Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 5, 2013   #46
frdlturner
Tomatovillian™

awesome looking tomato hmmm thought I done getting seed LOL guess I will look for this one too
frdlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2013   #47
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

It's a very interesting tomato. The question is who has it. I've tried searching on Black pepper tomato and of course get links to recipes fro dishes that have tomatoes and black pepper in them. I've tried searching for the Russian Names and get nothing.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2013   #48
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iva View Post
YES, THAT IS IT!
Sounds good. And Andrey's picture looks right too. I guess we can forget about Annanet.
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2013   #49
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaRussian View Post

Scott, do you have room to grow them all out and compare? If so, I will send you some seeds.

P.S. Black Icicle is a totally different variety, it's a smooth elongated plum.
Marina,
I finally am seeing a difference between the snickers you sent me and the black pepper willyswoodpile sent me.

From the beginning.
germination=same
early seedling growth=same
foliage=same
plant habit=same
fruit set.......huge difference at least in Oklahoma. Your snickers have set a lot of fruit and I have several 1&2 inch greenies on both plants and tons of new blooms. Black pepper has few blossoms and no confirmed fruit set on anything yet. I planted them side by side 2 each. And I want to point out that in the early stages when I say same, I mean EXACTLY the same. Almost to the point of ridiculously the same. For example not only did both germinate 4/5, but both sprouted all 4 the same hour of the same day! There was no "runt" seedling. All accepted transplanting exactly the same, grew the same pace etc. Very unusual for that to happen even in long stabilized seeds. But now that it is time to set fruit everything changed.

This leads me to believe that this was not caused by an accidental cross, but instead both varieties are very stable. Could be related though? Once I get a chance to both see and taste the ripe fruit I'll know better.

Oh and I also grew black icicle. Completely different plants. Easily spotted right from the very beginning.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2013   #50
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

You guys could make a new TV series from this thread. It is full of mystery and suspense. I look forward to the final outcome.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2013   #51
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
You guys could make a new TV series from this thread. It is full of mystery and suspense. I look forward to the final outcome.
We will call it "Days of our tomatoes"

Well I have an update. I am in love head over heals

Thank you for the snickers Marina. I just yesterday made sauce. OMG Unbelievable! There are just not words to describe it. I don't even care what Black pepper tastes like anymore. The snickers is just that good in sauce I also am in love with the productivity! I must have at least 10 or more snickers for every black pepper. And none of the black pepper are ripe yet, but I have already just from the first picking 12 snickers off 2 plants!

The only bad thing is about 1/3 have splits, only one had a bad split, most were small cracking on the shoulder and 2/3 had no cracking at all. We did get flooded again a couple days ago, so I guess it is expected. But for sauce? Just cut the bad spot out and cook em up anyway! The flavor cooked is so good it is crazy! I was skeptical at first too. The flavor fresh is just so so, and the texture I didn't like very much. But once I cooked em up? Magical.

The thing is I am definitely an amateur cook. I have always had problems making good Italian sauce. It won't thicken right for me even using paste types and it never tastes exactly right either. Those snickers thickened up perfectly! I usually end up cheating and adding a store bought can of paste.

No more! I can now make sauce better than the best Italian restaurant I ever ate at! MUCH better!

Ingredients:
1 Campbell's 146
1 The Miracle BPF
5 or 6 Snickers
1 clove pickled garlic
small onion (Egyptian walking)
fresh basil, oregano, tarragon
(unfortunately I had to use dry rosemary as my rosemary died in the spring floods)
pinch of sea salt

simmer until thick

OMG! I just died and went to heaven! I suppose it is not a purist Snickers sauce, because I did add part of a Campbell's 146 and The Miracle BPF, both had bad spots so I couldn't sell them....so I cut the bad spots out and added them...but Snickers thickens so well it didn't matter!

Snickers will be my go to sauce tomato for sure!

Next year instead of only 2 plants, I am growing a whole 30 foot row of Snickers! Thanks again Marina!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
Old July 31, 2013   #52
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
We will call it "Days of our tomatoes"

Well I have an update. I am in love head over heals

Thank you for the snickers Marina. I just yesterday made sauce. OMG Unbelievable! There are just not words to describe it. I don't even care what Black pepper tastes like anymore. The snickers is just that good in sauce I also am in love with the productivity! I must have at least 10 or more snickers for every black pepper. And none of the black pepper are ripe yet, but I have already just from the first picking 12 snickers off 2 plants!

The only bad thing is about 1/3 have splits, only one had a bad split, most were small cracking on the shoulder and 2/3 had no cracking at all. We did get flooded again a couple days ago, so I guess it is expected. But for sauce? Just cut the bad spot out and cook em up anyway! The flavor cooked is so good it is crazy! I was skeptical at first too. The flavor fresh is just so so, and the texture I didn't like very much. But once I cooked em up? Magical.

The thing is I am definitely an amateur cook. I have always had problems making good Italian sauce. It won't thicken right for me even using paste types and it never tastes exactly right either. Those snickers thickened up perfectly! I usually end up cheating and adding a store bought can of paste.

No more! I can now make sauce better than the best Italian restaurant I ever ate at! MUCH better!

Ingredients:
1 Campbell's 146
1 The Miracle BPF
5 or 6 Snickers
1 clove pickled garlic
small onion (Egyptian walking)
fresh basil, oregano, tarragon
(unfortunately I had to use dry rosemary as my rosemary died in the spring floods)
pinch of sea salt

simmer until thick

OMG! I just died and went to heaven! I suppose it is not a purist Snickers sauce, because I did add part of a Campbell's 146 and The Miracle BPF, both had bad spots so I couldn't sell them....so I cut the bad spots out and added them...but Snickers thickens so well it didn't matter!

Snickers will be my go to sauce tomato for sure!

Next year instead of only 2 plants, I am growing a whole 30 foot row of Snickers! Thanks again Marina!

How did you prepare the tomatoes for cooking? Did you take the skin of and deseed it first? Run it through a mill? Curious
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2013   #53
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaJo View Post
How did you prepare the tomatoes for cooking? Did you take the skin of and deseed it first? Run it through a mill? Curious
Just drop in boiling water, dunk a few times, run cold water over them.....and they almost fall out of the skin. Then squeeze and most the seeds come out the hole left by removing the core. Take what's left and put in the blender with garlic onions, then put on simmer till thick. I add the green herbs later.

At least that's what I do as an amateur.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison

Last edited by Redbaron; July 31, 2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old July 31, 2013   #54
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Simple. I LIKE IT!

I will try it with the tomatoes I have now....I would like to try it with those Snickers and the Kubinskiy Chornyi Peretz. I love gravy/sauce
Old July 31, 2013   #55
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Yep, I think I could easily become obsessed with black paste tomatoes. That picture was STUNNING. Hoping you're saving lots of seeds for trade soon?
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2013   #56
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Simple. I LIKE IT!

I will try it with the tomatoes I have now....I would like to try it with those Snickers and the Kubinskiy Chornyi Peretz. I love gravy/sauce
Here is the expert at sauce!
7:00 am and she's hard at work

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old July 31, 2013   #57
bower
Tomatovillian™

I'd love to see a pic of them, Scott, when you get a chance.

Next year is supposed to be my year to grow lots of different blacks, Snickers and Black Pepper are in the stash...
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2013   #58
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

If y'all have extra seeds for Snickers and the Kubinskiy Chornyi Peretz, I will be ready to make sauce with these next year..............trade?

I wonder if they would grow in my 6X8 greenhouse?
Old August 1, 2013   #59
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
If y'all have extra seeds for Snickers and the Kubinskiy Chornyi Peretz, I will be ready to make sauce with these next year..............trade?

I wonder if they would grow in my 6X8 greenhouse?
I haven't gotten any black peppers yet and not 100% sure if my black pepper is Kubinskiy Chornyi Peretz. I do have plenty of snickers and they look exactly like Marina's in post # 15

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old August 2, 2013   #60
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Those snickers would be cool.

I'm glad there's not a lot of salt in that sauce. Doctor said I had to watch that.