Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 13, 2013   #1
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Default How far Plastic Bag Germination Before Seeding

Two attempts at germinating Cherokee Purple in seed starter and no takers so I started a batch in a coffee filter in a plastic bag.Never used this method before. I'm just starting to see a pinhead size white point poking out at the seed tip. How far along should I let it go before moving to seed starter? This is my last chance for Cherokee Purple this season so I don't want to blow it by not waiting long enough or waiting too long.

Thanks
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2013   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

You can do it now or wait a few days for the radicle to grow a little more. No harm either way.
The only thing not to do is touch the radicle when moving it. I use a pair of tweezers and grab it gently by the seed coat.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2013   #3
bcday
Tomatovillian™

I would do it now. It's easiest for me when the radicle is the shortest, less chance for damage to it. When I use this method, I dip the filter in a cup of water and when the seed floats off, scoop it out with a spoon. Or just gently scrape the seed off the filter right onto the starting mix. I don't take a chance on squeezing the seed with tweezers since the seed coat and the contents are very soft and easily damaged, but do whatever works for you. Make sure the seed starting mix is thoroughly moistened before and after you put the seed in it because if the radicle dries out now it's likely to fail.

Last edited by bcday; April 13, 2013 at 03:12 PM.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2013   #4
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

i prefer to wait until the root is about an inch long or even until the seed pops off and you see the cotyledons.

i have moved them at the stage you're at now and every once in a while they dont emerge from the soil. make sure if you do move now you keep the dome on until the seedling emerges

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2013   #5
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TightenUp View Post
i prefer to wait until the root is about an inch long or even until the seed pops off and you see the cotyledons.

i have moved them at the stage you're at now and every once in a while they dont emerge from the soil. make sure if you do move now you keep the dome on until the seedling emerges
Jeff,
You are doing this on a damp coffee filter? Adding anything?
How do you move it and what do you plant it in?
What's your success rate once the radicle emerges?
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2013   #6
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

i use a paper towel in a plastic bag on my cable box.

i dont think i've ever had a seedling die after potting. i dont use tweezers or anything just my fingers.

every once in a while i have to either tear or cut the paper towel because the root grows into the towel. i just keep a small piece of towel attached and plant it

i take a pencil or something similar and make a hole in the soil and just guide the root in.

this method is fantastic if you have a small quantity of seeds. its too time consuming to use on a large scale.

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2013   #7
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

That's pretty cool. Thanks. Agreed, not a volume play.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2013   #8
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TightenUp View Post
i use a paper towel in a plastic bag on my cable box.

i dont think i've ever had a seedling die after potting. i dont use tweezers or anything just my fingers.

every once in a while i have to either tear or cut the paper towel because the root grows into the towel. i just keep a small piece of towel attached and plant it

i take a pencil or something similar and make a hole in the soil and just guide the root in.

this method is fantastic if you have a small quantity of seeds. its too time consuming to use on a large scale.
This is pretty much what I did to sprout 5 sungolds, it worked very well for me and I'm somewhat of a newb. It was a nice, foolproof way for me to get started. Ok, well actually it was 6 sungolds, I accidentally broke one seedling in half because I tried to pry the root out of the paper towel. That's when I learned it was better to cut the paper towel around the root and plant it with the seedling.

Last edited by Vespertino; April 18, 2013 at 02:27 PM.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote