Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 6, 2017   #1
hockman4357
Tomatovillian™

Default Whiteflies & Aphids

What are folks using this year to combat whiteflies and aphids on their tomatoes plants. I noticed this morning when gently shaking my tomato plants that I have a lot of whiteflies flying away along with some aphids. I want to get right on this so the plants don't begin to deteriorate.
hockman4357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #2
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

I've found soapy water to work very well with whiteflies and aphids. Gotta spray the whole plant top to bottom and undersides of the leaves. Spray then wait a few days and spray again.
Country Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #3
hockman4357
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Breeze View Post
I've found soapy water to work very well with whiteflies and aphids. Gotta spray the whole plant top to bottom and undersides of the leaves. Spray then wait a few days and spray again.
What's your soapy spray recipe? Has it created any problems for your tomato plants?
hockman4357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2017   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Earlier in the spring I would used neem oil and Permethrin in a light dose. Now that it is so hot I don't use neem but rather a mix of Permethrin, food grade DE, and Dawn dish washing liquid if the infestation is getting bad. For a light infestation I use Dawn and Permethrin which will usually need a second application a few days later.

I got very tired of using soapy water only because of the frequency I had to apply it and the eventual damage the buildup of soap did to the leaves on the plants. If on the other hand you have a good supply of lacewings and ladybugs just using the soapy water would be the best coarse.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2017   #5
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I used some rapeseedoil mixture, and now neem oil mixture (with emulsifier), about 1-2% in water. They will not die completely (quite a good amount are always left, probably the bigger ones), so repeating all season is unfortunately necessary.
The whiteflies have the problem of adults that fly, so they won't be killed and can quickly begin to make more.

Last edited by zipcode; June 8, 2017 at 07:43 AM.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2017   #6
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockman4357 View Post
What's your soapy spray recipe? Has it created any problems for your tomato plants?
I use about 2 tablespoons per gallon of Dr. Bronners castile soap. Other soap can work to, but i'd stay away from detergent like dish soap.

Test spray your plants first before spraying everything.

Oh, I've not had any issues with the plants.

Last edited by Country Breeze; June 8, 2017 at 04:39 PM.
Country Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017   #7
oakley
Tomatovillian™

That's pretty much my method learned from others. Castile soap, rapeseed oil is Canola.
Neem oil in the mix if needed.

Good idea to check on just one or two plants first to see if your mix is working and not
destructive to the plants.

All the nuisance buglies breed fast. I like to have a couple yellow sticky traps out to help
monitor how all the sprays are working. They catch quite a bit but usually for me do not
take care of the problem on its own.

It seems all the life stages of the beasts are eradicated with a combination of recipes.
Fungus gnats are also in this category and hard to control as they breed down in your
soil and feed on young roots.

If i ever have an explosion in the garden i will use beneficial insects. My troubles were
in the seed starting room indoors. Probably from contaminated soil or a couple house
plants moved inside for the winter.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017   #8
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

feed your plant with a chicken manure based food along with sulfur and calcium. a healthy plant is not attractive to the pests. I have about 250 plants in the garden. I have not seen one pest bothering the plants. I use a fertilizer called Hy-Brix. I doubt if I ever go back to anything else now unless it isn't available.
Old June 9, 2017   #9
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I use Met52 for whiteflies. It is non-toxic and very effective. It is pricey, but a small amount goes a long way. I store mine in my refrigerator to extend the shelf life.

The newest word about Met52 is that it also kills ticks. So you can spray down your yard with any extra spray for tick control. I think I am going to try a little on my dog for flea control, just to see if that works.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2017   #10
Dbent4064
Tomatovillian™

Hi I'm newto board but not new to gardening
Dbent4064 is offline   Reply With Quote