Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 26, 2018   #16
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
For beefsteak types, after 11 leaves has been most often for me. But that's because I grow my seedlings in a window to the west (and we start getting actual sun at the end of march usually).

Proper light during seedling stage is crucial to having early buds, and the difference can be dramatic. Also proper good growth when they are small (which requires just right nutrition which is not that easy to get).

Stupice can have flowers after 5 leaves, tested by me. I find also that potato leaf plants have flowers after less leaves generally, even ones considered late (their lateness comes from the fact that those blooms don't often set).
I do not believe Stupice with five leaves can flourish.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #17
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Well, they do (I have my seeds from TGS).
Joseph says his Jagodka flowers after 4 leaves.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2018   #18
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Maybe we all agree on Tomatoville that the color and size of the fruit, the type of leaf, the shape of the leaf and the other characteristics of the tomato varieties is given by genetics. The same is true of the number of leaves before the first inflorescence. The first inflorescence means that the plant is mature and capable of generative reproduction.
The environment in which the plant is grown does not affect this basic genetic model. Only the plant can grow faster, the stem may be thicker or thicker, the distance between the interoids may be shorter or longer. Only in case of stress conditions (drought, winter, etc.), the flowering can be delayed. In no case can not be accelerated.
In the years 2016 and 2017, I was dealing with the growth of determinant tomato varieties while watching the growth of individual leaves and inflorescence. I also watched five tomatoes of indeterminate Stupice, Philovita F1, Goldkrone, Tomatoberry F1, Charmant F1. All of these varieties had the same pattern of growth, the first flower behind the eleventh leaf, and then the three leaves and the flower, etc. On a sucker three leaves, a flower, three leaves, etc.
I have the seeds of Jagodka from Tatiana. It is a determinant variety. She grew with me this year as it is in the picture. After planting in the cold bed plant, the growth of the main stem after the third inflorescence ended.¨
Vladimír
PS.: Pictures from the growth tracking of Stupice and Jagodka are from this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stupice.jpg (66.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Jagodka.jpg (58.4 KB, 44 views)
MrBig46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2018   #19
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, you are so organized and precise. Thanks for your detailed graph.

It seems that the 11th leaf node indeed is normal for indets, I do remember it from previous years. (That's why suckers are so cool when in need of extra plants - no need for a tall stem to get fruits)
Will look for the first inflorescence in my determinates, haven't seen any yet.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2018   #20
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Just happy to report my concern was totally unfounded and this has been the most prolific plant of the season :-)
Loaded with flower trusses which already have begun to form into fruits.

Excited about this variety, Cereza Amarilla. Yellow and PL..
(will possibly send some seeds to the swap later on..)
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote