Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old April 5, 2013   #16
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Raspberries are fine, but I have a preference for larger thornless blackberries. We have the variety Navaho. Absolutely huge fruit and the sweetest berry since the wild blackberries I used to eat as a kid growing up in northwest Oregon.
Old April 5, 2013   #17
tedln

Feldon,

I live about 25 miles north of Denton on the north side of Lake Ray Roberts. I'm planting three varieties including the black variety named Jewel. I have no idea what to expect. I will plant them along a fence interspersed with some Yellow Jasmine I planted last summer. Each raspberry will have about six feet of space between the jasmine plants. The soil is very poor nutritionally, but will be augmented with sandy soil and organics to improve it's nutrional value and retain moisture. It has proven to be a very hot spot to grow plants, but if improved with organics, it holds moisture well. I will also add drip irrigation to keep the soil moist but not wet. I don't expect the raspberry plants to perform well, but if they do; I will be using an underutilized space. After the plants start producing new canes, I will mulch them heavily to retain moisture and keep direct sunlight off the soil.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; April 5, 2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old April 5, 2013   #18
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
Feldon,

I live about 25 miles north of Denton on the north side of Lake Ray Roberts. I'm planting three varieties including the black variety named Jewel. I have no idea what to expect. I will plant them along a fence interspersed with some Yellow Jasmine I planted last summer. Each raspberry will have about six feet of space between the jasmine plants. The soil is very poor nutritionally, but will be augmented with sandy soil and organics to improve it's nutrional value and retain moisture. It has proven to be a very hot spot to grow plants, but if improved with organics, it holds moisture well. I will also add drip irrigation to keep the soil moist but not wet. I don't expect the raspberry plants to perform well, but if they do; I will be using an underutilized space. After the plants start producing new canes, I will mulch them heavily to retain moisture and keep direct sunlight off the soil.

Ted
I'm certainly looking forward to your results. If they buried me in black raspberries, I'd just eat my way out.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2013   #19
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
Raspberries are fine, but I have a preference for larger thornless blackberries. We have the variety Navaho. Absolutely huge fruit and the sweetest berry since the wild blackberries I used to eat as a kid growing up in northwest Oregon.
Old April 5, 2013   #20
tedln

Quote:
If the raspberries perform well, I still have a couple of spaces remaining between Jasmine plants for Blackberries.

I planted the Jasmine plants last year for the fragrance. While they are growing well and blooming well, they are not producing any fragrance. Anyone know anything about Jasmine plants? Do they produce more fragrance as the weather warms? If they don't start producing some fragrance, I will yank them out and replace them with Honeysuckle.

Ted
Old April 5, 2013   #21
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
HHHmmmmmmm, Walleye! They taste almost as good as garden fresh tomatoes.

Ted
Aye! My step dad and I run a Perch and Walleye charter on Lake Erie. Good eatin!
Riceloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2013   #22
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I have wild black raspberries all over the place. Every year I find new canes coming up around my yard thanks to the birds lol. Actually, I think it is chipmunks. I have on plant I moved to one side of the house, and tended to last year and the year before. The year before it got a few berries but I never got any. Last year it was loaded with flowers and berries that turned red but were sour. I covered it really well with reemay. The day I knew they would be ready, I went outside, and lo and behold, found a chipmunk stuck like the dickens trying like mad to escape when he saw me. I felt kinda sorry for the little guy, but man, he ate EVERY SINGLE BERRY. It was probably a good size bowl full.

My brother in law gave me a hunk of his grandfather's berry bush, which is bushy, not canes like the wild one. I never got any of those either thanks to the munks. I have to figure out how to keep them out, they are like rats and eat tomatoes too. very big problem here.

Good luck with your Berries Ted!
Old April 5, 2013   #23
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Ted,
as far as I know raspberries like part shade , or sun in the morning until the midday. My grandma had them between the trees. I grow my on the east side of my house. Many varieties of raspberries are invasive.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-la...ies-26668.html

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2013   #24
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

www.fruit.cornell.edu/berry/index.htm

www.fruit.cornell.edu/berry/production/pdfs/rasppruning.pdf

I hope Jewel does well for you. In my garden, Jewel's berries were very large, but the taste was weak. I like Bristol, and really like wild black raspberries, for flavor.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2013   #25
Buzzard II
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks for the info!

Quote:
There are red raspberries, black ones and crosses between the two which have given us purple and gold raspberries. They are perennial. There are summer bearing (fruits one time per year), fall bearing (twice per year...spring and fall) and everbearing. Those that bear fruit once produce as much or more fruit as those that produce twice per year or the everbearing and the berries are larger. They can be thorny and thornless. The growth habit is either trailing (like a fountain) or erect (trellised).

Plant in full sun and can be planted in a wide range of soil types---sandy loam with high organic matter is optimal. Raspberries require good drainage and should be free of wild raspberries as possible for disease control. All wild raspberries are black and are native plants. Raspberries are also indigenous to Asia Minor.

The plants can be purchased in pots or as bare root. Bare root are much cheaper and do well most places. Summer bearing varieties fruit once per year and some popular varieties are: red- Killarney, Latham; black-Cumberland, Jewel; Purple-Brandywine, Royalty. Fall or Everbearing (2 crops/year) Red-Heritage, Autumn Bliss; yellow-Anne, Fallgold.

Raspberries like the soil on the acidic side of 7pH. Lightly fertilize with a balanced fertilizer like 10-10-10. Reds generally like a hedge row with plants 2-3ft apart and a minimum of 8 feet between rows. Blacks and Purples, 3-4 ft apart and 10 ft between rows. Reds produce root suckers, blacks and purples do not.

The planting holes should be large enough so that the bare roots can be spread out. Potted plant holes should be 1 1/2 times the size of the pot. Plant no deeper than the original planting depth or to the original collar on the plant. Firm the soil around the plant so it is in upright position (it will grow the direction it is planted). Water in well forcing out water pockets. They need 1.5 inches of water per week all season.

Pruning is complicated and is an entire topic all its own. Harvest is possible the second year, but it is better to wait until the third. Pinch off blooms the first year for sure and the second if you can wait. If not, enjoy. The first year's canes are called primocanes (vegetative) and the second year canes are the floricanes (fruiting canes).

The fruit is very fragile and should be picked into a flat shallow bowl and refrigerated immediately or they will begin to lose shape and turn to juice.

More than you ever wanted to know I am sure...sorry.
Not too much info for me! Glad I read this! Thanks! Bob
Buzzard II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2013   #26
Buzzard II
Tomatovillian™

Default Chipmunk problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
I have wild black raspberries all over the place. Every year I find new canes coming up around my yard thanks to the birds lol. Actually, I think it is chipmunks. I have on plant I moved to one side of the house, and tended to last year and the year before. The year before it got a few berries but I never got any. Last year it was loaded with flowers and berries that turned red but were sour. I covered it really well with reemay. The day I knew they would be ready, I went outside, and lo and behold, found a chipmunk stuck like the dickens trying like mad to escape when he saw me. I felt kinda sorry for the little guy, but man, he ate EVERY SINGLE BERRY. It was probably a good size bowl full.

My brother in law gave me a hunk of his grandfather's berry bush, which is bushy, not canes like the wild one. I never got any of those either thanks to the munks. I have to figure out how to keep them out, they are like rats and eat tomatoes too. very big problem here.

Good luck with your Berries Ted!
Trap the little rodents in a Hav-A-Hart trap, then "relocate" them.
Buzzard II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2013   #27
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Wild black raspberries are amazing and the best part is that I don't have to do anything to them, they just grow!

I have a patch of sweet tasting peach-coloured raspberries that I bought at a plant sale. I also have a large red variety that isn't as sweet as the peach. They all produced a lot of fruit the year before last, so last year I thought I'd better prune them (in the spring). The info that I found said to remove every branch that had fruited the previous year. I did that and had NOTHING left!!!!! However, they eventually grew back and gave me a little fruit very late in the fall. I am scared to try that method of pruning again!!!! I think it's probably better if I just leave them alone.

Linda (who is better at growing tomatoes than raspberries)
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2013   #28
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The black ones have always been easier for my family to grow than the red.

I would really like to have a high tunnel of raspberries. Market growers in Missouri are doing it with success.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2014   #29
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Wondering if the varieties (wild or cultivated) that are grown in the U.S. carry worms (actually they're maggots...) like is common in Finland? The usual procedure when picking raspberries (whatever the color) is to check to see if the fruit has been 'taken' i.e., occupied by a little fellow... Usually it's enough just to shake them off, sometimes the insides have been all eaten up.
Every little child knows that with raspberries one has to be vigilant. (at least that was the case when I was growing up... )

Do American gardeners like to spray their bushes?

Sorry if I sound too gross I trust that people at TomatoVille are accustomed to nature and not too delicate about certain things.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2014   #30
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Wondering if the varieties (wild or cultivated) that are grown in the U.S. carry worms (actually they're maggots...) like is common in Finland? The usual procedure when picking raspberries (whatever the color) is to check to see if the fruit has been 'taken' i.e., occupied by a little fellow... Usually it's enough just to shake them off, sometimes the insides have been all eaten up.
Every little child knows that with raspberries one has to be vigilant. (at least that was the case when I was growing up... )

Do American gardeners like to spray their bushes?

Sorry if I sound too gross I trust that people at TomatoVille are accustomed to nature and not too delicate about certain things.
Sampling harvested berries to detect spotted wing Drosophila larvae infestations | MSU Extension

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?DIPMP Sampling harvested berries to detect spotted wing Drosophila larvae infestations

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?SFZUE
Spotted Wing Drosophila: A New Threat To Tender Fruit And Berry Crops. Completely destroys bush berries. Nobody wants maggots in fruit.

This Spotted Wing Drosophila has been detected near me. I haven't encountered it yet, but consider it a serious potential threat.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote