Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old January 19, 2008   #1
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Default Correct names of some tree-types

I am curious as about the correct names for the following:
From what I know, people use the following names
Golden Dwarf Champion
Dwarf Champion Improved
but the after looking at Craig's catalogue scans should we not call them:
Dwarf Golden Champion and
Improved Dwarf Champion.
Any thoughts?

Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2008   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hey Jeff - I think that the various names given to the same varieties are due to different seed companies carrying the same varieties but switching some of the words around.

I will have to go back to see which company released Dwarf Champion. Companies that followed probably did some minor selections, thereby "improving" it- and put the word "Improved" either here or there.

Burpee was the company that released Golden Dwarf or Dwarf Golden Champion, so that should be the standard (I will have to go back and look at my scans or catalogs to see which it was).

At least Dwarf Stone seems to be consistent!

By the way, some of you may have noticed that Livingston released a red fruited tree type named Dwarf Aristocrat, and a yellow one named Dwarf Yellow Prince - neither of which seems to exist by those names (perhaps Dwarf Stone was a selection or improvement or renaming of Artistocrat...and Dwarf Yellow Prince is either the same tomato as or a selection of Golden Dwarf Champion...it would be so great if Livingston's company growing notes were ever discovered or made available, if they indeed still exist!).
Old February 3, 2008   #3
farmergrass
Tomatovillian™

Golden Dwarf Champion was introduced by Burpee in 1898. In their 1899 catalog it is referred to as Dwarf Golden Champion three times and one time as Golden Dwarf Champion which is a bit confusing to say the least. In later years of the Burpee catalogs it is referred to as Golden Dwarf Champion which appears to be the name that stuck.

When Golden Dwarf Champion and Dwarf Champion Improved were collected from the NSSL those were the names they were listed under, which were the names undoubtedly supplied by the original donors. Although the names may not be exactly as they first appeared, it most likely is the names that were being used in the time period the seed were originally donated.
Old February 3, 2008   #4
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Craig, slightly off-topic...

I have ordered those Livingston dwarves from that European genebank. Will keep you, David and Mike posted.

Someone on the forum here has listed Scarlet Champion as Scarlet Champion Rugose. ????
Am I the only who grew out the Scarlet Champion from the USDA seeds you shared? I sent some back to you, yes? I shared with few others, and with only the SC name. Another variety out there or ???

Thanks,
Jennifer