Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 24, 2013   #1
Schufrei
Tomatovillian™

Default Too much of a good thing

This is only my second year of veggie gardening, and last year I wasn't very happy with my seed-starting results, and the final products were only so-so. This year, I wanted to try a bunch of tomato varieties to see what did the best and what I liked the most, and make those my standards going forward. So I got carried away at sampleseeds.com and ordered 17 varieties (don't even ask about the peppers and everything else!). I have room for... um... 17 tomato plants. I was nervous about germination, so I planted 4 seeds of each. Now I'm happy (sort of) to report that I got almost 100 percent germination. So I have 40-plus seedlings in danger of being homeless. It's breaking my heart! Of course I've been asking everyone I know if they'd like some plants, but only received a few half-hearted OKs. So my question is: Does anyone have any creative ideas for unloading unneeded plants?
Schufrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2013   #2
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

Maybe try an ad on Craigslist? I think if you listed them for 1.00 each, they would go pretty fast.
clkingtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2013   #3
Tom A To
Tomatovillian™

Garden club in your area? Donate them.

Audios, Tomatoville. Posted my final post and time to move on.
Tom A To is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2013   #4
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

A lemonade stand in the front yard manned by the kids and giving away a free tomato plant with every glass of lemonade?? or a free glass of lemonade for every tomato plant sold? Whichever works best!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2013   #5
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Maybe donate them to your local high school green house.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2013   #6
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Have a give away... Friends, neighbors, community garden

Be sure to hold on to a couple extras for early replacement of plants that might develop issues.
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2013   #7
kath
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes local food pantries and senior citizen centers will take them.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2013   #8
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Welcome from S Florida.Does your avatar mean shoe free as in barefoot?Anyways I take the Johnny Appleseed approach and have access to a lot of open space and ground and plant a lot of strays, extras,runts,old seeds in the wild to encourage natural selection and hopefully some free natural bounty sometime down the road.So far when we airboat in the Everglades I have seen some results over the years.But I do keep in mind no invasive,foreign species that will harm our local fauna,species and enviornment.
Old April 25, 2013   #9
EarlyStarter
Tomatovillian™

Fill your gutters with dirt. Lay the stalks down lengthwise in the gutters and bury to build good roots. Just hose down your roof 24 times or so a day to water and you should be golden.

I kid, I kid.

I go overboard every year and give away about 100+ plants on craigslist, to community gardens in the area, etc. I also tend to dig a bunch of last minute holes in random spots for any that I am still left with.
EarlyStarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2013   #10
Rideau Rambler
Tomatovillian™

Do you have freecycle or a kijiji or a facebook gardening group for your area? I would do a google search for "free stuff" for your area and see what sites pop up. I am in the same situation but I have found a gardening club annual sale and a freecycle plant swap, fortunately.
If only we had bigger gardens, sigh
Rideau Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2013   #11
Schufrei
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks, everybody

Thanks for all the good ideas -- and for making me feel better that I'm not the only one whose eyes are bigger than their garden.

Oh, and schufrei is a shortened version of my crazy-long last name, which means Free of Debt. Which must have applied to some ancestor, but definitely not to me!
Schufrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2013   #12
lycomania
Tomatovillian™

Well, I'm PA Deutsch and I imagine so are you! lol
lycomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013   #13
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

I'm having the same 'problem' and called the vet center and they agreed to take some--I'm also going to call the food bank and see if if they want some to give away. None of my tomato/peppers will be homeless, NEVER!
Sunsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013   #14
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Schufrei, my last name has 13 letters. How many in yours?
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013   #15
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I take them to church, label them well, put them in the foyer with a sign saying donate $2 to the church for every plant you take, and this has worked splendidly. Some new gardeners got hooked on tomatoes that way.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote