peppers were true to seed and we enjoyed them very much. They did well in a tough year for peppers.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2014   #59
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir,

Please post a list here of any varieties you may still be looking for. I know you already have planned for 2015, and maybe 2016, and have most of those tomatoes.

And, this is for the rest of you in the swap, I'm hoping you have some of the varieties Vladimir may be looking for. He was the only one that I didn't send seeds back to, last year. There was a slight communication problem at the start, and we decided it was best to wait until this fall for me to send seeds.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2014   #60
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Peppers look like a go for the swap. I forgot about paprika types...so a third category? Peppers will be a work in progress. If people have 10 packs of a variety to donate, fine. If not, send in what you have. I generally get lower germination compared to tomatoes (maybe it is two year old seed sent), so perhaps 10+ seeds per pack instead of 5-10 like tomatoes.

Like tomatoes, I'd like a wish list (a shorter one) of about 3 varieties from each of you, so I can post it along with the tomato list.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote