Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 25, 2012   #1
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Default actinovate biota max exel lg and serenade

anyone using all of these at once? i was thinking of making a spray using these 4 products along with biogrow molasses.

i want to get off to an early start on the preventative side of things.

i could also throw in some mycogrow soluble but plan on only using as a soil drench.
TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2012   #2
John3
Tomatovillian™

Maybe Ami will chime in on this. If I remember right he said not to use exel with the others (don't know about serenade) but mixes exel with actinovate for a spray. Not sure about this someone with more knowledge about it might chime in..
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2012   #3
babice
Tomatovillian™

As it so happens, today I've been studying all the threads on actinovate, biotamax, excel LG, etc. Here's one quote from ami: "...normally I keep my foliar applications of Actinovate, which I mix with Exel LG, separate from my foliar applications of nutrients; but I do use molasses for both as a spreader/sticker." I also read that someone (Raybo?) uses Serenade instead of Actinovate for foliar applications because Serenade is less expensive. So I got the impression that they are the same? Everyone that posted about Actinovate did agree, though, that it's worth the cost for dipping the roots into when planting and pouring the rest over the base at that time.
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2012   #4
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Actinovate is Streptomyces lydicus strain WYEC 108 and Serenade is Bacillus subtilis, two different bacterium each with anti-fungal properties.

Exel LG is a systemic inorganic chemical fungicide containing Mono- and di-potassium salts of Phosphorous Acid.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2012   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Actinovate uses Streptomyces Lydicus WYEC 108 as it's active ingredient and Serenade uses Bacillus subtilis as it's active ingredient. The Actinovate will control a greater diversity of fungus than Serenade. Now the Biota Max I use in my plant out dip along with MycoGrow and Actinovate does contain Bacillus subtillis.

For my foliar applications for disease I alternate between Actinovate/EXCEL LG and Azoxystrobin using Molasses as a spreader sticker.

I see no advantage or need in using MycoGrow or Biota Max for foliar applications.

Ami
Old April 26, 2012   #6
Vinny
Tomatovillian™

Could you describe your use of molasses? I use Excel LG and actinovate your use of molasses intrigues me.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2012   #7
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

What about mixing Actinovate with just Serenade? I use Serenade but know it doesn't control everything. I bought both this year thinking I would alternate, but if I could mix them together that would be very timesaving?
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2012   #8
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Keep in mind that chorinated water if you use will have a affect if not kill those beneficials.Distiilled water would be my choice.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2012   #9
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

I have Actinovate and Exel LG (Actually, it's Agri Fos), which I've been using as a weekly foliar spray on my young seedlings. I'm starting to see a lot of moths and butterflies flutter about the yard, so I know it's time to start spraying out BT. Does anyone here know if I can effectively mix the BT bacteria with those in the Actinovate (and are they amenable to the acid in the Exel? How about mixing Actinovate, Excel and insecticidal soap? How about all four together?

I'm trying to reduce the number of spray days from 3 or 4 a week down to ideally just 1.

Thanks for your guidance.
--naysen

Edit. Oh, I'm actually also including a 1/2 strength dosage of Greencure fungicide in the Actinovate/Excel LG mix. I don't know how I decided that wouldn't be a problem for the Actinovate microorganisms, but I wouldn't mind confirmation of that assumption? thx.
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2012   #10
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_willus_d View Post
I have Actinovate and Exel LG (Actually, it's Agri Fos), which I've been using as a weekly foliar spray on my young seedlings. I'm starting to see a lot of moths and butterflies flutter about the yard, so I know it's time to start spraying out BT. Does anyone here know if I can effectively mix the BT bacteria with those in the Actinovate (and are they amenable to the acid in the Exel? How about mixing Actinovate, Excel and insecticidal soap? How about all four together?

I'm trying to reduce the number of spray days from 3 or 4 a week down to ideally just 1.

Thanks for your guidance.
--naysen

Edit. Oh, I'm actually also including a 1/2 strength dosage of Greencure fungicide in the Actinovate/Excel LG mix. I don't know how I decided that wouldn't be a problem for the Actinovate microorganisms, but I wouldn't mind confirmation of that assumption? thx.
Curious as well. I did my first application of Actinovate, Exel LG with Mollasses as spreader. I need to apply BT soon, thanks.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2012   #11
bdank
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post

For my foliar applications for disease I alternate between Actinovate/EXCEL LG and Azoxystrobin using Molasses as a spreader sticker.

Ami
Ami,
I'm interested in trying this instead of Danconil this year. How much Molasses do you use and are you mixing the Actinovate and EXCEL LG for the same application? Do you follow the application rates on the package?

I can't find a source for Azoxystrobin, so I will only be using the Actinovate and EXCEL LG.
bdank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2012   #12
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdank View Post
Ami,
I'm interested in trying this instead of Danconil this year. How much Molasses do you use and are you mixing the Actinovate and EXCEL LG for the same application? Do you follow the application rates on the package?

I can't find a source for Azoxystrobin, so I will only be using the Actinovate and EXCEL LG.
I will answer for her since I asked this to her recently.

yes she mixes Actinovate and Excel LG plus molasses.

Molasses is 1 tablespoon per Gal of water.
Old April 30, 2012   #13
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I will answer for her
Ami is a HE but you are not the first to think Ami is a she.

If you want to spray with other products I would do so alternating with the Actinovate/EXEL LG which I do when applying Azoxystrobin.

As far as BT is concerned apply it separately and any other Bio-Insecticides as well.

1 Tbls of Molasses per gallon sound about right.

Just remember, you have to start making your foliar applications from the Git Go and continue on through the whole season. You let your plants get infected your hosed.

Ami
Old April 30, 2012   #14
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Ami
I stand corrected

How frequent are you guys applying BT?

Last edited by Crandrew; April 30, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old April 30, 2012   #15
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
LOL! This made babice giggle!
babice is offline   Reply With Quote