Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 18, 2015   #1
creister
Tomatovillian™

Default Fox Farms Happy Frog

Has anyone used this for potting up tomato seedlings? I was thinking of trying it this year.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2015   #2
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

Yep, I've used it. My area never carried the "Pro-mix", you always hear about, they just carried Sunshine and Foxfarms. It did great, no problems. I especially like the ocean forest mix. Lorri D
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2015   #3
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

I like it and have good results.
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2015   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It has a good reputation. I like Fox Farm's Light Warrior as a seed starting mix.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2015   #5
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I used the fox farm ocean harvest for a couple year with great success. However half way through last year i started noticing a degradation in quality. I started noticing large sticks and rocks in the mix . I used to be a believer in fox farm but now i no longer use their products.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2015   #6
creister
Tomatovillian™

Well,

I think I will try it and see what happens. I still have a week or so before I'll have to start potting up.
Old January 19, 2015   #7
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Last year we mixed Fox Farm's Happy Frog with Roots Organic half and half. The Roots Organic helped with the drainage.

I did notice more small sticks in the mixture than usual, but know they'll be absorbed in the regular garden soil.

Hope to do the same again in the Spring.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2015   #8
ReginaAnn
Tomatovillian™

I have always used Fox Farm but ran out this year. My hydroponics guy recommended Empire Builder so I gave it a shot.

Was not impressed when I started using the bag. Not well mixed, chucks of stuff, and a big rock but I started the seeds anyway.

Bought a bag of Fox Farm from another place and started a second round. Funny thing, the Empire Builder seeds have come up WAY earlier. SO did a side by side test, same seeds, same location on the mat. Empire came up in 3 days, Fox Farm hasn't yet. Interesting.

Anyone using Empire Builder?
ReginaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2015   #9
creister
Tomatovillian™

So far I am very pleased with the results of Happy Frog. Plants are doing very well.