Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old September 8, 2014   #16
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
Nikos with Fedco Seeds thinks that the Golden Greek seed that's most commonly available has been messed up by wholesalers somewhere along the way...

I hope we'll get around to doing a pepperoncini trial someday, would love to find a variety that does well here in Virginia.
Very interesting!

I thought it was strange that all seed vendors who offer it only show pic of green fruit, and never mention the 'final' color.

I finally tasted the orange one. It is mildly hot. The size and shape is more consistent with what I thought pepperoncini should look like.

It is very strange that out of the entire seed packet, there is only one plant producing orange fruits. Every other one is producing larger red sweet peppers. The red fruits are double in size compared to the orange ones.

Here is the pic of the orange fruit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00011 (9).JPG (139.2 KB, 128 views)

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2014   #17
bower
Tomatovillian™

Wow Tania, those are absolutely beautiful!!
Do you think it's crossed seed? I've never seen an orange pepperoncini, but I've liked every orange pepper that I've tried so far. That one has simply gorgeous colour!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2014   #18
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Wow Tania, those are absolutely beautiful!!
Do you think it's crossed seed? I've never seen an orange pepperoncini, but I've liked every orange pepper that I've tried so far. That one has simply gorgeous colour!
I have no idea if this is a cross, or the real thing. I agree that it is beautiful

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2014   #19
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Now that it's winter and I'm thinking of what we can try next year...

Any other pepperoncini varieties folks have grown that they like?
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2014   #20
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Back over 10 years ago when I was more into hot peppers than tomatoes, I tried finding a decent pepperoncini variety. That was back when not nearly as many varieties or venders were around.

But of 3 or 4 varieties I grew, none of them were like those pickeled we get in the stores. BUT they were all pale green to start and then yellow green and eventually ?? yellow I think. Not sure as it's been too long ago now but I DON'T remember any red.

I do believe the Golden Greek has been messed up from the original. I did grow it when it first came out and it was not really any different that any of the other pepperoncinis at that time. Besides the color, they weren't as long and slender as your reds. More like some of the smaller orange ones but larger than what you get in the jars.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2014   #21
spacetogrow
Tomatovillian™

In response to Ken B...

I grew Stavros Pepperoncini in 2013. It was spicier than I expected but only about the same as Hungarian Hot Wax.

I grew Pepperoncini Italian in 2014. It was barely spicy at all.

I liked both of them. Both were quite productive compared to most other peppers I was also growing. Both had pods that started out pale green/yellowish and ripened to red. The Stavros especially had more yellowish pods before they were ripe.

Tania, good luck on your search.
spacetogrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2014   #22
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

spacetogrow, where did you get seeds from?

Reading more about pepperoncini, Wikipedia has this entry -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peperoncini -- with this quote: "While called peperoncini in American English, peppers of this particular kind, in Italy, are called peperone (plural peperoni) like other sweet varieties of peppers, while the term peperoncini (singular peperoncino) is used for hotter varieties of chili peppers.The Greek varieties are sweeter and less bitter than the Italian varieties grown in Tuscany. Peperoncini are mild with a slight heat and a hint of bitterness, and are commonly pickled and sold packaged in jars."

Seeds from Italy has a couple varieties -- http://www.growitalian.com/categorie...ables/Peppers/ -- Peperone Dolce Bergamo and Peperone Friggitello -- that look interesting.

Will have to see if there's a "Seeds from Greece" type company out there!
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2014   #23
spacetogrow
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ken B,

I got both types from a Tomato/Pepper swap that Heather MacDonald used to host (bless her heart). I used the same names that were on the packs that I got.
spacetogrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #24
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Italian pepperoncini before and this year I am growing Greek version.
Pepperoncinis are usually harvested green and tender for salads, grilling and pickling. Red ripe ones are good for drying too. But I grow so many different one for drying . So I harvest them green
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote