Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 5, 2021   #16
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Look at the internodes ,they are showing a lack of light,if you were to give them more light you will see that spacing be shorter between. I'm not criticizing your setup,I'm just pointing out that it can be improved with more light. They certainly aren't what most people call leggy, but if I was growing for competition I'd be a little concerned is all. I don't want to be offensive at all, they look really good for what you have to work with!!
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2021   #17
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Thanks.

Actually, there's no competition and frankly, I can't afford more sources as they might ruin my budget. Not the investment but their consumption. I am a pensioner after all.
I have taken no offence. We are here to help each other solve problems and sometimes just see there is a problem. If I sounded defensive, I apologize.

Yeah, the internodes could be shorter. Actually, that may be because they first got only day white light (6,500°K). The grow lights were added only on Dec 22. That is one thing I can change. Or they may have been a bit overfertilized.

Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2021   #18
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Awesome, Ii understand, your right on track,keep up the good work,and thanks for sharing!
Old January 5, 2021   #19
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello BJ,
I am not quite sure if the diffuser contains any luminophore to give the light its temperature. But it's a good idea. I'll give it a try.

The bulbs are 20W - 2,450 lm. Yes, 6,500°K. They are inexpensive here (8 bucks each - Czech made). The tube is 36W, 3,100 lm, 6,500°K too, Phillips T8. It's less efficient but provides some UV. That's why I use them in each window (5 altogether). And the LED grow bulbs are 54W each, red and blue. Chinese provenience ($16). No information about their light output. You can see I am economizing.

I was willing to spend more money on professional LED grow panels, but they only provide light from one direction and I am not happy with that. I tried hanging the sources just above the plants at the beginning and the plants got quite leggy. Day light here in the weather we've had for over two months is really poor. Just about 1,000 lux for 6 - 7 hours. I haven't seen the sun for weeks. Is it still there?
Milan HP
Old January 5, 2021   #20
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitridge View Post
Awesome, Ii understand, your right on track,keep up the good work,and thanks for sharing!
My pleasure.

Milan HP
Old January 5, 2021   #21
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Your entire set up is good enough to grow a healthy seedling to transplant stage. Slow steady growth is the way to go and you're doing great.

Too bad the lamps cost so much. I'm able to buy 100 watt, 6500K bulbs for less than a dollar. Zilotek brand, sometimes Feit for $2. Cheap enough to build very bright panels that can be stacked over head or vertically.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2021   #22
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

The plants do look stretched to me. But it is still impressive for an indoor grow.

If you're looking to take things to the next level, try seeking out a quantum board made up of Samsung LM301B (or LM301H) diodes.

And please don't stop posting pictures of your grow - we all enjoy them!
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2021   #23
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Here's the CXB 3590 with the passive heat sink, the bracket I put on so I could slide them up and down on a vertical pole,that way I could get good light coverage over the whole plant and not just the top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210105_170152.jpg (114.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 20210105_170136.jpg (101.7 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 20210105_170207.jpg (128.3 KB, 95 views)
Old January 6, 2021   #24
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbebs View Post
Your entire set up is good enough to grow a healthy seedling to transplant stage. Slow steady growth is the way to go and you're doing great.

Too bad the lamps cost so much. I'm able to buy 100 watt, 6500K bulbs for less than a dollar. Zilotek brand, sometimes Feit for $2. Cheap enough to build very bright panels that can be stacked over head or vertically.
You are probably talking about a LED bulb equivalent to a 100W incandescent bulb in output. Those are not as cheap here as in the US but cheap enough: up to $3.

I give the real input of the LED bulb. Modern white LED bulbs produce well over 120lm/W, fluorescent tubes about 80lm/W or a bit more. So my LED bulb is equivalent to a 200-Watt classical bulb. LED red and blue grow sources emit specific wavelengths and measuring the output in lumen isn't useful. So do grow panels.

Some people use LED tubes, either day white or grow light, possibly combined. I haven't tried them.

Milan HP
Old January 6, 2021   #25
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

The CXB 3590 chips are great. 180lm/W. Wow.

I looked them up on the Internet and they are available here. But I found one thing strange: none of them (lots of models) 6,500°K or so. Just 3,000 Kelvin. A 6-light panel costs over $1,000. And they said: perfect for hemp. I haven't gone that far yet.
Milan HP
Old January 6, 2021   #26
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

They have the CXBs in 2700,3000,4500,5000,6500k, they are $30.00 each,and then you would need the heat sink for each one,they are very easy to assemble and then that way you can configure them however you like. I'm glad to help you if you need.
Old January 6, 2021   #27
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much.
Actually, I have changed my approach and I'll give them some more light. I'll try to find some CXB-chip-based lights at 6,500 Kelvin. And I'll add some LED grow lights which I already have as my tomatoes just started blooming.Namely Sophie's Choice and Nelinka. I want them to have fruits indoor and they'll go onto the balcony as soon as the weather is warmer. I reckon a bit of generosity won't harm.

I now understand that there's quite a difference between "stretching" and "leggy".

Milan HP
Old January 8, 2021   #28
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

I've gone through the Internet more in detail and found a German company that offers all color temperatures. And the prices are similar to those in the USA: about €27. But they have long delivery times, so I'll leave it for late this year when my winter season starts. And I will consult you about the heat absorbers or whatever you call them. My tomatoes deserve the investment.

Thank you for the offer.
Milan HP
Old January 8, 2021   #29
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Glad to help in any way that I can!
Old January 9, 2021   #30
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I was just virtually shopping for a 3' T8 for my only non LED fixture. Seems all that is available is now LED. Everything else I have are older Sunblaster or VivoSun. I do like the idea of a combination. Wish I could find a handful of bulbs to stash away.

I am concerned about eye damage with the newer fixtures. I have 2 red/blue led's purchased years ago at much higher prices still in box for this reason. Are the newer products coming with any sort of warning? Thoughts ?

Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote