Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old July 21, 2019   #1
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Default Mitoyo fruits not growing bigger..?

This is the first time I've grown Mitoyos from seed, based on positive reviews here. Well, the plants were impressively lush with large leaves and sturdy stems. However the fruits are just not growing any bigger than they were over a month ago. They are still small but I decided to eat one and it was so bitter and hard I realized it wasn't ripe yet. I planted these out in late March. Could spider mites be the problem? There is no huge infestation, just a little but enough to affect the leaves. I've been spraying the new growth with water daily and also wiping them manually so its not bad now.

The other Japanese eggplants growing right next to them (all eggplants in Earthboxes by the way) were purchased as seedlings way later and are also slightly affected by mites but they are producing bonkers. I believe they are Millionaires.

If the Mitoyos don't grow bigger or ripen I don't know if I'll bother growing them next year. Is it normal for this variety to take so long to ripen? They are also not as productive as the ones I am used to, the elongated Japanese varieties. I have grown Kamo and they were more productive than the Mitoyos with similar shaped fruits.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2019   #2
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

I'm getting very mixed results with my eggplant this year. Commented to my wife yesterday that they all appear to be smaller than last - but producing good. That includes Mitoyo.

We've had brutally hot, sunny weather with a good bit of rain. Not sure how much this weather accounts for my results.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2019   #3
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Hmmmm, I don't think weather is a factor here. We've had many overcast days with cooler temps than normal but that hasn't affected the other eggplants at all. I took another look at the Mitoyos today, most are rock hard fruits no bigger than a large ping pong ball if that. Only like 3 fruits per plant. I have 6 plants of this variety in Earthboxes w/ fresh medium in full sun just like my other eggplants.
Old July 22, 2019   #4
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I notice some varieties, apparently because of high nitrogen, will delay fruit growth by quite some time. So it can just sit there for a long time and not grow (should be very small though, like usually not visible from under the calyx).
Or it could just be unpollinated fruit that forms sometimes (again, nitrogen balance has a role) just like with tomatoes mostly in early season, that is just a very small fruit.

Was the fruit shiny or somewhat dull? That should clear up it's age, if it's anything like Kamo, which loses shininess quite early.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2019   #5
ac21686
Tomatovillian™

I've grown somewhere around 50-60 Mitoyo plants and I've literally NEVER had a bitter one off any of those, even at larger sizes. Pictured is the size I typically picked them at and they were always delicious. I'm no expert, but it sounds like they were stunted for whatever reason and you left it too long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40582711_10103419780150071_6953317615729115136_n.jpg (101.6 KB, 60 views)
ac21686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2019   #6
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Whoa those are beautiful! Yeah I don't what happened to mine, 2 Earthboxes wasted this time but at least I have 2 more ERs filled with the other variety and they are just producing so many right now I am harvesting more than we can eat ourselves so I'll have to give some away.
I'll give up on the Mitoyos now and try again next year.