Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 13, 2007   #31
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Not sure why I went over to look at Amishland...but I did and had to laugh at the tomatoes she lists as VERY RARE--like Stump of the World.

It's a shame that she takes such liberties to entice those who may not know much about tomatoes and such...
Old March 14, 2007   #32
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I'm really concerned that not only is renaming and rehistorying happening in Canada, but it is being done by SODC executive and then 'shared' south of the border.

E.G., Glenn Drowns has way too much stuff that is re or incorrectly named Canuck via a particular person of 'standing' here in the Great White North. This person has already abbreviated names he thinks are too long, incorrectly translated 'Russian' stuff, and running his for- profit seed company IMHO very much in conflict of interest with his position at SODC. We won't even talk about the potential genetic nightmare at PGRC as folks 'approved' for the Canadian Tomato project save at least 10 fruits from only 1 required plant per variety.

Suggestions about how to address this appreciated. Direct contact with this person has been extremely ineffective. No cease and desist, let alone correction as he thinks he is doing nothing wrong. Lord, help me.

Am seeing a lot of spin-off effects in this year's catalogues from SODC seed company-owning members. Amishland North.

Jennifer, anal preservation person

Last edited by cdntomato; March 14, 2007 at 09:15 AM.
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2007   #33
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

There is also a Shah(Mikado White) Potato Leaf list on page 442 of the Seed Savers Yearbook. So seems to be everywhere.
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2007   #34
missionrandy
Tomatovillian™

Purchased seeds from Amishland, before I heard about problems. All plants turned out exactly as described on the site, no surprises...

Glad I never purchased wrongly named seeds!

Randy
Old July 19, 2007   #35
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Randy I had the same experience. Better than I can say for another vendor. And that vendor's problems are documented on several forums. Amishlands have done well. Jay
Old July 20, 2007   #36
missionrandy
Tomatovillian™

Hi Jay,

I am like yourself, absolutely no problems with Amishland!
Much more problems with other noted seed sources...
Amishland sold me exactly what was described, with good service and very good germination rates. I wouldn't hesitate from purchasing once more... I can't say that about a few Canadian and American sources though!

I am very picky on the seed vendours I deal with...

Take care,
Randy
Old July 20, 2007   #37
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Folks, its not about whether their seeds germinate, their service is good or their tomatoes taste fine. It is all about charging exhorbitant prices for 10 seeds because histories are fabricated to make a variety look like something other than it is.
Old July 20, 2007   #38
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

My experience has been she(Amishland) has always included way more than the stated amount of seeds. I would rather pay a little more and get what is described than Cherokee Purples that end up PL and produce orange fruit. Or Rose tomatoes that are not Rose. And this a vendor recommended on this site and many others. There is also several other sites that list varieties wrong. I have kept track and it would be a long list. But most must not consider this a priority as I do. Tomato Fest and Amishland may both be a little higher but the germination is great, the service great, willing to offer help and seeds grow true to description. After purchasing from I think 14 vendors this year I will probably only use 4-6 in the future unless there is something I just feel I want to try I can't get elsewhere. Sandhill is another I had a real good experience with. This is just my experience. Jay
Old July 20, 2007   #39
missionrandy
Tomatovillian™

Jay,

I would like to add Tomato Growers Supply to the recommended list of suppliers. Their seeds always grow true, great germination and no names made up for variety.

Craig,

I understand the fabricating of some of Amishlands varieties. A few I would question also, and the prices are fairly steep. This is where the internet comes in handy to research varieties... If something is different, call them on it!

I would rather pay a little more and get what is described in the write up. Alot of us get tired of purchasing seeds from a noted seed source, put lots of time and care into growing something, just to find we are growing something we never paid for... It feels like a complete waste of time!Currently, I can't say that about Amishland... I sure can about a few others that are listed on Tomatoville!

Those are my experiences so far, maybe not all...

Thank-you,
Randy
Old July 20, 2007   #40
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Randy,
I agree with Tomato Growers Supply. But they list 3 Red Brandywines when there is one. Not a problem now that I know which is the correct one. Before that I just thought I was growing Red Branywine. Like I said most have some variety either misnamed or mislabeled. TGS is one I will continue to use. In my opinion it comes down to what standards you wish to apply. In my case I know what the price is and don't have to buy it if I think I can get something I'll like elsewhere cheaper.
When it concerns Amishland I've found the majority who have critical remarks to make have never bought from her. I'm not sure how you can make a fair judgement when you have never done business with a supplier. In my case those who I have critical remarks to say about them are all I have done business with and in every case a vendor who is recommended here. So I feel I can make fair judgements about them. I'm assuming I must put more weight on honesty, germination rate, willingness to help and varieties growing true than others. In the end each of us is entitled to our opinions. Happy Gardening to all. Jay
Old July 20, 2007   #41
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

It's frustrating to keep seeing that you have had bad experience with well-regarded vendors.

A blacklist, not to mention a list of recommended vendors is only valuable if concern and praise are given freely and openly without fear of retribution not only from the vendors, but the people who made that list.

Much to the exacerbation of some of my friends, I always prefer the truth.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2008   #42
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

2008 updates from Amishland:
http://www.amishlandseeds.com/new2007_08.htm

RIESENTOMATE AUS SIEBENBURGEN - translates from German as " Bunchtomato from Siebenbьrgen( Transylvania) ~Rarest, Weirdest Tomato of All !~Looks Like Red BRAINS! ~ Must See!~ONLY USA SEED SOURCE!~(Note:This is NOT Riesenstraube Tomato)
VOYAGE TOMATO ~ SUPER RARE- Looks like Red Brains~Almost identical to "Riesentomate aus Siebenbьrgen" Tomato

"MONOMAKH`S HAT " RUSSIAN TOMATO -Translated from "SHAPKA MONOMAHA"~Only USA source! ~Limited Quantities~Monster Sized Fruit!~LIMIT 1 PACK PER CUSTOMER
RUSSIAN BOGATYR TOMATO ~( Translates as "Russian Warrior") ~Only USA Source~A tomato Worth Fighting For

and many others VERY RARE varieties from THE ONLY SOURCE IN USA! Sick of Lisa's lies...

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2008   #43
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

and many others VERY RARE varieties from THE ONLY SOURCE IN USA! Sick of Lisa's lies...

Yes Andrey, many of us know Lisa and her lies, and how I wish you'd let us know you were planning to send some varieties to her a few years ago b'c many of us would have told you not to become associated with her.

Every time I go to that site I get upset, and I go to it only when someone has asked a question about a specific variety she lists.

When she was asked to appear at GW to defend herself she said that she was trying to make varieties sound unique, which was her excuse for renaming Green Grape Eenie Weenie, or something like, that as well as changing the name of Cherokee Purple to Native American. and more.
Old January 25, 2008   #44
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
2008 updates from Amishland:
http://www.amishlandseeds.com/new2007_08.htm

VOYAGE TOMATO ~ SUPER RARE- Looks like Red Brains~Almost identical to "Riesentomate aus Siebenbьrgen" Tomato

That one is absolutely a lie. I saw that just the other day at JLHudson & posted it here for someone who was looking for something resembling that description - and that page has not changed in some time!
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2008   #45
babylark
Tomatovillian™

The first and only time I met her, since she is local to me, I thought...oh great, someone to talk about heirloom tomatoes with. I told her I grew some of the tomatoes that she had displayed on her plate, like Big Rainbow and Striped Cavern. She said they were different varieties and spouted off some other names. I haven't seen anything else other then Striped Caverns called Striped Caverns. After that she then snubbed me off and chased someone else down. I wasn't impressed.