Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 29, 2015   #1
MarcH.
Tomatovillian™

Default Question about light after transplanting seedlings-Update with ?

Ok so I have 12 seedlings and all have the first true leaves and are doing good. They are under a shop light as suggested with proper distance.

After I transplant them into 4 inch pots, they need real light from then on? I'm in Las Vegas and the weather has been pretty good lately at around 65-70 degrees. My windows have tint on them and it blocks some of the sun. Its not like dark tint that you would see on a car just something to block the UV's and not blind us during the summer.

Will the plants do ok in a southern facing window with the tint?

Should I just leave them under the shop light for 16 hrs a day?

Maybe toss em outside for an hour to start and work my way up?

As you can tell I'm new to this whole deal and wanna make sure I get it right.

Last edited by MarcH.; January 31, 2015 at 02:13 AM.
MarcH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I think I would not leave them in the windows due to the tint. My instinct says not enough of the spectrum of light for as long as they need it. I get my best results putting my seedlings with true leaves under natural light, shade first day, then 40 minutes sun, then 80 minutes sun, then 2 hrs, 3, 4, 6, then full all day. This is allowing for no frosty temps of course. IMHO only, but that works for me.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #3
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

I leave my seedlings under shop lights until they are about 5" tall or about 10 days before anticipated plant date, whichever comes first, then begin the hardening off process similar to what Ginger described above. They are usually about 12-14" tall at five weeks from seeding.

TomNJ/VA
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #4
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

After you transplant them into 4" pots, they can be grown in sunlight or artificial light, it doesn't matter which. I'm not sure about the tint on your windows. Like others have mentioned, I would be inclined to say the plants would be happier under lights than in a south facing window. You could always try a couple by the window and see how they are doing after a few days compared to the ones under the lights. If the ones by the window are getting leggy compared to the ones under the lights, under the lights are the way to go. Sometimes when my plants are getting ready to go out in their cold frame I will put them up against the patio door on a sunny day and then back under the lights by late afternoon so they get a long enough 'day'.

You mention about putting them in the sun for an hour and working your way up. If you are referring to hardening off (getting plants accustomed to sunlight, etc.), Ginger's advice is good.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #5
MarcH.
Tomatovillian™

Awesome thanks for the replies. Glad I joined this place.

Will keep them under artificial light for a bit before I get to a good stage to harden them off before our last frost date.
Old January 30, 2015   #6
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Put them outdoors in full sun. leave them overnight unless you expect a freeze.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2015   #7
gregory
Tomatovillian™

I repotted my plants 2 days ago. I raised the shoplights a couple of inches or
so. I had to go out of town today, and will return on Sunday. I was hoping since
I planted them deeply only leaving the leaves exposed that the top growth would
slow down for a few days while it formed new roots. Do you think I am on the
right track.Although it would be to late if they grew a few inches in 2 nights.
Last Saturday they started forming there true leaves. 2 days after that I could have repotted them, but waited for my order from greenhouse megastore.

With yall's experience am I on the right track? Btw the t8 lights are on a mechanical
timer.
Old January 30, 2015   #8
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

M...the darkness of window tint is not the issue. All window tints now reflect UV's to the point of rendering growing in windows useless. Some very old tints might not block that much (rare). Even the new "low E" window glass that most companies manufacture now...do not allow much UV penetration. PS This is generally a good thing for homeowners because drapes, furniture, and carpets are no longer damaged by the sun.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2015   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
M...the darkness of window tint is not the issue. All window tints now reflect UV's to the point of rendering growing in windows useless. Some very old tints might not block that much (rare). Even the new "low E" window glass that most companies manufacture now...do not allow much UV penetration. PS This is generally a good thing for homeowners because drapes, furniture, and carpets are no longer damaged by the sun.
What drapes carpets and furniture?
Useless waste of money if you ask me.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2015   #10
MarcH.
Tomatovillian™

Ok just transplanted them into pots. 15 total. Is that one light sufficient enough with the way they are aligned under there? I could buy another shop light and just hang it right next to the current on my "rig" I'm thinking, if needed.

Tomato obsession is funny. Rigging up shop in a spare bathroom.
Old January 31, 2015   #11
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Your lights look fine for now. You might need/want another light, depending on how big they get before plant out.
Shop in spare bathroom - around here we would think you weird if you didn't.....
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote