Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 31, 2014   #31
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

I am growing Tarasenko 6 in a 20-gallon Smart Pot...loaded with green ones similar in appearance to those in the photos at the beginning of the thread...can't wait to try one.
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2014   #32
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Okay, I was complaining about how I didn't like Tarasenko 6, but now I'm pretty sure I don't have the correct seeds. I got them in last year's Mystery Swap. Sigh. Mine is quite prolific, but is producing 4-6 oz round, red fruit with smooth shoulders and a mild, bland taste. Now, I need to find the correct seeds. I'll add it to the growing list! Here's a photo of what I'm getting:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tarasenko6-not.jpg (244.6 KB, 231 views)
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2014   #33
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Robin, I also got T6 seeds in the swap, and one of my three plants is producing fruit like yours. The other two have fruits about the same shape, size, and flavor, but the color is almost a dark bronze. Pretty, unique looking, but without good flavor, what's the point?
Old September 1, 2014   #34
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Robin and Farmer Shawn, I also grew T6's from the swap and got what I would call medium-sized "black" tomatoes with medium taste. Such a pity as I was expecting great things from this variety. Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2014   #35
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Ami's seed packet picture says in cyrillic that it is a hybrid. Think that may be why you all are getting off types?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2014   #36
creister
Tomatovillian™

So is it a hybrid, or OP? Or has it been dehybridized?
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2014   #37
bower
Tomatovillian™

Wow I will weigh in with those who grew "Tarasenko 6" from last year's mystery swap and ended up with the wrong fruit. Mine was a medium large, round, very pale pink fruit with exceedingly bland taste. Friends of mine grew an extra "T6" plant which looked more like it's supposed to, but what's the point of saving seeds from that, when there's obviously an F2 level of crosses going on here - and with something very lacking in flavour. I mean, you cannot get a pink F1 cross from a red parent - nor a black one either. Someone had to save seeds from an F1 crossed parent to get such a mixup - unless they came from a rubbish container of random seeds. I hope no one who found a red fruit has saved it as 'Tarasenko 6'.

I was very sad about this one.....
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2014   #38
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by creister View Post
So is it a hybrid, or OP? Or has it been dehybridized?

From what I've read, the true Tarasenko 6 is an OP tomato.

As for those who got something else from seeds labeled "Tarasenko 6," who knows?
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2014   #39
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Tarasanko6 is OP. I remember some discussion about the package that said hybrid and remember it was not a problem, but cant remember the details.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2014   #40
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Tarasanko6 is OP. I remember some discussion about the package that said hybrid and remember it was not a problem, but cant remember the details.
Wish I could see that thread. Going to search now....

Found it! http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=22179
Andrey says they called things hybrids when they really had no idea what a hybrid was.
Old September 8, 2014   #41
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

hahaha, I was just going to post words to that effect Ginger as while I was going to sleep last night I remembered! Good detective work!
Old September 8, 2014   #42
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Tania gave me permission to post this PM response from her, about the use of the word hybrid,
[quote]Hi Marsha,

I have updated the page at Tatiana's TOMATObase to clarify and include the Russian description. All 'hybrid Tarasenko' tomatoes are open pollinated. There is no doubt about it.

Cheers,
Tatiana
Posted by ginger2778
Hi Tania,
I can read a little Cyrillic, so I read the package of seeds in the Tarasenko 6 thread, and it says Hybrid Tarasenko 6. People in that thread are getting lots of different segregants from swap seeds(tormato 2013 swap). Your wiki seems to have it as OP, so I was hoping you could take a look at the package of seeds, and with your knowledge too, post whether it was probably crossed seed, or whether it is a hybrid. Many are wondering in that thread.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ight=Tarasenko
Start with post #16 where it shows Amideutch's package of seeds.[quote]
Old September 10, 2014   #43
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

None of the seeds in the swap were my saved seed. I was sent a bulk pack of several hundred seeds and split them up. This sounds like several tomatoes were saved, increasing the chance of crossed seed being included.

But, looking at my old notes (about 2005-2007) I found two different types of fruit. One was red and a smooth, globe of about 6-9 ounces. The other was red and somewhat of a pleated beefsteak up to a pound. My original seed was from Andrey through a trade with someone else. I hope Andrey can say what the real T6 should be.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2014   #44
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

My seed grew fairly smooth, occasionally somewhat oblong globes, not pleated. Seed came from Tedln two. maybe three years ago. I loved it!
Old September 10, 2014   #45
bluebonnets
Tomatovillian™

I sent Tarasenko 6 seeds into the swap last year. I did not send them in bulk but in small plastic zip locks with white card stock labels inside.

I received seeds the year before from Ostara in The Netherlands in a trade at another forum. I grew a couple but lost most of everything in a late freeze. The one remaining plant produced very well. Tasty red beefsteaks in abundance. I thought all was as it should be. If those were from me, I apologize and need to know because I will toss the seeds I have left.
bluebonnets is offline   Reply With Quote