Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 20, 2015   #1
JetStar1
Tomatovillian™

Default Should I be worried?

I have planted from seed for a number of years. This winter, I decided to try grafting. I received some rootstock for Christmas and decided that I should practice before "go" time. I set the seeds on New Year's Day, grafted ~ three weeks later. Although I lost a few, the plants that did take looked pretty good, until I transplanted them. Shortly after the transplant, the lower leaves started to turn yellow (see picture)

The scion seed came from my recent harvest and while I did spray (daconil) as a preventative measure. The plants that these seeds came from did not appear to have any issues. My rootstock was purchased, so I am assuming it was disease free. The transplanting potting mix was previously used in my flower boxes. I am using 6500K fluorescent lights @ 16 hours each day in my basement.

I am trying to determine if I should be concerned, or if this is a nutrient issue. I don't normally keep my seedlings this ling before they are in their permanent homes. This was just a test run, but any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1959.JPG (242.7 KB, 116 views)
JetStar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2015   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It looks nutrient-related to me. It could be caused by a lot of different problems, though. I have had plants look similar when their mix got too mucky and the roots didn't grow well, especially in cooler weather. You might try more perlite in your mix, or less frequent waterings, or maybe raise your temperature if it is cool. The pythium bacteria that cause root rot like it cool, wet, and mucky. And rotten roots will express themselves as nutrient deficiencies. I can't tell for sure if that's your problem; just food for thought. Good luck with them.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2015   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The lowest branch turning yellow. The same happened to nine of mine. I started introducing MG plant food at 10% recommended rate a few days ago, and then a 50% rate today (Bottom watering) Three plants lost that bottom (Tiny) branch, and the other six are looking better. It seems that they are hungry.

It's my first year of growing from seed, but so far, this is working for me.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; February 20, 2015 at 11:00 PM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2015   #4
maf
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a nutrient issue. Using second hand potting mix from your flower boxes will not have helped.
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2015   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Is that a jiffy pellet showing? I would take it back out, cut off all the lower leaves and replant it, in new potting soil so that all of the stem is buried up to the top leaves. Wait one week then fertilize. They will take off.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2015   #6
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

If he does that won't the scion potentially root thereby negating the benefit of grafting onto different rootstock? At the very least the peat pot shouldn't be exposed to the air.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2015   #7
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

I think the coating of the peat pellet should either be removed, or at the very least ripped. That fiber-type cover over the pellet does not degrade well; and, in my experience, it can slow root growth and spread. Peat pellets used to come with more of a net cover that tore easily, but that fiber cover looks a lot like weed paper, and it does not degrade or rip as easily. I use peat pots to start some of my tomatoes and lots of my flowers, but I never leave the cover intact when transplanting.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2015   #8
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I'm not a grafter, but why would roots coming from the scion, in addition to the rootstock roots be a negative thing? Either that or could you graft onto a longer rootstock stem?
KO

Last edited by KarenO; February 21, 2015 at 02:42 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2015   #9
frdlturner
Tomatovillian™

the reason that roots would form from the scion is that any part of the tomato stems that are in the soil will root.. Say the plant is 12 in tall and you transplanted it you would bury the plant all the way up to the bottom of the top leaves that way the part buried would produce roots and then give you a better plant.
frdlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2015   #10
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Good job! You got this far!
Would agree with it being a nutrient / uptake issue.
Could be the peat pot, could be an issue with the graft.
Repot, check and fix any root bound issues. Feed if there isn't any food in there.

As to burying the graft or not - it only matters if you are grafting to combat soil issues.
If the scion is allowed to root, it has no resistance to what you are trying to combat so the plant is more susceptible.
If you are only grafting to improve vigor, the more roots the merrier, scion or rootstock.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2015   #11
JetStar1
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone for the help. This was just a test plant and isn't going to make it into my garden anyway. I was most concerned with the yellowing leaves. When I start my real plants, I'll take some of the advice on here. Cutting the fiber net, using fresh potting mix and burying the plant a little deeper. Not too deep so the scion doesn't send out roots. This would lose the disease resistance that the rootstock is supposed to provide.

After the MMMM and a few SASE swaps, I am itching to go. Come on spring!
Old February 21, 2015   #12
JetStar1
Tomatovillian™

@JamesL - Thanks for the comment. I will be planting in a small garden (with disease issues) and EarthBoxes. I hadn't thought about being able to plant deep in my EBs, where soil borne diseases are not an issue.