Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old November 30, 2016   #16
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Seeds n Such showed up in our mailbox today.

Hmm, 16 pages of tomatoes.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2016   #17
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Totally Tomatoes showed up today.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2016   #18
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Vermont Bean came yesterday.

I think I've made my one seed purchase for the year from Pinetree (no tomatoes or peppers), but it's fun flipping through the catalogs before tossing them into the recycling bin.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2016   #19
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Vermont Bean and it's my new best favorite. There's only about 20 tomatoes listed and most are well known hybrids, AAS winners is a theme throughout the catalog. The heirloom varieties are well chosen, even though limited in number. This catalog is everything a Park Seed catalog isn't, and topping the list is the ability to alphabetize.

I have friends now and won't be needing many tomato seeds in the future, but I will be ordering the Sweet Success cukes, Ambrosia and Sugar Cube cantaloupe, and the 2017 AAS watermelon Mini Love.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2016   #20
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Seeds n Such showed up in our mailbox today.

Hmm, 16 pages of tomatoes.

I'm a little skeptical of their variety reviews. It doesn't help that they sell Container's Choice, which is probably the worst tomato variety I have ever grown. At least the catalog doesn't say anything about it tasting good.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2016   #21
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I haven't done more than look at the pictures. The weather people are saying I'm about to have a week or so to read the descriptions.
Old December 5, 2016   #22
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Is there a one stop shop source for okra, small melons and cukes and squash? Jimbo.
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2016   #23
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I really like Morgan County Seed: https://www.morgancountyseeds.com/

Selection is limited, but pricing is excellent, especially in bulk. They are an old-fashioned company, to put it mildly. The owner refused to have a web site for many years, because he was convinced the Internet was evil. I trust their descriptions of varieties a lot more than other seed companies; they will tell you the bad with the good.

In the spring when they are at their busiest, they will get 1-2 weeks behind filling orders. The catalog states very bluntly on the first page that they don't want your business if you are in a hurry.
Old December 5, 2016   #24
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I just got the free Baker Creek catalog which I am baffled is 150 pages of glossy color and yet, free. I splurged for their $9.95 US catalog that is 355 pages. I can hardly wait for that one. I will keep it as a reference book just like I kept the Sears & Roebuck catalog as a reference book for toys when I was a kid. I don't know why all the other catalogs I usually get haven't arrived yet. Perhaps the next stage coach will have some for me.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2016   #25
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Cole, thanks for tip on Morgan County site. Know anything bout the Fife creek okra? I was leaning toward Boston pickling cucumbers heard they're good but I gotta find non salty pickling solution. Prolly get sugar baby for melons and threw up my hands when I got to squash as I'm clueless on them! I sure hope they don't deliver by pony express, sounds like you get em when you get em! Lol.
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2016   #26
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My family has never tried any other okra besides Clemson Spineless. Sugar Baby is a good melon. Sangria and Crimson Sweet are the two varieties my grandparents always grew.
Old December 5, 2016   #27
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I know that here in Texas Clemson Spineless is the most recommended okra to grow. It tastes real good too. Here's a link to okra at Baker Creek http://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/okra/
Old December 6, 2016   #28
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
I just got the free Baker Creek catalog which I am baffled is 150 pages of glossy color and yet, free. I splurged for their $9.95 US catalog that is 355 pages. I can hardly wait for that one. I will keep it as a reference book just like I kept the Sears & Roebuck catalog as a reference book for toys when I was a kid. I don't know why all the other catalogs I usually get haven't arrived yet. Perhaps the next stage coach will have some for me.
They have the Whole Seed Catalog at Sam's Club for $6.88. I bought one even though
I get the free one every year. Right now I'm looking at the pepper section.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2016   #29
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I just got the 2017 Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds catalog in the mail.
Old December 7, 2016   #30
shule1

I got Baker Creek's regular catalog, today. It's pretty nice. I wonder what the whole seed catalog is like compared to it. The highlights for new tomato varieties I noticed are probably the ones from Brad Gates.

Seeds N Such's catalog arrived, too. I haven't looked through it, yet.