Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 3, 2013   #61
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Maybe I'll try growing both Kubinskiy Chornyi Peretz and Snickers next year. Now I have only one "canner": a plum bought as a plant without name but with the description "egg-shaped indeterminate red ground tomato", and if the "egg-shaped" goes for anything elongated, that seems to be true. I've tried a couple, and they are just so-so raw and have very few seeds.
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2013   #62
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Does anyone know if there is a band on shipping seeds from Russia to the U.S. ?
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2013   #63
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaJo View Post
Does anyone know if there is a band on shipping seeds from Russia to the U.S. ?
I have received seeds from Russia as part of a trade. So as far as I know there is no Ban. Also there are some Russian companies that sell seeds to the USA. That would also seem to indicate there is no Ban. However, I am no lawyer. International law is above my pay grade.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2013   #64
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

There is an Ukrainan based seed company selling vegetable heirloom seeds - they have some interesting looking tomatoes I have not seen elsewhere.
I have purchased from their Ebay store, but one can buy from their site directly.

www.nikitovka.com
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2013   #65
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Red and Narnian.

I've been exploring Russian sites. It's neat to see what other seed companies offer.
Old December 7, 2013   #66
TedB
Tomatovillian™

Hi..I've been "reading you" for a ton of time...followed the Black Tomato discussion/got back last week. Anyway..I 'found' the BPT on Tomatojunkie's web site--Iva Graša, near Novo Mesto in Slovenia. I grew it out this past season (on the Hood Canal, Wa) have a couple of pictures I can share. I noticed both Iva's note (pic's ??? - see http://www.xxxxxxjunkie.info/index.p...i-paradiniki); also Andrey's Jan 4, 2013 note/pics:

"Kubinskiy Pertsevidnyi (Pepper-like from Cuba) is the right name for this tomato. It is called Kubinskiy Pertsevidnyi Chornyi and Kubinskiy Chornyi Peretz sometimes as well."

My/Iva's BP looks to be a bit longer, rippled, and with a greenish shoulder. Anyway...

I am down to 3 seeds for 2014...should have been smarter about saving seeds in September last. Checking Iva's web site I found that she's placed Black Pepper in her archive--I've emailed her/no response so far. Tatiana, up in BC, doesn't recognize the variety/possible breeding..either. ted URL) and Andrey's Jan 4, 2013 note+pics..especially Andrey's speculation:

Kubinskiy Pertsevidnyi (Pepper-like from Cuba) is the right name for this tomato. It is called Kubinskiy Pertsevidnyi Chornyi and Kubinskiy Chornyi Peretz sometimes as well.

My/Iva's BP looks to be a bit longer, rippled, and with a greenish shoulder. Anyway...

I am down to 3 seeds for 2014...should have been smarter about saving seeds in September last. Checking Iva's web site I found that she's placed Black Pepper in her archive--I've emailed her/no response so far. Tatiana, up in BC, doesn't recognize the variety/possible breeding..either. ted
TedB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2013   #67
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Hi!

I emailed Iva on this site. I believe they are one of the same. She's tried to send me some seeds, but I guess they didn't make it through. It happens. May be later we can try again.
Old December 12, 2013   #68
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Default "Kubinskiy Pertsevidnyi (Pepper-like from Cuba)

Hi TedB,

Thanks for posting! I clicked on the link to see pictures, but it won't work. Oh, well.

I am forever lurking and hoping I can get some to grow....

If you ever grow those seeds out and want to trade, let me know. I love the way they look and want to see how they taste raw and cooked.

After Christmas, I will use my vacation to pick out the tomatoes I will be growing for this spring. Forever got the fever!

Christina
Old December 13, 2013   #69
TedB
Tomatovillian™

Default BT Pictures

Hi ChristinaJo..nice, someone else with disposable time. Just kidding. I'll chase down/copy her (iva's) pics and a couple of my own from September. I'll attempt to post them here tomorrow. If that does work send me a note (buila@siu.edu). ted
Old December 13, 2013   #70
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedB View Post
Hi ChristinaJo..nice, someone else with disposable time. Just kidding. I'll chase down/copy her (iva's) pics and a couple of my own from September. I'll attempt to post them here tomorrow. If that does work send me a note (buila@siu.edu). ted
Ted, do you have a good link for Iva's website?

I've was in touch with her in mid Nov b/c one of her varieties I SSE listed and needed to know more about it and also intend to list it in my annual seed offer here at Tville. We've traded seeds many times , which I do with a few persons I know well, and that's a very few.

I can tell you that her son and she both were having some health problems and I don't know if that's still ongoing and how that might impact responses from her.

Hope, that helps,

Carolyn
Old December 13, 2013   #71
TedB
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Pepper Tomato Discussion

ChristianaJo//Carolyn..Hi. The url below (Iva Graša/Novo Mesto, Slovenia--"our" Tomatojunkie) is working for me as I write this. It takes you to her dark tomato variety "archive" page (seeds no longer available.) I'll try to attach a PDF of the page. The English google translate is readable..just backup a bit/you should be able to make it out.

The index on the left side of the page (US google translate Flag at the bottom) will back you into the rest of her site. She's done a nice job.

Also, I'll try to attach a couple of pictures (9/13) of my grow-out of her BPT seeds here along the Hood Canal in Washington. The past couple of years my outside tomatoes only started to color the last week in August. The pics of my BPT are from a single trial plant grown inside an unheated plastic covered greenhouse.

Just a bit more. Striking color/bright skin/rich green shoulders, nice wrinkles/no scars or blemishes, excellent farmer's market table appeal. Medium wall thickness + just a very few seeds = a bit "hard" to the touch/feel (understandable.) As far as its breeding/gene pool I'm up a tree. I've grown quite a number of Romas and a few variations of Andes...I don't think so. Ideas appreciated. [It's already getting late to chase seeds for '14 but but...Andrey's (Minsk) Kubinskiy Chornyi Peretz looks good. I'll leave it at that for now.

http://www.tomatojunkie.info/index.p...mni-paradiniki
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8239559.jpg (252.1 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg P8239556.jpg (327.3 KB, 143 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf The Dark tomatoes.pdf (195.1 KB, 19 views)
Old December 13, 2013   #72
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the link Ted and I have it on English translation all the time.

But I do see one varirty she sent me, spelled Istra, which I have seeds for and expect to include it in my nexr seed offer, spelled as Istria at her website.

So I'll have to e-mail her about that.

I didn't know she took orders, but for sure that would keep her extra busy at this time of year.

Carolyn
Old December 13, 2013   #73
bower
Tomatovillian™

RedBaron, Scott, I'd like to hear your end of season update on Snickers and "Black Pepper", the ol start to finish sumup, when you get a moment.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2013   #74
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Thanks for the link Ted and I have it on English translation all the time.

But I do see one varirty she sent me, spelled Istra, which I have seeds for and expect to include it in my nexr seed offer, spelled as Istria at her website.

So I'll have to e-mail her about that.

I didn't know she took orders, but for sure that would keep her extra busy at this time of year.

Carolyn
I did e-mail her and she answered ASAP b/c it was clarifying the spelling of a variety name that I needed to know about ASAP and now I'm all set, It was a Google translation problem.

She said that she and her son were now fine and also said that she has no time to go to any message sites. This is only the third year she's been selling seeds and she's really quite overwhelmed.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
Old December 14, 2013   #75
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
RedBaron, Scott, I'd like to hear your end of season update on Snickers and "Black Pepper", the ol start to finish sumup, when you get a moment.
I grew both. Both were EXACTLY the same in the early growth phase. So exact it was uncanny actually. Like clones! However, once the plants started producing fruit there were differences. The Black Pepper seeds I got kept growing huge plants. While the Snickers slowed foliage growth and started pumping out tomatoes instead. Snickers looks similar to the pics people are showing of Black Pepper, but smaller on average. Also slightly less "wrinkled" and slightly less "pointy". However, Snickers was radically more productive. Probably 30 times more productive and that's not an exaggeration. They taste about exactly the same.

As for me, I am going with Snickers from now on. It is a sauce tomato, so size is far less important than total productivity.

PS I LOVE the taste of both. Once customers got past the unusual color and shape, they became some of the most popular at the stand. The sauce made from them was absolutely the best I ever tasted. The cooking qualities were unusual too. They seemed to "break down" and reduce very easily, almost magically, in short order, especially Snickers. So in another climate if productivity of Black Pepper is better, I highly recommend it for sauce. You can make thick sauce that isn't runny so fast it still retains that "fresh" taste, instead of many tomatoes that end up needing to be over cooked to get thick enough. It was noticeable enough that I did a microwave "experiment" on both compared to Costoluto Genovese. Even in just a minute or two in the microwave the Snickers and Black Pepper "dissolved" into sauce, while the Italian sauce tomatoes kept their shape and just got hot. But here in OK where 100 degrees + is a common occurrence, Snickers is FAR better at setting fruit. I am just guessing, but the plants of Black Pepper did look good and healthy, some of the healthiest plants I grew of any variety, but they just didn't set fruit in this climate well at all. So I am thinking in a cooler climate, there is a potential for Black Pepper to out produce Snickers. Definitely not here though.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; December 14, 2013 at 08:20 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote