Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old March 10, 2019   #16
MdTNGrdner

Dee, are those Split Second?
Old March 10, 2019   #17
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I don't remember the name they had at the time I ordered them from, I think, Park seeds. But they do look just like the ones now called Split Second. I see Burpee has a ruffled pink that they call Cotton Candy, I wonder if that's just a rename. They both say a range of 4-7 ft vines, which is what mine were.

A wonderful source for 14 different varieties of morning glories is Swallowtail Garden Seeds. I also like their snapdragons.

Last edited by ddsack; March 10, 2019 at 05:07 PM.
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2019   #18
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Flying Saucer

I saw this and had to have it! I'll be planting some containers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0311191843.jpg (195.1 KB, 137 views)
Old March 11, 2019   #19
PlainJane

Can’t wait to see pictures!
Old March 11, 2019   #20
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I have mixed emotions about Morning Glory's. They are beautiful and they draw in all kinds of pollinators. They even seem to catch the eyes of the migrating hummingbirds that pass thru here. Now that's the up side.

But there is also a dark side. They get into my garden and choke out my beans and then they attack my staked up tomatoes and if I let them, they'll kill my tomato plants. They seem to want any high points in the garden and, so, they dominate the tops of stakes and any other supports for the other things being grown.

I was down in the garden area today and was pulling the last of the 6' stakes I use. Of the 150 or so stakes, and even though I cut them out all season long, there were 63 that had old dead vines from the Morning Glory "invaders" wrapped around and choking the poles. They are pretty. They are colorful. And they are fragrant. But for me, they are mostly a pain in the a$$. They might make reasonable compost if I throw in enough bovine droppings.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; March 11, 2019 at 08:59 PM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2019   #21
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default The Germination Queen!

Four days ago I planted two hanging baskets of Grandpa Ott. Already they are up! Today I'll rough up the seed coats of the Flying Saucer seeds I bought two days ago, soak them overnight in water, and sow them tomorrow.

I had plans to sow zinnia seeds today, but it's very overcast and drizzly. Maybe if there's a break in the rain........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0313190818.jpg (319.1 KB, 131 views)
Old April 5, 2019   #22
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Grandpa Ott

These plants are from the seeds I sowed earlier this year. I'm hoping the vines grow up into an old Bradford pear tree. I also planted some baskets of Flying Saucer and Glacier Star.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0405190853.jpg (382.9 KB, 117 views)
Old April 5, 2019   #23
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Donna, what a great idea! I never thought of growing them up a tree.

Old April 5, 2019   #24
Longlake
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Good idea on the sandpaper, I'll remember to try that! I've soaked mine other years, but still get poor emergence sometimes. I've never grown in baskets or pots, just in ground onto a trellis. Last year a rabbit kept nipping a couple of the vines above ground level. They would grow back but too late to set flowers. As I recall, we had a frost just before the blossoms were ready to open last year, so I never saw flowers. Here in the north I have to get them in the ground early or they won't bloom before September.This is from a previous more successful year.

I'm in your neck of the woods, Dee, and Heavenly Blue is always 'iffy'. Most years it doesn't bloom profusely until September, and we all know what happens then. So I have a mix of varieties, and Grandpa Ott's is always the first to bloom. Next up are the pinks, and the grand finale is the beautiful blue of HB...in those perfect years when it blooms well. Like the look of that double pink you have, very pretty. Happy gardening!
Old April 6, 2019   #25
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Longlake! I have tried a few other mixes of Morning Glories over the years, but keep coming back to Heavenly Blue. There are just so few really true blue flowers of any species to enjoy, it's worth the wait for me.

Old April 6, 2019   #26
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
I have mixed emotions about Morning Glory's. They are beautiful and they draw in all kinds of pollinators. They even seem to catch the eyes of the migrating hummingbirds that pass thru here. Now that's the up side.

But there is also a dark side. They get into my garden and choke out my beans and then they attack my staked up tomatoes and if I let them, they'll kill my tomato plants. They seem to want any high points in the garden and, so, they dominate the tops of stakes and any other supports for the other things being grown.

I was down in the garden area today and was pulling the last of the 6' stakes I use. Of the 150 or so stakes, and even though I cut them out all season long, there were 63 that had old dead vines from the Morning Glory "invaders" wrapped around and choking the poles. They are pretty. They are colorful. And they are fragrant. But for me, they are mostly a pain in the a$$. They might make reasonable compost if I throw in enough bovine droppings.
They are so pretty but I'll just enjoy seeing the photos on this thread. Ted, you're right about it wrapping around everything. The farmers around here call it "bindweed" for good reason. Any time I see seedlings or young plants anywhere near the garden I pull them out but there are always a few that manage to get missed, bloom and make more weeding work for the next year.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2019   #27
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Grandpa Ott

Seeds planted in hanging baskets on March 8th. Yesterday I had blooms in both Grandpa Ott baskets. I like the red streaks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0420191449.jpg (361.6 KB, 90 views)
Old April 20, 2019   #28
PlainJane

Those look fantastic!
Old April 20, 2019   #29
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

So pretty. It just glows!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2019   #30
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default At my local nursery

I took this photo today. This particular nursery is in a very natural environment. They look like Grandpa Ott to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0430190924.jpg (638.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 0430190925_HDR.jpg (495.5 KB, 61 views)