Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old August 31, 2014   #16
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Mold on the surface of the soil is often just a sign of overly moist conditions. Why the tin foil walls? I suppose to reflect light but I think it closes them in too much and it must be very hot inside the tinfoil tunnel setup. I would remove the foil, keep the lights 2 inches above the tops of the plants and water from the bottom allowing the surface to be slightly dry before re-watering. Cant see the mold or your plants so hopefully they do OK. As a northerner, I don't understand the need for artificial light for seed starting in Florida in the summer. The best light there is natural light if you have it. The only reason I use lights is because I have no choice. If I had the option, I would use the sun.
KarenO
When I would start seed in the late summer in AZ, it would either fail to germinate or quickly shrivel and die in the heat, even in shade. I used my light setup more in the summer than winter. In winter I would take the plants out in the day and bring back in at bedtime.
The whole growing season is almost upside down in the far south.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2014   #17
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Jealous of your two seasons up here in the north. Enjoy, I hope your fall garden is great. A little air circulation and careful watering will help reduce any mold or chance of damping off. best wishes,
KO
The bad thing with two seasons, at least in AZ, is that those two seasons can be terribly short. Sometimes, I would have freeze warnings until mid-March and then 100-110 degree heat starting early May. By June many of the tomatoes are done and they simply won't set fruit. Even more frustrating is that when the warmer nights start and it's over 105 during the day tha fruits that already set just stop maturing and refuse to ripen. I've heard the ripening enzymes are deactivated in extreme heat.
My husband talked to our son this morning. It was 9am and already 111 in the shade. Yuck!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2014   #18
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
Question, if you use Pro Mix HP or BX are you adding in additional CRF's? I used grow bags with pro mix hp and added some extra lime and CRF. The large compressed bag of pro mix here in Montreal 3.8 cubic feet is $28.
I never use a controlled release fert, because They say specifically not to in the manufacturer instructions from Earthbox.
Also, I may be wrong about this( wouldn't be the first time!) but I like an organic fert. And I don't think the CRFs are.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote