Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old February 25, 2019   #1
Jeanus
Tomatovillian™

Default Other diseases that effect tomatoes

Last year I got wiped out with a disease that started as dark green spots all over the tomatoes that then turned black. There seemed to be a few more on the bottom but the tops would get them on new leaves also. Found out it could be a rose disease black spot. New never gardened area, plenty of mulch under neath. One tomato got it in the middle of the drive way. The only plant I saved I pulled under the eves. Anyone else have this or seen it. My merrygold plants got it also and some of the other flowers so not tomato specific.
Jeanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2019   #2
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanus View Post
Last year I got wiped out with a disease that started as dark green spots all over the tomatoes that then turned black. There seemed to be a few more on the bottom but the tops would get them on new leaves also. Found out it could be a rose disease black spot. New never gardened area, plenty of mulch under neath. One tomato got it in the middle of the drive way. The only plant I saved I pulled under the eves. Anyone else have this or seen it. My merrygold plants got it also and some of the other flowers so not tomato specific.

My garden has started exhibiting a few different types of fungal diseases which so far only effect the tomato plants. I've always had some powdery mildew on my cucurbits. It usually is most prevalent in cool, humid weather the mildew is controllable. The tomato fungus's are more difficult to treat. This year, I will try some "Actinovate" which is supposed to be very effective on soil born fungus's. It is pretty expensive, but a little goes a long way. Since it is a biologic product, it is also very safe to use in an edible garden.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2019   #3
Jeanus
Tomatovillian™

Thanks I will look into that. I thought I was so careful last year and got wiped out. The only one that survived I pulled into a porch, it did not get enough sun but enough to get a few ripe tomatoes.
Jeanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2019   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanus View Post
Thanks I will look into that. I thought I was so careful last year and got wiped out. The only one that survived I pulled into a porch, it did not get enough sun but enough to get a few ripe tomatoes.
Try spraying your plants with a copper spray it seems to help slow down or prevent many of those type issues.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2023   #5
cwavec
Tomatovillian™

And use a spreader-sticker for a large increase in efectiveness of copper. I've had a lot of experience,
mostly favorable, with this material. It comes in many brands but any worth
having will show the composition on the outside of the package, usually on the back
(10% copper octanoate).

Since this became available in the late nineties, recommended strength has changed
a lot. Beginning at 2 oz. per gallon of water, most uses are now at or below 1 oz.

With a spreader-sticker on tomatoes, more than about 1/2 oz. per gallon can be
phytotoxic.

Over time, I have concluded that this product is equally effective at lower doses. Most
of the time these days, I use no more than 10-12 ml/gal WITH a spreader-sticker.
Measuring such small quantities with a spoon is messy, so I use a syringe and
needle. Don't worry; this wouldn't be a needle useful in any illicit purpose.
Amazon has them in great variety. Choose a 14 or even 12 gauge needle as both
the copper concentrate and the s-s may be pretty viscous.

And one more hint. It isn't always very effective by itself so use it in alternation
with another product for best results.
cwavec is offline   Reply With Quote