Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 9, 2013   #16
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Isn't it something, the amount of variation the same tomato will do in a different garden. Always amazes me.

Marsha
Same here. Brokenbar got very dry tomatoes. My Super Sauce tomatoes, all three of them, were very juicy. I will agree they are very dense, and weigh more than they look. Since there was about a two week gap between ripe tomatoes, there was no making of sauce. I sliced them onto a sandwich. In my garden, they were pretty good for a red tomato.

Dr. Lve Apple
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2015   #17
joebolin
Tomatovillian™

I live in hardiness zone 9b (coastal northern California), so I was able to start my Super Sauce seeds on January 25th in the laundry room, put them under lights in mid-February, and move the seedlings outside to harden off two months after starting. Three of the twelve plants (that's only 50% successful germination...) went in to the ground the first weekend in April and I've now got two small tomatoes, about the size of olives. I'll keep my progress posted to this thread.
joebolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #18
joebolin
Tomatovillian™

Just an update on my SuperSauce plants, which I started from seed in late January. The plants are very small (two feet tall), although bushy. They have clusters of fruit, but none are even close to five inches long or wide; most are larger than the Amish Paste tomatoes I grew last year, though. I have picked two, both about the size of a large plum tomato. These are very meaty tomatoes with few seeds and almost no juicy bits, so they probably do make a good sauce. I'll hopefully know in about a month, when the rest ripen. Overall, a disappointment from the germination rate (50%) to the successful plant stage (I have nine plants left from 12 seedlings set out from 25 seeds in the packet). I would not ever use this hybrid again.
joebolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2015   #19
JoParrott

This is my 2nd year with Super Sauce- very disappointing- last year no tomatoes at all, this year small plants that seem too weak to support themselves, and not even any flowers yet.
Old June 28, 2015   #20
Ricemo
Tomatovillian™

I'm in the market to try a different sauce tomato , San Marzanos start off good for me but die off from diseases , I think I'll try a couple next year
Ricemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #21
drew51
Tomatovillian™

So many pastes exists it's always easy to try new ones. Also the ribbed tomatoes (Costoluto) make good sauce tomatoes. Not as meaty, you need more, but a good sauce. this year I'm trying Costoluto Di Parma and Costoluto Fiorentino. So far as far as plant growth, pretty impressive, good fruit set.
For pastes I'm trying
Amos Coli, Cow's Tit, Romeo, and Opalka.

I was going to try Super Sauce this year too, but none of the seeds germinated.
All tomatoes mentioned work well depending on where you are. All are good, but I need to find what works for me, in my location, in my growing conditions.
So far Amos Coli and the Costoluto tomatoes are growing well, and setting lot's of fruit. All are setting fruit, i will report more later in the season. I have found pastes can be hard to start. Easily can get off course with bad weather , cold temps, sun burn, wind etc. Once they reach a certain size and temps are better, they do well. Whereas other tomaotes seem to thrive no matter what.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2015   #22
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
So many pastes exists it's always easy to try new ones. Also the ribbed tomatoes (Costoluto) make good sauce tomatoes. Not as meaty, you need more, but a good sauce. this year I'm trying Costoluto Di Parma and Costoluto Fiorentino. So far as far as plant growth, pretty impressive, good fruit set.
For pastes I'm trying
Amos Coli, Cow's Tit, Romeo, and Opalka.

I was going to try Super Sauce this year too, but none of the seeds germinated.
All tomatoes mentioned work well depending on where you are. All are good, but I need to find what works for me, in my location, in my growing conditions.
So far Amos Coli and the Costoluto tomatoes are growing well, and setting lot's of fruit. All are setting fruit, i will report more later in the season. I have found pastes can be hard to start. Easily can get off course with bad weather , cold temps, sun burn, wind etc. Once they reach a certain size and temps are better, they do well. Whereas other tomaotes seem to thrive no matter what.
How did Costoluto Fiorentino do for you this year? I have seeds from one of the TV member. Never grew it. Were they good for sause only? How was the production?
Thanks, drew51.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2015   #23
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
How did Costoluto Fiorentino do for you this year? I have seeds from one of the TV member. Never grew it. Were they good for sause only? How was the production?
Thanks, drew51.

I had two plants. One did OK, and tomatoes could be used for other purposes. Taste was like old fashion tomato flavor, a good balance of acid and sugar.The plants was supposed to yield large tomatoes, but most were rather small.
I also grew Costoluto di Parma, and those had better production. Overall I was not impressed with Fiorentino. I think it needs a warmer area to grow to full potential.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2015   #24
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Drew51.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote