Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 1, 2013   #1
Wayne C
Tomatovillian™

Default Homemade peat pellets... anyone ever

Has anyone had any experience with or info on making peat pellets using potting mix, peat moss, and geletin? From what I've read it SEEMS like a good idea but still I wonder/worry about whether geletin would prove to be a medium for mold/etc. and produce growth medium side effects. There wasnt any info about this sort of thing that I found so I was curious about the experiences and maybe "formulas" concocted by Tomatovillians. So whats the 411? Thanx. Wayne C.
Wayne C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2013   #2
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

I am not sure of the geletin as a "glue" to hold the pellet together, but I have heard of it used as a soil amendment for seedlings. I would worry that geletin used throughout the pellet might harbor bad fungus/bacteria, if not put in the ground quickly. I use soil blocks and they hold together really well just will a little compression and the peat fibers interlock and hold together. Lorri D
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2013   #3
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I use home made paper pots instead. Once you get the knack of cranking them out fast, there is no reason for home made pellets.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2013   #4
kevn357
Tomatovillian™

Please explain.
kevn357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2013   #5
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, 'splain.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2013   #6
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevn357 View Post
Please explain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE5dualiOFw

The link explains it all. You can use a can too, if you don't have a pot maker. Many places sell the potmakers though. Burpee does.

If you want really small jiffy pellet size pots, it is simple enough with a piece of pipe or dowel. Pretty much anything round will work. The size of what you use determines pot size. Make them any size you want.

Once you get the knack of it, it becomes surprisingly fast. The benefits are you recycle, and also paper dissolves and composts quickly in the ground, much faster than peat. If it is above the ground, or just touching soil, paper lasts a while, but under the ground it becomes potato chips for worms! It also forms an efficient wick for bottom watering if you use a self watering system with trays.

All in all they are far superior to jiffy pellets, plastic, peat or coir pots, and are pretty much free too!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2013   #7
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

I've used them before and can attest to the quick breakdown.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2013   #8
kevn357
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE5dualiOFw

The link explains it all. You can use a can too, if you don't have a pot maker. Many places sell the potmakers though. Burpee does.

If you want really small jiffy pellet size pots, it is simple enough with a piece of pipe or dowel. Pretty much anything round will work. The size of what you use determines pot size. Make them any size you want.

Once you get the knack of it, it becomes surprisingly fast. The benefits are you recycle, and also paper dissolves and composts quickly in the ground, much faster than peat. If it is above the ground, or just touching soil, paper lasts a while, but under the ground it becomes potato chips for worms! It also forms an efficient wick for bottom watering if you use a self watering system with trays.

All in all they are far superior to jiffy pellets, plastic, peat or coir pots, and are pretty much free too!
Thanks for the link! I'm going to try this.
kevn357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2013   #9
gggeek
Tomatovillian™

One tip when using paper pots is to make sure you submerge the entire pot under ground when you plant it. If you leave the paper rim exposed it will wick moisture from the soil around the root zone.
Old March 5, 2013   #10
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I made a Round soil blocker out of PVC pipe. It works well but it awkward to use. But i can fit 48 of the 1" diameter size on a cookie sheet and they are great for lettuce and other greens. I would like to have one like in Johnny's catalog.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2013   #11
dudeatlarge
Tomatovillian™

I just use different size tin cans as my form. I have been doing this for many years and it works just fine. Also it is free.
dudeatlarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2013   #12
dice
Tomatovillian™

I found that newspaper pots dry out faster than plastic pots
and wick water away from the mix that the seedling is growing
in. They are a bit like the old terra cotta clay pots this way.
Moisture evaporates from them from all sides instead of only
from the top. So one needs to pay closer attention to watering
and to how fast the seedling is drying out when using them.

When making them, I would stick a square piece of duct tape
or dollar store plastic packing tape on the bottoms to hold them
together until I transplanted into their final locations, then simply
tear off the piece of tape before they go into the planting hole.)