Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 29, 2013   #16
Crissyb
Tomatovillian™

I finally got a huge tomato to ripen and it was wonderful! I thought it had a lovely taste, but then I mixed it into my pot of sauce as I needed more tomatoes to finish my recipe. It did remind me of a brandywine tomato (though i havent grown one in awhile because they take Forever to ripen here for me!)
I have a few more ripening so i will try them on a bagel cream cheese sandwich (my ultimate tomato test).
Crissyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2013   #17
BriAnDaren
Tomatovillian™

For us, SNFLA turned out to be mediocre. The tomato lacked sweetness, was a bit sour and generally bland tasting. The flavour did not improve later in the season.
BriAnDaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2013   #18
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

After many years of trialing SNFLA, I've finally had mixed results. The early tomatoes were great. Then after three rain storms in one week the next batch to ripen were almost bland, interiors were mushy and also had puffiness. The late ones returned to having great flavor.

This tomato should not taste sweet. In ideal growing conditions, it, for me, is firm, with a rich tangy flavor. No sweetness, and no tartness.

Filling in the history, thanks to Neil Gillard from Ontario ("retiree" here at T'ville) who saw the J.O. initials and suspected it was Jason Olson from Kansas. He contacted Jason and confirmed that seeds were sent to David Lemasters, and then David sent them to me. Jason's original source was Heirloom Seeds. He still has his original seed pack (Red Brandywine) from 1999.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2013   #19
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Sampled only once, and it had the old fashioned taste to me. Most of my crop gets processed into tomato sauce and frozen, which means dh throws all the tomatoes in a bucket and I can't tell them apart, so I didn't compare flavors at different stages. Very good producer throughout the entire season for me. Excellent actually. Had no trouble ripening, but the shoulders did remain bright green. Did not split or puff after recent heavy , rainfall. Saved seeds for next season.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2013   #20
BriAnDaren
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
This tomato should not taste sweet. In ideal growing conditions, it, for me, is firm, with a rich tangy flavor. No sweetness, and no tartness.
Gary
Maybe we're both describing the same tomato!
Yes, agreed, SNFLA is not sweet at all. But I thought tangy = tart = acidic = old fashion = bite = zippy = sour. I could be wrong.

How do people define these terms which, for me, are all synonyms?

Daren
BriAnDaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2013   #21
emcd124
Tomatovillian™

For me when it matures fully, as shown in my photos above, it no longer has the green shoulders. I thought it had a good balance of flavor but I would not call it particularly acidic nor particularly sweet. For reference it was definitely less sour/zippy than Rutgers, a popular benchmarker. Its productivity and disease resistance during a mediocre growing season really makes it a standout for me.

Though I would agree with Tormato that the tomatoes produced during the wettest part of the summer were bland, and had some cracking issues, but those produced during moderate watering were very good, particularly given its other characteristics. In a summer in which my Cherokee Purple, KBX, and Gold Medal all just sat there and did nothing, each producing only about four tomatoes by this point, I have harvested well over a dozen SNFLA each in the 16-20 oz range. Its neighboring plants are now heavily under the spell of septoria, and it still has very few spots on it. So far this is the only one I am certainly growing again next year.
emcd124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2013   #22
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
After many years of trialing SNFLA, I've finally had mixed results. The early tomatoes were great. Then after three rain storms in one week the next batch to ripen were almost bland, interiors were mushy and also had puffiness. The late ones returned to having great flavor.

Filling in the history, thanks to Neil Gillard from Ontario ("retiree" here at T'ville) who saw the J.O. initials and suspected it was Jason Olson from Kansas. He contacted Jason and confirmed that seeds were sent to David Lemasters, and then David sent them to me. Jason's original source was Heirloom Seeds. He still has his original seed pack (Red Brandywine) from 1999.

Gary
So, SNFLA is actually Red Brandywine, or did I misunderstand?

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2013   #23
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
So, SNFLA is actually Red Brandywine, or did I misunderstand?

Marsha
Marsha,

SNFLA is a pink tomato. It showed up in my garden, from a seed out of a pack labeled as Red Brandywine. Red Brandywine it is not.

Gary
Old September 30, 2013   #24
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Marsha,

SNFLA is a pink tomato. It showed up in my garden, from a seed out of a pack labeled as Red Brandywine. Red Brandywine it is not.

Gary
Thanks Gary,
Glad to hear that, because I am growing it now. Also growing Red Brandywine.

Marsha
Old October 1, 2013   #25
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks Gary,
Glad to hear that, because I am growing it now. Also growing Red Brandywine.

Marsha
You're growing Red Brandywine, as long as it's not '99 seed from Jason.
Old October 1, 2013   #26
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
You're growing Red Brandywine, as long as it's not '99 seed from Jason.
Especially with bought seeds.
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2013   #27
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

who is Jason?

Marsha
Old October 1, 2013   #28
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
who is Jason?

Marsha
See thread #22. Jason Olson from Kansas.

Patti
Old December 19, 2013   #29
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Just harvested my first one and ate it. The flavor, and texture is over the top! Thank you for these seeds, Dr. Love Apple.

Marsha
Old July 26, 2014   #30
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Sorry to be late to the party.

I grew this one last season here in the Philippines.I don't document the tomatoes I grow as well as perhaps I should,but I liked this tomato.It wasn't the most flavorful,but it had pretty darn good flavor and yielded well for me here.This is one that I will grow every year,as I do like it very much.A hearty "Thank You" to the kind member who shared these with me.

BTW:There was no stitching present.
Tropicalgrower is offline   Reply With Quote