Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old August 14, 2008   #16
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

Hi, didn't know that they were 'black eyed peas' but someone gave me a few 'cow peas'. I grew them this year and they were terrific. Loved our hot summer and tolerated the lack of rain. I am watering them now for a second crop.

What I found out was that one can eat the young leaves like spinach, eat the young pods like 'snap beans', do all sorts as mentioned here with the mature peas.

One other thing, they are beans, not peas.

I have a lot of land and not much time so next year it will be a cover crop to keep down weeds, use the land and make use of the nitrogen in the roots.
phreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2008   #17
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing White Acre this year and I am amazed at how easy it is to grow these things! The plants are so happy and healthy and I have put forth almost no effort with these field peas. I plan to start picking this weekend and I'm going to make that lady pea and tomato salad in the recipe section.