Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old March 10, 2012   #61
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28 View Post
hey rockporter

Let me know how it works out for you. If I end up doing it, I will let you know how it worked for me as well.

Jennifer
That sounds great, I don't know if I can convince the group here to implement the wicking bed design although I am really trying...
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2012   #62
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Hey Rockporter! Kind of like a large scale EarthBox as it were! Speaking of EBs, Jennifer do you use any of their products or programs in the classroom?
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2012   #63
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Linda,

I dont use the EarthBoxes. I could... but I am really weird about throwing things away (can you say, organized hoarder?) The only two things that combat my hoarding habit are my desire and liking of symmetry and neatness and the idea of giving my things to someone who will use them - which is why I give away so many seeds here on tomatoville.com. I will probably list in the SSE catalog next year too, but I don't like charging people for seeds.

I have found too many other containers to grow things in both indoors and out at the school. I am thinking of writing some more grants this year for our garden and I might write one for the Earthboxes. They look really wonderful - I have been eyeing them for the past year on gardeningwithkids.org. So maybe we will try them. Thank you for putting that idea back in my mind!
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2012   #64
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Sun City Linda, Large EB for sure but with using less expensive dirt in it too. I think in the end it would be much more cost effective than a bunch of EB's to take up the same space. I am very interested in that design.
Old March 11, 2012   #65
MileHighGuy
Tomatovillian™

This is awesome. I'm building my first Earthtainer right now and plan on growing some tomatoes in it for comparison and to test for winter growing methods in a greenhouse.

The cost to build an army of these would be insane and the idea of a supersized earth box is exciting.

I know that some people bury pipes with small holes in them for aeration of the root zone... and that could possibly emulate an earth box but on a larger scale.... hmmmm....
MileHighGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2012   #66
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I've done all the research for getting hold of a proper liner for the wicking bed if anyone is interested?
Old March 11, 2012   #67
janezee
Tomatovillian™

do tell, rockporter, do tell! Is it pond liner?
j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2012   #68
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

I am interested but maybe you can put it in a new thread?
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2012   #69
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Yep, I'm interested too.

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2012   #70
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

LOL, here is the info on liners-I have already confirmed the info for agriculture use with their customer service. You must get the agriculture defined plastic sheeting. This sheeting comes in lots of different widths, the links are for 8' but I see it also comes in 14' wide too. The thicker the liner the better.

This company has the black poly linked here
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...0736&catid=748

and clear(translucent) poly, also linked here
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...0732&catid=748

You can use a Koi pond liner if you have one, those liners are also food safe.

I also wanted to post an informational site on the different plastics available and the differences about what is food safe and what isn't. I was very confused on what type of liner was correct to use in the wicking bed design until I found this site.
http://www.rollitup.org/dwc-bubblepo...nightmare.html

Last edited by Rockporter; March 14, 2012 at 04:10 AM. Reason: new link added
Old March 14, 2012   #71
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Lightbulb Maybe a new thread Jennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28 View Post
I am interested but maybe you can put it in a new thread?
Hi Jennifer, I brought up this design to MileHighGuy because he was asking for ideas on pots and such and then raised beds and water use came up so the best answer for me to his problem was the wicking bed design. I haven't built one yet and am still trying to get the community garden on board to build at least one or two of them for comparison to our regular raised bed designs.

I think I will wait for a thread on it when I can get them on board and the work has begun, otherwise, there isn't much more to tell about them since all I know about them I have already posted here.

I am also thinking your idea of another thread would be good because there just might be someone out there in TV that has actually built one and is using the design. It also might get someone on board to build the beds, he he.
I'll ponder that thought for a bit, thanks Jennifer.
Old March 29, 2012   #72
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Bump, just wondering if there was any new progress on this project???

~Margaret Atwood~

Old April 8, 2012   #73
MileHighGuy
Tomatovillian™

I built a small greenhouse for my seedlings and they are all loving it.

I'm using a roots organics 707 Soil and feeding with a vegan Grow nutrient very lightly.

I'm continually popping seeds and have about 100 tomato seedlings doing well.

Within the next two weeks I'll have about 300-400 and soon I'll have over 500.

My soil test results will come back very soon and I'm excited to see what I'm going to need to ammend.

The last frost out here is around May 25th so I still have some time, but that time is passing quickly.

Once the Soil Test results are in, I'll be purchasing 25-50 yards of top soil and organics according to the results. Then I'll be tilling it in like crazy.

Once the Tilling is complete I'll be making the rows and then building the fence.

I believe that I will be able to use my irrigation water to flood the tomato rows accordingly. The location I'll be planting is slightly sloped and I'll start the water at the top and the middle to get complete coverage... before I start I'll have some local farmers to my house to give some proper advice.... but one thing at a time!

So far all the seeds are sprouting within 3-5 days and doing really well.

I'm currently brewing a compost tea that always helps them grow stonger and faster and they will get their first dose in about 2 days.

That is all for now!
MileHighGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012   #74
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Bro, what I havent seen much of is this... I wish you well, good luck and all the best.

Mine are ready for market in a couple weeks, I am taking a different path, but poke around, you will find clients, and just one more thing...

Plan to work your a** off about 15 days a week...

Good Luck!
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012   #75
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

any update on this?
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote