Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 28, 2014   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Tomato Disease?

I made a thread in the Photo Gallery called, "Is this a disease" I should have made the thread here instead.

Details:
I took these pictures this morning.
It rained 10 days ago (A inch) and the tomato plants started looking like the pictures below.
I water in the evening and try not to get the leaves wet.
I feed every two weeks with miracle grow liquefied plant food.
I'm near DFW, Texas and temps have been around 100F.
I put shade over the plants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0055.JPG (67.7 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0056.JPG (63.0 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0057.JPG (73.8 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0058.JPG (88.2 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0059.JPG (78.8 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0060.JPG (73.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0063.JPG (97.6 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0062.JPG (71.2 KB, 128 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2014   #2
snugglekitten
BANNED

Here is a tomato disease identification link: http://gardening.about.com/od/vegeta...toProblems.htm

verticillium wilt possibly?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verticillium_wilt

https://www.google.pl/search?q=VERTI...=isch&imgdii=_

Last edited by snugglekitten; August 28, 2014 at 03:17 PM.
snugglekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2014   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Salt I call it the summer plague.★

I have no idea what the real name is.
What I do is keep amputating the things untill it goes away or the plant dies.
And I only do it if I have tomatoes on the plant or if they are smaller fruited types like cherry tomates.

I dont waste my time trying to pull a plant through till fall otherwise.★
By the way no worries about posting pictures on the other areas to ask questions or show off.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2014   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Salt I call it the summer plague.★

I have no idea what the real name is.
What I do is keep amputating the things untill it goes away or the plant dies.
And I only do it if I have tomatoes on the plant or if they are smaller fruited types like cherry tomates.

I dont waste my time trying to pull a plant through till fall otherwise.★
By the way no worries about posting pictures on the other areas to ask questions or show off.
Worth
Worth, as you know I suggested moving his disease picture to this Forum, since most of the picturesin the Photo Gallery are showoff or documenation type threads and I thought that his question would get more attention here, than there so no worries at all on his part I'm sure for I was just trying to help,

Carolyn
Old August 29, 2014   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Carolyn, it did help. I finally figured out what you meant in a different thread about what kind of tomato diseases are more likely to happen where I live. Tomorrow, I will email pictures to our local Ag person of the county I live in asking what my pictures might mean. I will ask him what kinds of tomato diseases are most likely to happen in this county. However, I live .5 miles from a southern county, so I should probably ask that county ag person as well.

Worth, yeah, my spring planted tomatoes looked like the pictures but much worse when the 95+ temperatures arrived.

This is my first year at attempting a fall garden, and as I have written here before at Tomatoville - you don't see any fall gardens near where I live. I understand why. You have to provide shade here, lots of costly water, and a lot of creative work to keep the plants alive.

Like posting pictures in the photo part of this site made sense to me - I didn't think about posting in this part. I also have discredited our agriculture......I'm thinking, Agent or commissioner? um

Sometimes the Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy pain is so bad that I cannot function correctly. Even my thoughts are so basic that I feel ashamed. The past few days have been like that.

I know, too much info.

I'm trying to function the best I can, and gardening has proven to help a lot more than pain meds did. The above pictures are from plants I want to save if I can. I did not take pictures of the healthy tomato plants, nor did I take pictures of the , "Old German" plants that look so awful I need to pull them up.

SnuggleKitten, (Very cool nickname) Yes, it does look like verticillium wilt - but without the wilt part. The tomatoes are not affected as you can see in the pictures. In Texas, we nod at someone we give respect to. I saw your first post... nods.

Thank you all for your replies.
Old August 29, 2014   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Worth, as you know I suggested moving his disease picture to this Forum, since most of the picturesin the Photo Gallery are showoff or documenation type threads and I thought that his question would get more attention here, than there so no worries at all on his part I'm sure for I was just trying to help,

Carolyn
Carolyn you just beat me to it is all.

Salt just keep on trukin you are a cool dude.

Worth
Old August 29, 2014   #7
snugglekitten
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post

SnuggleKitten, (Very cool nickname) Yes, it does look like verticillium wilt - but without the wilt part. The tomatoes are not affected as you can see in the pictures. In Texas, we nod at someone we give respect to. I saw your first post... nods.

Thank you all for your replies.

It can get it without the wilt, seriously, poorly named disease maybe.
snugglekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2014   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Salt,
I will post this here as opposed to the other twin thread where you said you valued my input.
First I would like to thank you.

But I have to tell you that some of the conversations that go on here totally baffle me.
Trying to figure out what kind of disease something has or the goings on about genes and so forth I have no interest in.
Since I have no interest I have no desire to learn.
This is a horrible trait to have but it is just the way I am.
This trait has caused me to have a rather eclectic knowledge about things.
A hodgepodge would be more like it.

What I am is an observer and experimenter.
Some of our greatest discovery's were made by people that have no taught knowledge about things.
Therefore they weren't told it wouldn't work or in another term no pre- conceived notions.
Loosely these are called paradigms.
What they cause is called a paradigm shift.

That is where I am coming in with my advice I give.
It is simply years of doing and thinking things on my own and mentally recording the outcome.

I even experiment on people at work without them knowing it.
I have to do this because it is in my nature; (as mentioned by someone else here) to fix things.
I make comments and record their actions.
By knowing what their reaction is I can pick up on their personality.
By knowing their personality I can get along with them better and get them to do things they wouldn't otherwise do for other people.

What does this have to do with here and this thread?
When I give advice I sometimes cant explain why it works it simply works.
When I told you in another thread to mix in some decomposed granite it is because of an observation.
Granite is made up of many different types of minerals, as it breaks down these minerals are made available to the plants.
The term mix was used so it would be mixed in the soil.
If it is applied in a layer it will become like concrete.
My observation was when I used some along my driveway for my agave and cacti.
Everything else exploded with growth.
The observation on the amputation is this.
Much of this stuff that infects plants is basically not curable.
To stop the spread the only choice is to amputate or segregate.
The sooner the better.
You see a little leaf with something on it pick it off.
You see a gall on a bush or tree cut it off dont wait as there is nothing you can do.

Here is my advice for a healthy plant.
Put out seedlings.
Cut off all lower leaves and branches that hit the ground.
As the plant grows keep cutting these troublesome leaves and branches.
Never and I mean never allow water to splash dirt on the leaves.
Always water from a trench soaker hose or drip system.
If leaves do get soil on them water from above and wash it off in the morning before the sun gets too strong.
If the leaves as said above get spots or something on them cut away.
By doing this I haven't used anything on my plants in a very long time.

My next experiment will be to use natural toxins repellants to run off insects I dont want.
What I wont do is use oleander juice.
If I were to use this stuff it would kill anyone who ate the tomato.
My idea is to make the insect think it is a plant they dont like.
I never see a stink bug on my rosemary so maybe I could spray my tomato plants with an extract of it.
I honestly think that nature provides us with a brain and the animals and plants to utilize for our needs.
We dont need chemical plants to do it for us with poisons that kill off everything including us.
We dont even need them to kill anything we just need something to repel them.
Bugs and plants do it to each other all of the time.

Bugs and other pests are attracted by sight and smell.
We could work it both ways.
We could repel the pests and attract them to something else.

Just a few thoughts and explanations.

Worth
Old September 1, 2014   #9
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Worth,

While the pain level I'm living with right now is still 7 or above, I do understand what you wrote above. First section I can relate to. I love music of every kind, but when others try to tell me what a cord or fret or whatever is - I politely pay attention but have no clue as to what they are saying. Honestly, I mostly don't care. I'm a music listener and I'm happy just listening.

As for experimenting with people at work. I can again compare to a point. I was the son who was expected to get the best results from myself and those my father employed. Most workers were rally good at certain things. Some were really good and fast at doing more difficult jobs, where others were talented at laying bricks fast and accurately (As in on a straight wall.) The ones good at laying brick/stone on a bay window, quoin corners, fireplace fronts, etc. did those jobs. The ones good at laying brick fast built the walls. There were even exceptions where I asked labors to build simple steps because I knew they could. I made sure it reflected in their checks.

Before I go on replying to this:

I do not think of it as, "High Jacking" a thread when any of us go off topic on any of my original posted threads. Mostly, when people go somewhat off topic, they are writing from their innermost thoughts or in an other generalized way of putting it - they are writing from their heart. We only live once - share it so we can, get opinions, and politely agree or disagree.

About cutting those leaves and small branches. I'm going to give it a try. Many have written to do the same. T

The splash up, I use leaves, but I'm thinking I should buy some organic mulch to put at the base of the tomato plants instead. Of course, here in Texas, I will not use the plastic mulches because the soil starts to warm here earlier than in most of the US and Canada. In summer, walking on bare soil here is like walking on the beach in Galveston. It will actually burn your feet until you have blisters. I wish I had a ground thermometer to show you all just how hot the soil gets here from July - Mid-September.

As for natural toxins, I have used home aerated brewed bull nettle tea, and garlic infused tea. I am wondering about brewing up tea made from marigold flowers. or maybe a combination of all three?

Until this year, I did not have problems with diseases or whatever with tomatoes. Before this year, I only grew a spring garden. Even with that said, I still had to remove spring garden tomato plants this year, and one variety last year. First to go was the Yellow Pear tomatoes both years. Yellow Pear tomatoes are those that just about every tomato site's members say they hate most. Tasteless, poor plants, will catch every disease possible - written in so many forums it isn't funny. I guess I'm just stubborn, I believe someone will make a hybrid that will be disease resistant and Yellow Pear tomatoes will be as popular as they once were. Well, I'm at least hoping so.

I used copy instead of quote here. I left this out for last:

Worth: "When I told you in another thread to mix in some decomposed granite it is because of an observation.
Granite is made up of many different types of minerals, as it breaks down these minerals are made available to the plants."

When my pain levels drop to 5 or less, I will be able to articulate my thinking, words, and be able to provide details much easier. Most importantly, I'll be able to read and process what you guys write in reply. I am going to write a topic on using rock dust in the garden. It will be filled with questions, facts, and professional knowledge others may not know about. I am going to post it in the general discussions area even though it would probably fit better in some other place in Tomatoville. There's a reason why there are over 10,000 threads in general discussion.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; September 1, 2014 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Typos, errors, etc..