Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 31, 2017   #46
Raiquee
Tomatovillian™

Don't be worried about disrupting them. I plant seedlings in a carpet fashion and once they get one set of true leaves, I'm busting those little groups up and I'm not a delicate butterfly about it. I plant out around 100 tomatoes each year. Just pop them out of the pots and holding them by their leaves (yes leaves, don't hold by stem. They can regrow leaves, not stems) try and get some excess dirt off the roots and place in new mix. Bury their stems a bit so they create more roots. Tomatoes LOVE to be transplanted!

Lower you lights, repot them (and bury the stems to counteract the tallness) and give 'em some food. Those soil-less mixes have no nutrition in them, so if you haven't supplemented I would. And if you have, make sure you keep doing it as those mixes don't usually have a lot to "hold" stuff in.

Hope it helps
Old March 31, 2017   #47
MissS
Tomatovillian™

If you are a little squeamish about this, then just pop the plants out of the cell, hold them by the dirt ball and dip them into a container of warm water. Gently swish them around until most of the soil has fallen off. Then just gently pull them apart. Plant them with the stem 1/2 deeper than it was before.
Old March 31, 2017   #48
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

OK, I'm really considering doing this. I found pro mix at a local store, and I'm thinking about using that to replace my light warrior. Is it safe to try and transplant the tiny eggplant and peppers too?
ARgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #49
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Yes. Go ahead. Let's see how they do in the new medium.
Old March 31, 2017   #50
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I did forget to say that you should water them in with a mild fertilizer solution. You should also keep them in a low light situation for the first day after transplanting while they adjust to their new envirionment.

Good Luck! They should perk up pretty quickly.
Old April 1, 2017   #51
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I vote for temps, too. My trays of potted up seedlings usually grow fastest in the middle of the tray, and slowest on the outside. My guess is that warmer is better, up to a point.

Also, the slant of the tray matters - if it is not level, some pots get more water than others.

I am sure there are dozens of variables.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2017   #52
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

I went out and bought a bag of pro mix BX. I haven't opened it yet, but I'm considering it. If I change the soil, what I will do is take the seedlings out and add the pro mix to the trays in the photo and then add the seedlings back.

Last night whenever I decided to try and water the trays, I poked around at things a bit with a toothpick. The fox form like warrior, when dry, is very clumpy and almost brick like... I'm thinking that this has a lot to do with my problems. I let things dry out significantly before watering again, so this cycle of watering and then drying to the point of being like a brick is likely restricting the roots and growth… Just what I think.
Old April 1, 2017   #53
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Why are my seedlings so small?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
I vote for temps, too.
It was his comment below that steered me towards a temp issue. Roots seem to be doing just fine, it's the top growth that seems a bit lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARgardener View Post

The root development seems to be going... I've got roots coming out of the bottom of the trays and such. Not sure.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2017   #54
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I went out and bought a bag of pro mix BX. I haven't opened it yet, but I'm considering it. If I change the soil, what I will do is take the seedlings out and add the pro mix to the trays in the photo and then add the seedlings back.

Last night whenever I decided to try and water the trays, I poked around at things a bit with a toothpick. The fox form like warrior, when dry, is very clumpy and almost brick like... I'm thinking that this has a lot to do with my problems. I let things dry out significantly before watering again, so this cycle of watering and then drying to the point of being like a brick is likely restricting the roots and growth… Just what I think.

Okay, now it's looking like a combination of temps and lack of water. The mix for seedlings that young should be kept evenly moist. Add in temps up to 90 and you've got a desert environment going!

Whichever plan of action you decide on, I hope you find a way to get them on the right track.
Old April 1, 2017   #55
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Okay, now it's looking like a combination of temps and lack of water. The mix for seedlings that young should be kept evenly moist. Add in temps up to 90 and you've got a desert environment going!

Whichever plan of action you decide on, I hope you find a way to get them on the right track.
In case you haven't noticed- I am just full of mistakes here!

Last edited by ARgardener; April 1, 2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old April 1, 2017   #56
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
In case you haven't noticed- I am just full of mistakes here!

Not mistakes, just learning opportunities.

And trust me, we've all been there!
Old April 1, 2017   #57
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Not mistakes, just learning opportunities.

And trust me, we've all been there!
I always just heard people talk about not keeping this all too wet and I've always been a bit paranoid about damping off. I believe that this mix will still work just fine, as long as I can keep it moist, so as of right now I do not plan on changing out the soil. I think that may just add unneeded stress to the stunted seedlings. Hopefully by correcting conditions, these little guys will see some improvement. I'm just hoping that they can turn things around in time.
Old April 1, 2017   #58
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Why are my seedlings so small?!

Quote:
I always just heard people talk about not keeping this all too wet and I've always been a bit paranoid about damping off. I believe that this mix will still work just fine, as long as I can keep it moist, so as of right now I do not plan on changing out the soil. I think that may just add unneeded stress to the stunted seedlings. Hopefully by correcting conditions, these little guys will see some improvement. I'm just hoping that they can turn things around in time.

I hope so too. And don't forget to give them some diluted fertilizer. They're at a piont where they need a bit of food.
Old April 1, 2017   #59
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I hope so too. And don't forget to give them some diluted fertilizer. They're at a piont where they need a bit of food.
I certainly will. Hope they like fish
Old April 1, 2017   #60
Raiquee
Tomatovillian™

AR don't get discouraged, none of us was born knowing what plants like

And as you can tell by our answers, it not as easy to say one thing for sure. It's usually a trail of several things before we find the one that works!