Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 25, 2017   #1
backyardbrix
Tomatovillian™

Default 2017 screen house tomatoes

Thought id share some picture of the last few month of this years tomato hoop. On the left are the artisan tomato varieties from artisan seeds out of northern california, grafted to maxifort rootstock, on the right Sungolds grafted to maxifort. Fertigation is a tensiometer based gravity drip emitter product that feeds a 1.6 EC/5.8pH solution based on soil moisture, but with zero runoff through the life of the plants. Nursery 5 containers and a 70/30 peat/perlite medium. Thanks for having me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8394.jpg (451.8 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8498.jpg (585.4 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8543.jpg (701.6 KB, 124 views)
backyardbrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks nice and a lot of work involved.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017   #3
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Glad to have you here! That's a nice set up you have designed. Let us know how your harvest goes later on.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017   #4
imp
Tomatovillian™

wow, nice. Looking forward to hearing about your progress!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Yes, very nice.

What led you to want to grow grafted plants?
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017   #6
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Greetings Backyardbrix,

I moved to San Marcos in February after many years in Valley Center. I used to grow 50-100 tomato plants per year, but now have room for only 10 or so.

It is a lot cooler here, only 7 miles from the Pacific. Have you had any problem with grey mold? I have been afraid to plant any black varieties because they are susceptible to that disease.

Any other advice you have regarding growing tomatoes at the coast would be welcome.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017   #7
backyardbrix
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the kind words. This is the third year ive grown grafted tomatoes in this format. I did a side by side season with my go-to heirlooms grafted and ungrafted and recorded yields and such. The results were convincing for a few plants but with some- like the striped german hierloom- the plant becomes too vegetative and the yields are not helped much.

I also re use all my media unless i have a serious problem or insect infestation the run before, so having resistant rootstock helps ensure i'm not asking for disease problems. After the second season, the peat mix is incorporated into outdoor beds to grow other veggies.

Im also just kind of a nerd and like grafting things just to graft them.

For what its worth, I will say in a true hydroponic system which i also have running usually (recirculating, perlite only medium) the grafted vs ungrafted results are slimmer

Always experimenting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7379.jpg (326.8 KB, 93 views)
Old May 25, 2017   #8
backyardbrix
Tomatovillian™

I am about 2 blocks from the ocean in Point Loma, so technically i have water on three sides of me on the end of this peninsula. I grow black krims through the end of december with little mold or mildew problems. My secret? well its not a secret... Bacillus Amyloliquifaciens. Particular strains of this bacteria when applied foliarly or to the root zone trigger the plants defense systems through SA resistance, and via microbial antagonism. Basically its a game changer for any crops suseptible to foliar disease in high humidity conditions. Im not sure what the rules here are for linking to outside sources but there is a phenominal article published in "Frontiers in Microbiology" i can send you on the subject if youre interested.
Old May 25, 2017   #9
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Love to see the article!
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017   #10
backyardbrix
Tomatovillian™

Here ya go

http://journal.frontiersin.org/artic...015.00883/full

There are many other articles like this out there, some more recent. This is probably the most thorough article that doesnt require a subscription to access though.

I used to use Stylet oil and before that neem products to fight PM and other foliar issues in my tomatoes. Since finding this bacteria and utilizing more compost teas, I didnt need to spray any oils last year at all. And I live in PM country
Old May 25, 2017   #11
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardbrix View Post
I am about 2 blocks from the ocean in Point Loma, so technically i have water on three sides of me on the end of this peninsula. I grow black krims through the end of december with little mold or mildew problems. My secret? well its not a secret... Bacillus Amyloliquifaciens. Particular strains of this bacteria when applied foliarly or to the root zone trigger the plants defense systems through SA resistance, and via microbial antagonism. Basically its a game changer for any crops suseptible to foliar disease in high humidity conditions. Im not sure what the rules here are for linking to outside sources but there is a phenominal article published in "Frontiers in Microbiology" i can send you on the subject if youre interested.
Backyardbrix:

I googled "Bacillus Amyloliquifaciens" and many articles and some ads for products containing Bacillus Amyloliquifaciens. It is quite inexpensive. I think a lot of folks here would welcome anything that helps avoid gray mold.

TV allows you to link to articles. I found many articles on the bacillus in Frontiers of Microbiology. Can you provide a link or the title of the article you refer to?

Last edited by VC Scott; May 25, 2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old May 25, 2017   #12
backyardbrix
Tomatovillian™

It is truly a life saver. I even went out and bought a number of roses to plant on the side of my yard after being convinced if it's efficacy. Bacteria for the win
Old May 25, 2017   #13
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardbrix View Post
It is truly a life saver. I even went out and bought a number of roses to plant on the side of my yard after being convinced if it's efficacy. Bacteria for the win
I will give it a try and let my cousin know as well. He lives in Sunset Cliffs, not far from you, and his Black Krim were wiped out by fungus last year.

I searched "Amyloliquifaciens" in both the General Forum and the Common Garden Disease and Pest forum and didn't get any hits. That is rather surprising considering the depth of coverage here.

Last edited by VC Scott; May 25, 2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old May 25, 2017   #14
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Looks promising and bacterial controls are the future IMHO. That said I will add that I have had great success eliminating mold and mildew with potassium bicarbonate which is very cheap and for me solved my PM and BM issues in 2 treatments.

Edit: I see Monterey has it for 16 bucks, for that price I'm down for trying it. http://www.montereylawngarden.com/do...Label_(01).pdf

Last edited by BigVanVader; May 25, 2017 at 11:42 PM.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017   #15
backyardbrix
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Looks promising and bacterial controls are the future IMHO. That said I will add that I have had great success eliminating mold and mildew with potassium bicarbonate which is very cheap and for me solved my PM and BM issues in 2 treatments.

Edit: I see Monterey has it for 16 bucks, for that price I'm down for trying it. http://www.montereylawngarden.com/do...Label_(01).pdf
Certainly, potassium bicarbonate has been a big help for me in the past as well. I see bacterial "innoculation"...if you will... as more of a preventative measure though. Fill up the hotel rooms with good guys so there isnt room for the bad ones kinda thing.

Just be aware that there are many strains of the BA bacterium out there and some may not be as effective as others. Some brands consider their strain of BA proprietary and wont release the name or other info even after i filled up their voicemailbox with questions