Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 26, 2018   #31
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I've had success only with the water method, and got many healthy plants that way. The ones stuck directly in soil just drooped, no matter how much thy were watered.. and after several weeks, you might get a small sickly plant that looks like a tomato seedling. Waiting for it to grow takes even longer. In our climate and short growing season, it just isn't effective.
Perhaps the soil is different in Texas
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2018   #32
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

Default Scoop on the Dirt

Quote:
Perhaps the soil is different in Texas.

Yes, it's probably much worse.

(To be fair, it is a big state, so, maybe some of its soils are more hospitable.)
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2018   #33
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
I've had success only with the water method, and got many healthy plants that way. The ones stuck directly in soil just drooped, no matter how much thy were watered.. and after several weeks, you might get a small sickly plant that looks like a tomato seedling. Waiting for it to grow takes even longer. In our climate and short growing season, it just isn't effective.
Perhaps the soil is different in Texas
they still need a mini greenhouse going on. you need to cover them with an opaque pot, cup, container... something to hold the heat and humidity until they are able to develop a couple of roots. over watering them will just promote fungal disease borne from the soil. I had a customer a few years ago lose all their tomatoes to a late frost...I went through my garden and pinched a bunch of 6" suckers off and told him to put them right in the ground and put a white bucket over them for a week. that family was ever so thankful to have tomatoes that year.

Last edited by clkeiper; June 27, 2018 at 09:54 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2018   #34
oakley
Tomatovillian™

^great idea. I have two in water right now. Too early here for many more but I'll
try that when I do have some.

I was thinking the summer heat outside might be the issue so I was placing in
shade. We are about to have a heatwave next week...I may have overwatered
thinking that was needed.

Indoors, in water, is a much better/regulated climate. Just has always worked best for me
over the soil method....

I'm game for trying other methods.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote