Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 29, 2018   #406
ckw346
Tomatovillian™

Default THE BIG RIPOFF

Went over to their web site to check prices on tomato seed. the prices seen reasonable but there is no seed count , only on pelletized seed. everything that I saw was by weight. I don't know nor care how many seeds make a dram. trying to order scion seeds and rootstock seeds to get my supplies in for grafting. don't think I will order from these rip offs, free shipping or not.
ckw346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2018   #407
ckw346
Tomatovillian™

guess I need to mention what website/ Ferrymorse.com
Old December 29, 2018   #408
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

CKW:

I've used Ferry-Morse seeds for years. They've always had good germination rates and have been true to the description. I can also source them locally.

I did some clicking and you are right - I couldn't find a seed count. Not sure this make F/M a big ripoff though IMO.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2018   #409
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Regarding weight count:

Several well reputed companies use a weight count (in grams), particularly for bulk orders as a standard. For seeds that are small like dust particles it wouldn't be practical to count each spec. Grams is a universal measure of mass which represents accurately what you are buying.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2018   #410
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

whenever I've seen the weight in grams for a small packet's worth of seed, I've also seen them tell you there are approx. x-number of seeds per gram.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2018   #411
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Default Bunny Hop Seeds Sale

Ellie, (Bunny Hop Seeds) is having a “Hoppy” New Year sale at Heritage Seed Market. Use the coupon code HOPPY2019 to receive 20% off on all Bunny Hop Seeds (including her vast collection of micro dwarfs), from now until midnight January 2. NOTE: Discount does not apply to seeds from Heritage Tomato Seed or Muddy Bucket Farm. Watch for new listings to appear in time for New Year’s Day!
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2019   #412
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

Free regular shipping at Vertiloom from now through January 13th, with the code: 'FREE SHIPPING'.

One of my favorite sources. Great selection of unusual tomatoes (also peppers), including woolly varieties & Tom Wagner creations.

https://www.vertiloom.com
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2019   #413
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

HARRIS SEEDS/Garden Trends
https://www.gardentrends.com/?utm_so...58826417744162

Save 15% on seed starting supplies including heat mats, grow lights, seeders, plant labels, soilless mix, thermometers and more Hurry, sale ends 01/14/19!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2019   #414
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Regarding weight count:

Several well reputed companies use a weight count (in grams), particularly for bulk orders as a standard. For seeds that are small like dust particles it wouldn't be practical to count each spec. Grams is a universal measure of mass which represents accurately what you are buying.

- Lisa
Impulse buys of Burpee American Flag Leek (at your suggestion, fingers crossed about bolting Nan) and two Lavenders from Botanical Interests were both sold by the gram, not by the seed. I would imagine that since these are machine processed by weight, any human intervention in counting small seed quantities would drive the price even higher.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2019   #415
ckw346
Tomatovillian™

seed count was what is missing. have been searching for rootstock seed . and have seen the price from 77 cents down to 29 cents. without knowing something to reference to , I have no way of knowing how much or how many. a rip-off, intentional or otherwise is still a rip-off.
sorry
charlie
Old January 12, 2019   #416
MI Farmer
Tomatovillian™

A M Leonard (supplies) has free shipping through January 16th.
MI Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2019   #417
agee12
Tomatovillian™

^ I ordered perlite and vermiculite from A.M. Leonard last year, https://www.amleo.com/soilless-mix/c/P04E/pgsize/All/. The prices are higher this year than last but still pretty good deals. Also there was some kind of restriction when it comes to the shipping, I think mine weighed too much and I had to remove something from the order, so when you place the order be sure to confirm that it is free shipping, and / or if customer service contacts you and states they need to change the order, make sure you understand if it will change the cost.

In the end I was satisfied with my order but just giving a heads up to anyone ordering that you need to be attentive.
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2019   #418
MI Farmer
Tomatovillian™

I agree, agee. I ordered perlite from them just last year for $14.99. Coupled with free shipping, I thought that was a deal. This year it's $24.99/bag! Guess I'll be looking elsewhere for my perlite needs...
MI Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2019   #419
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Default Park Seed 10 seed packets for 10 dollars

Park Seed 10 seed packets for 10 dollars

https://parkseed.com/category.aspx?s...ze=all&filter=
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2019   #420
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee12 View Post
^ I ordered perlite and vermiculite from A.M. Leonard last year, https://www.amleo.com/soilless-mix/c/P04E/pgsize/All/. The prices are higher this year than last but still pretty good deals. Also there was some kind of restriction when it comes to the shipping, I think mine weighed too much and I had to remove something from the order, so when you place the order be sure to confirm that it is free shipping, and / or if customer service contacts you and states they need to change the order, make sure you understand if it will change the cost.

In the end I was satisfied with my order but just giving a heads up to anyone ordering that you need to be attentive.

Am Leonard cuts off the free shipping at 85lbs, check the product weight below the add to cart tab on the right.

I too did notice the perlite is more this year, I'm glad I have 2 extra bags left for future use.

I love the potting soil price with free shipping, that's hard to beat locally here.