Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old January 14, 2020   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Broccoli Sideshoots and Cauliflower

We've had a couple more inches of rain in the past several days so the open areas at the bottom of the garden are swamped again. It's a good thing they won't be needed until April.

Meanwhile, the eight Packman broccoli plants are putting out lots of side shoots. This morning I cut 15 ounces of them, just shy of a pound.

The second set of cauliflowers are about ready. I cut one of them today as it looked like it wanted to start opening up instead of being nice and tight. The other three aren't far behind but they're all smaller than the first four, being maybe 5-5.5" wide. Next fall I think I'll set them out in four sets of two, ten days apart.

The scallion, basil and Red Robin seeds have all popped up and are under the lights. Tomorrow the six arugula sets will be transplanted into a window box and will live out on the front porch.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2020   #2
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

i gotta stop looking at your posts.

the only things growing here are the snow banks. can't see over them any more when
driving. now, we do the neck stretching, as we slooowwwwly get the nose of the car past
the snow bank to make sure we don't get smucked by oncoming traffic.

keith
Old January 16, 2020   #3
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

If he posts pic of Romanesco, I'm going off the deep end.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2020   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It is a good idea to stagger your plantings of broccoli,cauliflower, and cabbage down here from fall through winter. I planted more broccoli today and still have a few more that I will plant in another week or two when I pull more of my first planting that is still making side shoots. My second planting is a week or two away from having heads ready to cut.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2020   #5
imp
Tomatovillian™

I am going to try broccoli amd cauliflower again. I have a couple types and will see how I do with them. Ya'll are so tempting me, LOL!!!
Old January 23, 2020   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I am going to try broccoli amd cauliflower again. I have a couple types and will see how I do with them. Ya'll are so tempting me, LOL!!!
I have had really good luck with Gypsy and Arcadia the last two years. Gypsy usually makes the larger main head but Arcadia is a side shoot marvel. Sometimes the side shoots on Arcadia can be almost as large as the main head and a few times I have actually gotten side shoots even larger than the main head. I am trying another one this year called Green Magic but I planted it later and don't know how it will do yet.

I usually have good luck with Snow Crown hybrid cauliflower and for really large cauliflower I always plant a few Bishops. Bishop takes anywhere from a week longer to 10 days to make but the heads can be enormous.

Bill
Old January 24, 2020   #7
imp
Tomatovillian™

One of the ways I like cauliflower is roasted "steaks" with butter and montreal steak seasoning on them, so a bigger head would be good for that, thanks for the tips!
Old January 24, 2020   #8
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
One of the ways I like cauliflower is roasted "steaks" with butter and montreal steak seasoning on them, so a bigger head would be good for that, thanks for the tips!
I don't even eat them cooked anymore since I started making a sour cream dill dip. It is so good on cauliflower and also with carrots and young tight headed broccoli. The main ingredients are sour cream, mayonnaise, a lot of dried dill weed, and some dry Hidden Valley Ranch dressing. It is then doctored with a bit of Worcestershire sauce, dried mustard powder, and salt and pepper to taste. The trick is getting the right balance of dill weed in the sour cream. Once you get enough to taste it really good then add the other ingredients to taste. The dill flavor will intensify after it has been refrigerated over night so if it isn't strong enough the next day then just add more. Don't be stingy with the dill!

Bill
Old January 24, 2020   #9
imp
Tomatovillian™

Ohhhh, that dip sounds very good and I do love nibbley things. And I love Ranch home made, even with stick pretzels.
Old February 5, 2020   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Started picking my second planting of broccoli this week and so far have gotten 10 very nice large heads off Gypsy. From looking at the plants I should start picking Arcadia this weekend or early next week. My third planting of broccoli is starting to put on very small heads but it will be a few weeks before it will be ready. I even have a fourth and fifth planting of broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage but I may be sick of all of them by then or need the room before they are ready. I know I way over planted this year but I had the plants that I started myself and it didn't cost much to just go ahead and set them out so I did. I guess if a hard freeze doesn't hit in the next few weeks I will be giving a lot away. We have never found a way to freeze broccoli so it is not mushy when thawed and cooked. If someone knows how I would love to hear about their method.

Bill