Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 1, 2012   #1
gryffin
Tomatovillian™

Default 15 year old seed - beginner's luck!

I just finished a germination test on some Kotlas seed that I purchased for the 1997 season from Johnny's. I was thrilled to get 90% germination! I didn't expect success, but didn't want to dispose of the seed without trying. I'll plant out this year and save fresh seed.

I had similar good luck with a packet of radishes and a packet of melons from the same year. The lettuce however was a complete failure. I'm continuing through my old seed collection, testing a few varieties at a time as I make my grow list for 2012.

Just wanted to share as no one in my "normal life" shares my enthusiasm.
gryffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2012   #2
dott22
Tomatovillian™

Hey that's great! I've also had pretty good luck with old tomato seeds.

It's funny you also mention radish seeds. I haven't bought or planted radishes for quite a few years. I planted a batch of Bright Lights swiss chard a few weeks back and somehow had a radish come up along with the chard. The radish must have been 5 or more years old, perhaps as old as 10 years -- and the Lord only knows how they got in there. But, it sprouted...
dott22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2012   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear you are having such great germination after all. Last year I used up the last of the Space spinach that I'd ordered in bulk from Johnny's in 1998 that had been stored in a jar in the basement. It certainly pays to try out old seed before tossing it just because of the date on the package.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote