Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 18, 2006   #1
veggiecanner
Tomatovillian™

Default circular florecent bulbs

Can the circular florecent bulbs be used as grow lights. i have some 100 watt and a 138 watt day light bulb. what kind of area will they cover and about how high over the plants do i hang them?
Old March 19, 2006   #2
sliphorn
Tomatovillian™

Yes they'll work. The lights should be just a few inches above the seedlings.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2006   #3
Dunkel
Tomatovillian™

Are they full spectrum bulbs? If not you can use 1 warm white and 1 cool white that will give you close to full spectrum.

What the country needs is dirtier fingernails and cleaner minds. - Will Rogers
Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2006   #4
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

I agree with sliphorn. No reason they won’t work. When you keep the light only a few inches above the plants, which sliphorn recommends and I agree with, the area covered will only be a few inches more than the size of the bulb itself.

While it would be great if you had full spectrum bulbs or a combination like Dunkel suggests I’m not sure how important that is. I use the standard 48” tubes and buy what ever is on sale when I need them. I don’t even know if they are cool white, warm white or hot white. All I know is they put out light.
Old March 19, 2006   #5
sliphorn
Tomatovillian™

My lighting set up is a hodge-podge of wacky floro type bulbs. I have one f18t8 strip in an aquarium light fixture, and two brooder clamp lamps that are designed to use 250w incandescent bulbs. But instead of using incandescents I use the spiral type of floro's that are designed to be used in an incandescent fixture. Both of them are 42w but throw out the same amount of light as a 200w incandescent. So between the 3 I have plenty of light and the seedlings do great.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote