Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old April 26, 2013   #46
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I am trying to understand what the difficulty is. I have found gardenias easy to propogate and easy to grow. The variety I have isn't one of the fancier ones, but it is quite smelly and grows very large.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2013   #47
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I can't plant in the ground, HOA rules.
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2013   #48
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

And I thought my HOA was strict for banning chickens!

I have successfully sent at least six gardenias to the grave. After I gave up on the last one, it looked ridiculously bad (down to brown leafy sticks) for months.

Now, everything around it is wilty and crispy, and it looks like it's flourishing. I'm going to continue ignoring it.

Tl
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2013   #49
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Sorry Deb!

I have two different types of gardenias in pots waiting to go in the ground this year. I have lots of mostly shaded places. Infact, the beds infront of my house are North facing.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2013   #50
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I finally dragged mine to a shadier location last weekend. The edges of the leaves were crisping and browning, and you know what that means--the Beginning of The End. So I am prolonging its life a bit but I'm not hopeful. You read articles locally here that gardenias are actually sun-loving plants. I gave it a shot, or two, or ten...different locations. I have the pot on wheels, the only one in my garden, so I can cart it around.
I DID ignore this one, all winter long. It was reasonably healthy looking whenever it caught my eye. But I couldn't stand it anymore. Next time I write here, it will be to announce it's passing.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2013   #51
Deborah

Amazingly, as I watched the trash trucks drive it away, all I thought was, "Good riddance!"
From now on I'll enjoy the fragrance in the nursery, but they are never coming home with me again.
Old April 26, 2013   #52
Deborah

We get Clara Clipboard if we sneak and hose off our cars. Can you believe that the rule is that water cannot run down gutters???
I swear one day I'll see her mopping the rain up. Crazy.
Old April 27, 2013   #53
greentiger87
Tomatovillian™

What do you mean you can't plant in the ground? Like.. anything? I don't even...
greentiger87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2013   #54
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
We get Clara Clipboard if we sneak and hose off our cars. Can you believe that the rule is that water cannot run down gutters???
Time to move.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2013   #55
Deborah

The plantings are all ugly standard type shrubbery and messy heavenly bamboo. Pebbles, no lawn.
My garden is a container garden on the large back patio. AND, get this, if a plant bears fruit or vegetables it must be hidden from view in the back of the house.
Old April 27, 2013   #56
Deborah

I love the idea of edible landscaping, but it would be considered a heinous crime here.
Old April 27, 2013   #57
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I was just on a thread about HOA banning vegtable gardens on another forum. A lot of these HOAs are staffed by a bunch of busy bodies who have no legal or real estate backgrounds. They just seem to make it up as they go along. To be fair, many are volunteer positions. Still, there must be a legal limit to the amount of property rights an HOA can simply take away for "the greater good."

Growing your own food these days is very "in" as well as needed for many, given the economy. I would love to see these types of rules challenged and overturned.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2013   #58
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
WOW

You need a Home Owners REVOLUTION!

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2013   #59
Deborah

The Mallards from their ugly little man made lake poop all over but that's A-OK.
Old April 28, 2013   #60
greentiger87
Tomatovillian™

I actually agree on the hosing of your car thing. I won't bore you with the scientific details though

If they care so much about water not going into the gutter though, they should encourage rain gardens.

Btw, nandina has some medicinal uses.. you should look into it.

I've working on an edible/medicinal/useful garden. Slowly replacing my gosh darnoodley pittosporums with blueberries!
greentiger87 is offline   Reply With Quote